Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

Sekiro didn't make my list but I absolutely respect its MO - outside of your customisation options (combat arts, prosthetics) you have one kind of swing, and a block, and a dodge, and that's about it. And you can scrape through many encounters with just those things. A lot of battles feel like a rhythm game; block a combo to learn the timings, then when you see the combo again, work some parries in. Some of the boss fights got a bit gimmicky, but the battles against fodder enemies and the "general"-type minibosses were always a fun dance of blocks and parries.

That being said, I don't think I ever landed a Mikiri counter outside of the training zone. :blush:  If it weren't for the more useful skills locked behind it, I wouldn't even bother with the upgrade...

Bloody love Sekiro. Need to replay it. Anyone who enjoyed it should definitely check out this year's Sifu, which is similarly excellent, even if its trappings aren't quite as memorable.

Despite having access to a Master System back in the day I never had experience of that version personally.

I also didn't mention how absolute garbage the Atari ST version is. Terrible port.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@Wiper I now regret voting for Thief The Dark Project alongside you to give the boy Garrett more points. If I'd known, I would have voted for my true love: Thief II: The Metal Age and Benny would have hotpicked it :(

You say that like it would have been a sure thing.

Spoiler

Unlucky!

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

You say that like it would have been a sure thing.

Hide contents

Unlucky!

I can't think of any other game that would have been more guaranteed to be a hotpick. It's not just objectively still by far the best in its genre even after more than two decades, it's also a classic golden era PC game made by none other than Looking Glass - you wouldn't have been able to resist :)

11 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I can't think of any other game that would have been more guaranteed to be a hotpick. It's not just objectively still by far the best in its genre even after more than two decades, it's also a classic golden era PC game made by none other than Looking Glass - you wouldn't have been able to resist :)

I know what I like it's true.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Never has truer words been spoken

Ah, The Worst Looking Glass Game™. Which isn't actually much of a criticism, frankly.

(possibly the later Flight Unlimited games have a claim to that title, as they were certainly unusually unambitious for the studio, where Terra Nova was intriguing but not quite there — a year or two too early to successfully achieve its aims)

And that's the essence of the HOTPICK: not always the best, not always the most legendary, but whatever the whims of Benny have caused him to exclaim "oh yes!" when casting his roving eye over the list of single vote games.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

Console conversions also vary in quality, with the PC Engine version being seemingly arcade perfect.

Yeah, it was a strange situation. The Hu-card version came on 2 carts, but the CD version was *chef's kiss*

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!