IGNORED

Playing retro games is such a better user experience

It is rare to find a game that you can describe as "feature complete" today because everything's more expensive to develop and so everyone needs to make money back through whatever means possible. Never mind the idea that nobody asked for everything to be big-budget, or that we're looking at seasonal roadmaps like they're second jobs.

I've quite enjoyed playing through things like FFV Advance for the first time this year - the story probably wasn't as deep as later games, but it ate up about 38 hours of my time with uninterrupted dungeoning and exposition, not to mention a great little job system that gave you plenty of options for your party. That said, modern games still have occasional exceptions - games that offer a generous experience for the cost of the game with no other necessary charges (Yakuza, Persona), indies that are self-contained or supported with awesome free updates (Deltarune, Celeste, Katana Zero)... you just have to dig a little to find it.

And yeah, having a dedicated retro handheld (RG35x, RS97, etc) also helps to get away from modern gaming hurdles - it's a nice way of amassing a big library of games that you can get into within seconds :) 

Yes!  I totally agree. I really hate when people say why do you play those old games.

No massively long cut scenes (appreciate a good story but not great when you don't have a great attention span), you don't need to worry about dlc and the games are usually a manageable lengh.

I think to me, the lengh of the games encourage multiple playthroughs (if you are someone that enjoys that).

The endless updates we're the worst part of the PS4 generation for me. I spent a lot of time playing The Division. It was constant updates to the PS4, then the game, then it'd take 10 minutes to load into the game. It could be a bloody nightmare. I bought Days Gone the other week and left it for 8 hours to install and download the updates etc.

27 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

The endless updates we're the worst part of the PS4 generation for me. I spent a lot of time playing The Division. It was constant updates to the PS4, then the game, then it'd take 10 minutes to load into the game. It could be a bloody nightmare. I bought Days Gone the other week and left it for 8 hours to install and download the updates etc.

The worst for me was COD Modern Warfare 2019. I think my PS4 ended up being on for several hours to download the updates and then it turned out that was just for warzone or something? And then it had to download the actual game and i honestly think it took 12+hours in total before I could even play it.

I was only borrowing the game for the weekend so had to cram finishing the game in pretty quick. Luckily it only took 5 hours 😄

The new gen consoles have somewhat alleviated the pain. The downloads seem to get top speed and installing onto the SSD is much quicker, still a lot slower than popping your new Mega Drive cart in and playing though.

44 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

The new gen consoles have somewhat alleviated the pain. The downloads seem to get top speed and installing onto the SSD is much quicker, still a lot slower than popping your new Mega Drive cart in and playing though.

I agree. I think the Series X is the first console I've had in a while that feels better than a cartridge-based console in terms of usability. Stuff is always installed and updated for me (often from my phone long before I switch the console on). SSD loading speeds are great. Instant On. Quick Resume.

Not coincidentally I find myself playing more often. I'm pretty sure updates, loading times and finding save points were a substantial disincentive for me in bothering, always seemed like a job of work after my actual job. Now I can stop and start as I please, a controller always within reach for when the moment strikes.

7 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I agree. I think the Series X is the first console I've had in a while that feels better than a cartridge-based console in terms of usability. Stuff is always installed and updated for me (often from my phone long before I switch the console on). SSD loading speeds are great. Instant On. Quick Resume.

Not coincidentally I find myself playing more often. I'm pretty sure updates, loading times and finding save points were a substantial disincentive for me in bothering, always seemed like a job of work after my actual job. Now I can stop and start as I please, a controller always within reach for when the moment strikes.

Yeah it’s getting better, especially with stuff on game pass which you can be pre-download days before release.

But for me the biggest concern is with most publishers focusing on GaaS with constant updates and DLC. There are some games that feel more like a second job rather than a piece of entertainment. And others that simply do not have an ending. I’d much rather have a game that can be beaten in a few hours which I can always go back to than a game that takes hundreds of hours of grinding or doing repetitive tasks that are there for padding which I will never touch again after finishing it. Games like Mario, Banjo-Kazooie, Goldeneye, Zelda, sonic, panzer dragoon, Halo, Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3 and Pokémon are some series that I have been playing regularly for over 20 years and most of them I do play through every year, and I never get bored of them. Resident Evil 1 and Mario 64 are two for example that I must have finished at least a hundred times each over the years, I know them inside out but never get bored with them, which is something that I cannot say for most modern games.

