Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

I noticed that SoR4 gets some tasty discounts these days if you're patient; it was 50% off in the recent Steam Summer sale. (I still haven't bought it yet because there are so many other things I have to get around to... :blush: )

8 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I noticed that SoR4 gets some tasty discounts these days if you're patient; it was 50% off in the recent Steam Summer sale. (I still haven't bought it yet because there are so many other things I have to get around to... :blush: )

Sor4 is really really really good and should take precedence.

Waited ages for one of my choices to show up then two back to back. I doubt either will ever leave my top 20, they are anti depressants in videogame form. Going for those S-Ranks on SOR4 on the hardest difficulties is an almost transcendent experience. 

The fact they appeared together, is just yet another bit of list serendipity. Though SoR4 only pipped its predecessor, with SoR2 gaining relative places from before, because we're using the new scoring system, as you can see from the stats.

12 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Waited ages for one of my choices to show up then two back to back. I doubt either will ever leave my top 20, they are anti depressants in videogame form. Going for those S-Ranks on SOR4 on the hardest difficulties is an almost transcendent experience. 

The guys who worked on the scoring system clearly understood Bayonetta, where that isn’t just ‘almost’ a transcendent experience.

Always hated those screenshots of WoW. When you know what you're looking at it's very clear whoever took that picture had a motive to try depict the game as a mess. Like 80% of the tabs on that screen are unnecessary and I'd go as far to say half of them are actively useless. 

Tch, some of us were introduced to the majesty of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds via the majesty of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds: The Computer Game! Which is actually a not-terrible 3D-real-time-battle/2D-turn-based-grand-strategy hybrid made by Rage a couple of years before Shogun: Total War showed everyone how it's really done. Teenage me liked it.

In other news, Rock Band 3 and Wipeout Omega Collection are both brilliant (5th and 50th favourite games on my list, respectively), so a nice showing here.

I think Wipeout OC(+VR) and Rock Band 3 were somewhere in the 20s for me and just missed out from being in my final list - they're great picks though.

9 hours ago, Benny said:

only to get frustrated at my lack of skill or progress, only for the randomisation to make it feel like there’s no real chance of actually learning levels to offset the increasing lack of hand-eye-coordination and reaction time

That's sounds like Spelunky 2 alright. The balance of the game is pretty messed up and ends up unenjoyable as a result. My experience with it was one of - it'll click soon - just a few more runs - but I realize this will never be the case. The first game is king (and likely the reason for the votes it picked up).

I only got around to CT last year, but it's great - and it joined FFVI in my own nominations for this poll. The structure and pacing works so well - the game has titled chapters revealed as you save, fostering a genuine sense of progress, and adventuring across different time periods prevent the journey from feeling stale. It's the kind of format that would suit a Saturday morning animated series, and the charming presentation and writing only reinforce that.

I remember missing out on Freq/Amp and eventually scouring the internet for used copies that weren't scratched to pieces, but it was worth it. Amp was slightly kinder with its green arrows and things, but Freq has a really nice vibe of its own. Also, I still have What's The Five-O in my iTunes library (and I eventually ended up buying the JB album on CD...)

E: And the freestyle remix mode thing was surprisingly fun too.

Man. Those moments when your fingers work faster than your brain. The instructions going straight from the screen and into your hands, bypassing your consciousness entirely. Turning you into one of those player pianos, just churning out the noises as the inputs are fed into you. Absolute fucking magic. 

Frequency was so good. I really feel that they messed up the formula with Amplitude by having a flat lane, the game just didn't flow as well. 

Never finished Frequency though, the final few tracks were insanely hard. 

4 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Can you still play Frequency on anything? It seems absolutely like my cup of tea but I only played the demo back in the day. 

Emulation is probably your best bet if you have a PC or Xbox Series console.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!