Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

23 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

I never got around to playing it!

Not as good as Wave race obviously, but it was very good the AI were bastards and occasionally you'd get wiped out when a racer cuts across your front wheel. Would be interesting to see how it plays to a newcomer 20 years later.

Really surprised to see RE2 Remake not make the cut. An absolute technical achievement for last gen, and an achievement for remakes. 

The only reason it is not number 1 for me, is that they cut the best line from the original.

"Hold your fire! I'm a human" 

With the exception of Pokémon, that's a set of games I love right there (albeit not quite Top 20 love). All brilliant examples of their respective genres, and I'm delighted to see Prey get more recognition this time around (I'm also pleased, but a lot less surprised to see Hollow Knight do the same; probably one of the games that most keenly felt "the Switch effect" — and, to be fair, that was best suited to that platform).

Good to see Asylum in the list. It's the best batman game because it's a metroidvania at its core. And as Benny said a much tighter experience. 

Ooh, the best Final Fantasy game, and the second-best Zelda.* Also, to my mind, the best looking games in their respective series. I imagine they might even score higher if it weren't for competition from their own stablemates!

I really am due a replay of FFVI. The thing that keeps tripping me up is: which version? 

*discounting Zelda games that aren't Zelda, like Little Big Adventure; or Zeldas that aren't Zelda games, like Hyrule Warriors

Yeah, I've picked up a habit of doing one or two big retro playthroughs each year, and VI was one that I always wanted to do. The random battles are a bit much but there are a lot of satisfying moments elsewhere. (Also I tried playing it on a bunch of things before sticking with it, so I think I have this one unfinished save on my SNES Mini that's been bugging me forever... :P )

59 minutes ago, Benny said:

(Relative position and change based on 2017 scoring: 68, No change)

I’m sure I’m being daft here but I don’t understand how most of the changes from 2017 work. Wind Waker is 71 now, not 68. Similarly I don’t get how Arkham Asylum has shifted 102 places moving from 74 to 73. On this page only FFVI makes sense to me. 

Simple: if the 2017 scoring method had been used for this new list, it would have placed at 68th place. It placed 68th in 2017, so there was no change in placing relatively, in a like for like scoring comparison to 2017.

Arkham Asylum was 176th place in 2017 so it went up 102 based only on 2017 scoring, which if this list has used that would put it at 74.

If FFVI had used 2017 scoring it would be at 73. In 2017 it was 74. With 2022 scoring it's 72. So it has gone up 1 since 2017 if 2022 scoring is changed back to 2017.

Do you see?

It's the main antagonist from FFXIV Shadowbringers.

Dude wants to bring the end of everything and yet you find yourself almost nodding along thinking 'man has a point'.

I hear nothing but good things about it and it bums me out that I'll never get to experience it because I don't like* mmo games :( Why aren't they able to make a single player FF of the same quality? It makes no goddamn sense, XIV proves that they can but when it comes to the solo games they just... refuse, apparently.

*No, not even playing solo. The basic structure and loop if any mmo puts me off for some reason 

5 hours ago, Wiper said:

I really am due a replay of FFVI. The thing that keeps tripping me up is: which version? 

The US version of FFIII (SNES, obvs.) with the Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition romhack.

The goal was to make the SNES version uncut and to clean up the script but keep the nuance used by Woolsey in the original game’s release. Using the original Woolsey script as a basis to analyze, the entire game was looked through, line by line, using FFVI Advance, RPGOne, and Lina Darkstar to accomplish this. Recently, the game’s script was also heavily analyzed by Kwhazit and Mato (Legends of Localization). With these newer and more heavily detailed looks into the game, the script was again updated to provide a much more accurate version while still remaining true to the original game’s release.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!