A lot of these issues of course don't generally exist in many modern indie games as well. Though of course you still have to actually play them on consoles/PCs that need constant updates.

Kind of makes you wonder how the new gen consoles became successful. Often relying on wringing out franchises (no creativity), focus on graphics over gameplay, the move to medialess formats (essentially GaaS so no secondary market), micro transactions or DLC for what should just have been part of the base game, and interminable download / update cycle, etc. etc. Doesn't feel like progress really.

I guess when you're a kid you're much more easily marketed to by the game companies and enough many families having more disposable income to support the industry than when I was a kid the proliferation of mediocrity persists. In my childhood, someone getting a new console or game was 'a thing', something special. Not everyone got the latest console for Christmas.

I wasn't into gaming back in the 80's market crash but understand that was brought on by a flood of poor quality content into the market that undermined consumer confidence. Wonder if we're tracking in the same direction now? 

48 minutes ago, new666uk said:

Kind of makes you wonder how the new gen consoles became successful. Often relying on wringing out franchises (no creativity), focus on graphics over gameplay, the move to medialess formats (essentially GaaS so no secondary market), micro transactions or DLC for what should just have been part of the base game, and interminable download / update cycle, etc. etc. Doesn't feel like progress really.

All of the games on my PS5 or XsX feature no creativity, a focus on graphics of gameplay, don't come on disc, are all GaaS types with micro-transactions and DLC that was deliberately cut from the main game?
Shiiiiiiiiiiit, better get mine on eBay asap!

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

All of the games on my PS5 or XsX feature no creativity, a focus on graphics of gameplay, don't come on disc, are all GaaS types with micro-transactions and DLC that was deliberately cut from the main game?
Shiiiiiiiiiiit, better get mine on eBay asap!

But isn't Fifa 23 just around the corner? I heard it's gonna look awesome!

Menus I often hugely prefer on older games. These huge icon driven, laggy menus are horrible and have been a feature for about ten years too. I find, especially with racing and football games now is the presentation is often really obnoxious. 

Also miss a good intro. 

As a counter-point - I spent years getting paid to play thousands of retro games when I was working at Antstream. And although I love retro games, I couldn't shake the feeling that in 99 percent of cases, even the most derivative, formulaic, mainstream modern game (COD, FIFA etc were the sort of things I was thinking of) offers more gameplay value than your average 30+ year old game. 

To counter balance...

I just started Grandia. I had to sit through the same trailer cutscene TWICE and then fannied around for ages unable to pick up things for a treasure hunt because I didnt talk to the same person twice in a row.

Still, great game ...10/10 stuff.

I feel retro games are better now there are guides online to get you past some "what the fuck am I meant to be doing" moments that games cant get away with now as the target audience isn't a bunch of kids with nothing else better to do than try everything. 

It really makes me laugh/quite upset when people dismiss the MiSTer for being such a faff. Granted, it has some initial build and setup which will take you an afternoon, but once that’s out of the way it’s nothing but retro consolised goodness. The user experience is so minimal and nothing ever gets in the way of you purely enjoying just the games.

Having a dashboard which constantly tries to force stuff into my eyeballs is not something I want to have to look at every time I turn a video game console on. I don’t miss that from my X360 days (2005-2020). I’ve not owned either of the ‘core’ (lol) machines since. The Switch is just fine though - Nintendo still get it.

6 hours ago, Fallows said:

It really makes me laugh/quite upset when people dismiss the MiSTer for being such a faff. Granted, it has some initial build and setup which will take you an afternoon, but once that’s out of the way it’s nothing but retro consolised goodness. The user experience is so minimal and nothing ever gets in the way of you purely enjoying just the games.

Having a dashboard which constantly tries to force stuff into my eyeballs is not something I want to have to look at every time I turn a video game console on. I don’t miss that from my X360 days (2005-2020). I’ve not owned either of the ‘core’ (lol) machines since. The Switch is just fine though - Nintendo still get it.

MiSTer is great and its something I’m looking forward to getting in the future, but it is very much a hobbyist machine for people who enjoy tinkering with settings as much as playing the games themselves. Game compatibility is not 100% for every core and it is constantly being updated. I personally prefer a solution like Analogue’s consoles which is pretty much plug and play with compatibility with original cartridges and accessories. 

