Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

I did say it could be a Metroidvania, but that overworld is pretty compelling as a 'this is a JRPG' feature. Though, I'll be honest, I've not played much Super Mario World; life's too short to waste away on bad games, you know?

i'd say it's safe to say that SMW, widely considered to be the best game of all time, is a platformer. not sure how world or galaxy could be seen as JRPGs. surely noone really thinks this.

I definitely believe Super Mario World is a JRPG (or possibly a Metroidvania), and is also a bad game (as opposed to a game in a genre I don't enjoy. Which it obviously isn't, because it's a JRPG (which I don't mind) or a Metroidvania (which I actively enjoy), as opposed to a platformer (which I usually dislike)).

I do occasionally worry that my sense of humour — such as e.g. demonstrating the difficulty of safely defining genres by glibly categorising any games with an unlock-based open-world as being metroidvanias, and expanding that logic to treating all games with an over- or hubworlds as being JRPGs — is a little niche. I amuse myself, at least!

(also, Super Mario RPG is obviously a Rhythm Action game. All those timing-based inputs; what else could it be?)

Edit: actually, I might meaningfully be wrong on that last one; is that only the Paper Mario games that features the timing-based combat system?

11 hours ago, Wiper said:

You know, I've been thinking about the categorisation some more, and while I think (outside of the 'multiple tags' option, which is quite viable, assuming anyone fancies coding up a quick database) it's largely a fool's errand, it did make me consider more the specific question I raised of 'should Metroidvania be its own genre?' — to which I think the answer is a resounding yes.

After all, it's widely acknowledged that the whole 'soulslike' subgenre is itself a form of Metroidvania, as it features the key 'semi-open world that you explore and expand your access to via the accrual of key items and/or abilities and/or traversing one-way sections to unlock previously closed access points' (distinct from JRPGs, which are similar, but usually feature an overworld or hub-world and generally lock progression via story, rather than key items/abilities).

So with that in mind, here's the top 20, correctly categorised:

20 Portal Puzzle

19 Mario Odyssey Platformer

18 Mario 64 JRPG

17 Final Fantasy VII JRPG

16 The Last of Us Stealth

15 Half Life 2 FPS

14 Mario Kart 8 Racing

13 Mario Galaxy JRPG

12 Ocarina of Time Metroidvania

11 Metroid Prime Metroidvania

10 Mass Effect 2 RPG

9 Link to the Past Metroidvania

8 Rez Rez

7 Dark Souls Metroidvania

6 Super Mario World JRPG

5 Bloodborne Metroidvania

4 Halo FPS

3 Elden Ring Metroidvania

2 Resident Evil 4 Metroidvania

1 Breath of the Wild Metroidvania

So that's your top 20: 8 Metroidvanias (6 in the top 10), 4 JRPGs, 2 FPS's, 1 RPG, 1 racing, 1 stealth, 1 puzzle, 1 platformer and 1 Rez. Although Mario 64, Galaxy and SMW could arguably be Metroidvanias rather than JRPGs, as though featuring over/hub-worlds, progression is based on the accrual of key items of a sort, rather than simple linear story advancement. And, well, Demon's Souls has a hub, and it's definitely a Metroidvania rather than a JRPG, so...

tom-cruise-what.gif

10 hours ago, Wiper said:

I definitely believe Super Mario World is a JRPG (or possibly a Metroidvania), and is also a bad game (as opposed to a game in a genre I don't enjoy. Which it obviously isn't, because it's a JRPG (which I don't mind) or a Metroidvania (which I actively enjoy), as opposed to a platformer (which I usually dislike)).

Holy shit :lol:

11 hours ago, Wiper said:

I do occasionally worry that my sense of humour — such as e.g. demonstrating the difficulty of safely defining genres by glibly categorising any games with an unlock-based open-world as being metroidvanias, and expanding that logic to treating all games with an over- or hubworlds as being JRPGs — is a little niche. I amuse myself, at least!

(also, Super Mario RPG is obviously a Rhythm Action game. All those timing-based inputs; what else could it be?)

Edit: actually, I might meaningfully be wrong on that last one; is that only the Paper Mario games that features the timing-based combat system?

TIL a simple text post can cause me physical pain. 

45 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Dark Souls combat is very dependent on good timing too, so there’s another rhythm action game. It can take the place of Beatles Rock Band, since that’s obviously an RPG (you play the roles of the various Beatles after all)

:lol:

1 hour ago, SMD said:

this is why we always needed negs

I do miss my occasional negstorm :(

1 hour ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Dark Souls combat is very dependent on good timing too, so there’s another rhythm action game. It can take the place of Beatles Rock Band, since that’s obviously an RPG (you play the roles of the various Beatles after all)

Don't be ridiculous! Beatles Rock Band is obviously a multiplayer JRPG; the levelling system and progression are quite linear, with very limited choices or customisation available to the player. RPG indeed :rolleyes:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b0920e511e6aaa8ae4b12c67b4136fe0.png

For no one, other than my future self, I've ranked each of the top 100 out of 5 (initial gut feeling - add 5 to each to get the mark out of ten, so a 1 is really a 6.) I've played  94. completed 51 and have 29 I want to return too.  Think I might try to systematically work through the list before the next vote.

My 5/5s. (aka my 'Edge 10s') were:

93 Doom

79 Rhythm Tengoku

71 The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

64 Demon’s Souls

61 Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

50 WarioWare, Inc: Mega Microgames!

49 Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

47 Advance Wars

40 Minecraft

37 Return of the Obra Dinn

35 The Last of Us Part II

34 Slay the Spire

23 Outrun 2

19 Super Mario Odyssey

16 The Last of Us

15 Half-Life 2

14 Mario Kart 8

13 Super Mario Galaxy

12 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

7 Dark Souls

5 Bloodborne

3 Elden Ring

2 Resident Evil 4

1 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

But he was so right in classing Zelda as a Metroidvania. 

-edit-

More thought and further reading suggest they are not as similar as I first thought. Although they both employ the structure explore > obtain new item > use new item to explore further, they do so in a fairly distinct manner from each other. IceKrabby on Reddit  sums it up best

In Zelda you get a cool gadget and it's used for its dungeon, maybe once or twice in the overworld, and then it rots in your inventory. The exception to this seems to be the bow and bombs, and occasionally the hookshot. In a Metroid game, you get a new ability and you use that ability constantly from then on, even in old places you've "beaten" already. The Morphball, bombs, missiles, elemental beams, etc. Almost every power-up in Metroid is used pretty consistently once you get it.

18 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

In Zelda you get a cool gadget and it's used for its dungeon, maybe once or twice in the overworld, and then it rots in your inventory.

If someone makes a Zelda game where you have to consistently use each item, I think it would still feel like a Zelda game.

I'm not an expert or anything, but to me there are 2 important differences between a Zelda game and a metroidvania.

- In a Zelda game there's a clear separation between overworld and dungeons.  In a metroidvania it's just one large world.

- Metroidvanias are usually side-scrollers, and Zelda games are usually either top-down or 3D (although both genres have their exceptions).

If you move away from the side of the well in Tetris because you need to obtain the long piece (matron) so that you can return to the side and clear four lines using your newly obtained long piece, does that make it a Metroidvania?

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!