14 hours ago, Gabe said:

Whilst playing older games can certainly be a more streamlined experience, there's some serious rose-tinting going on in this thread. 

Obviously technical things in games like controls, graphics, framerates, interactivity, storytelling and camera controls have advanced dramatically, but in terms of the actual user experience of using the hardware and playing games on it in what ways are modern systems better? 

52 minutes ago, Major Britten said:

Obviously technical things in games like controls, graphics, framerates, interactivity, storytelling and camera controls have advanced dramatically, but in terms of the actual user experience of using the hardware and playing games on it in what ways are modern systems better? 

I'm sure others will have other stuff, but the most important ones for me:

Quick resume, wireless controllers as standard, profile and cloud save management, games that can actually have critical issues updated and patched (you can turn this off if you like, so it always slightly baffles me to see the presented as a blanket negative), and that's before we even start on accessibility stuff (system level button remapping is life changing shit for many players).

32 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

I'm sure others will have other stuff, but the most important ones for me:

Quick resume, wireless controllers as standard, profile and cloud save management, games that can actually have critical issues updated and patched (you can turn this off if you like, so it always slightly baffles me to see the presented as a blanket negative), and that's before we even start on accessibility stuff (system level button remapping is life changing shit for many players).

A big plus for playing on emulaltors and the likes. 

Running on modern hardware you can plug anything into, save states, save files you can just grab and dump anywhere, hacks and patches for old games to sort out critical bugs and translations. 

Looking forward to playing Final Fantasy 6 on SNES soon that is massively fixed up 

I love retro gaming, but as a counterpoint here's some things that blow about retro gaming:

Connectivity - having to spend three figures on a scaler to get a good picture on a modern display, or alternatively...

CRT - finding one that isn't A) Knackered B) Too Heavy C) Has a properly wired RGB Scart D) Still has the remote E) Can be propely calibrated

Cost - If you are still buying original software then getting good condition copies at a good price gets harder every year. Sega and Nintendo are going to savage your wallet.

Condition - Getting a new retro console is great but cleaning off 25 years of encrusted pad sweat is not. Likewise, tweaking laser pots, greasing mechanisms and other troubleshooting all come with the territory.

2 hours ago, Major Britten said:

MiSTer is great and its something I’m looking forward to getting in the future, but it is very much a hobbyist machine for people who enjoy tinkering with settings as much as playing the games themselves. Game compatibility is not 100% for every core and it is constantly being updated. I personally prefer a solution like Analogue’s consoles which is pretty much plug and play with compatibility with original cartridges and accessories. 

I've seen way more issues using the Analogue Super NT than the SNES core on the MiSter. The likes of garbled sprites when playing the Japanese version of Castlevania 4, and no it's not my cart. This was off an SD card using the Jailbreak. 

30 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I love retro gaming, but as a counterpoint here's some things that blow about retro gaming:

Connectivity - having to spend three figures on a scaler to get a good picture on a modern display, or alternatively...

CRT - finding one that isn't A) Knackered B) Too Heavy C) Has a properly wired RGB Scart D) Still has the remote E) Can be propely calibrated

Cost - If you are still buying original software then getting good condition copies at a good price gets harder every year. Sega and Nintendo are going to savage your wallet.

Condition - Getting a new retro console is great but cleaning off 25 years of encrusted pad sweat is not. Likewise, tweaking laser pots, greasing mechanisms and other troubleshooting all come with the territory.

Yeah I can't be bothered with any of that. Sure, i have the consoles but it's just easier to use emulators on the PC or something like the SNES classic. The ability of save states is a massive bonus too.

Handhelds though, i'm more than happy to use due to them just working.

It's all a bit "old man shouts at cloud" in here. Almost literally.

There was something about just plugging a cart in, flicking it on and starting the game.

But:

Gaming is so much better in every way now. Including in the things that are being listed as bad here. Patches fixing bugs and balance issues, so you aren't stuck with a buggy game full of difficulty spikes. Options for just about everything to customise your experience and make it all accessable. Digital delivery so you don't have to go into town and hope they have the game you want. Online gaming made really simple. Quick resume and easy saves. Cloud gaming.

It's all just ace and so much better than it used to be.