IGNORED

Why haven't we seen --- Insert your great game idea here

Rayn

On 25/06/2022 at 20:13, Azrael said:

Not a "Great game idea" but going to suggest something that's in very bad taste but without googling it i reckon there probably already are some along these lines out there. Basically a GTA style game where you play as a school shooter. So you have to source weapons, scout out the location and security etc then carry out the shooting and plan your escape/arrest/suicide. You could have different difficulty settings based on the country you select. So a US based level will have thousands of guns readily available to you but would run the risk of armed police or other school shooters, a level based in the UK might limit you to basic farm shotguns etc. No sane developer would ever make such a game (and rightfully so) but would probably sell well... 

Ehxt0wvU0AAkVxT.jpeg

I'd like to see more games about averting disasters/deaths rather than causing them.. 

I'm imagining something like Blast Corps, but instead of knocking down buildings, your construction vehicles are used to dig trenches to act as firebreaks during a forest fire, divert floodwater away from cities etc. Plus we're at a point where simulating earth being dug/moved about dynamically should be possible. 

Another idea would be something a little like Burning Rangers, but expanded to a whole futuristic emergency services response team that exist in a world of massive corporations each meddling with forces they barely understand and when things go wrong, our teams are sent into dangerous labs, bases and other space, underwater or generally hostile environments and the combined skills of each division are needed to help them  move through the environment, deal with various threats and rescue hostages/survivors. 

A AAA open world game set in a map the size of GTA3 but the gameworld reflects your actions. For instance if you to a building site for a school and steal some of the machines then construction work on that site either slows down or stops completely. If the school never gets completed then people with kids leave the area so you end up with an elderly population in that district. If it gets completed then a green area might be developed into a playground. Stuff like that but built around systems not scripted scenarios.

I know why open world games haven't gone that way and it's because of the constant demand for bigger worlds. When Crackdown 3 came out a lot of people said the game world was too small. The world seemed plenty big enough to me but there wasn't enough to do there. Making the world bigger wouldn't have addressed any of the games flaws. 

I wouldn't mind a new Sims kinda a game, but a proper next gen one. Choose to move to a suburb, countryside or even a city flat. Preferrably played from a first person perspective, building and/or decorating your home could be done Houseflipper style. You could incorporate several fun activities to do, like playing golf, bowling, darts, billiards, ride go carts, frisbee golf, mountain climbing, parachuting etc. Most of these things have already been done successfully in games like Yakuza and GTA. 

Choose a way of income, get a job or start your own business. If you decide to be an accountant, lorry driver, forklift operator, dentist...anything should be possible with their own rules and minigames. 

Get social and go out on dates, woo your dream partner etc. 

I think it'd be possible to throw in different campaign goals, like Become a Millionaire, become a leader in politics, become a sports star etc. 

Want to have a go at being a criminal? Go for it, but I'd love to see proper consequences if you get caught, not like in GTA where you can drive to the top of the mountain and hide for two minutes and everything is back to normal. Get caught in tax fraud, running someone over or whatever, it's jail time and potentially game over. 

Basically a sandbox game where every decision you make can have an impact on the game, good and bad. 

My AAA dream would be something like the original Tomb Raider but open world, and with no combat at all, totally focused on exploration and environmental navigation.

The challenge would be in climbing (which would involve skill and judgement), tunneling or otherwise finding ways into key locations that would house large puzzle-type 'dungeons' leading to plot-related stuff. There would also be key equipment upgrades to find that would add a Metroidy element, opening up new areas or making others easier to complete. But these wouldn't be simple lock and key type solutions - so, for example, a grappling hook wouldn't simply be a case of pressing a button to latch onto highlighted points, you'd have to look for branches etc. that might be strong enough to hold your weight and find a good position from which to make the throw. Also, most locations should have more than one way in and more than one way of reaching the end. There would also be some kind of story and maybe in certain areas you get to talk to someone via radio or something, but mostly you'd be on your own just observing the lie of the land and figuring shit out.

I figure if as a developer you're ditching combat and AI systems, you could concentrate resources on much more intricate and complex on the environmental stuff. I also don't think the open world would need to be especially large. But it won't happen because of course it would fail miserably.

The last time I played through Resident Evil on the GameCube I realised I was playing it in a rather strategic manner; heading to safe rooms then planning my next excursion to pick up whatever magic key thing I needed, making sure I picked the right weapons and ammo for the journey then attempting to pick off the zombies in the most efficient way, trying to pile them up on top of each other so I could burn them up with as few uses of the lighter as I could. (I mean, this is probably the way it's meant to be played but I was usually more focused on the story/action.)

Which basically led me to the entirely original idea of Resident Evil Tactics, like Fire Emblem but with zombies.

Ok how about a first person story-based game set in nested realities both real and fictional, kind of Gorogoa meets Obra Dinn. Gobragoa. So any photograph, painting, television, book etc is a portal you could click on to instantly jump into that world. Still images would lead to frozen dioramas like Obra Dinn, videos would be short non-interactive time loops, maybe books would be interactive scenarios - all nested, so you could jump into a film, then into a painting that appears in the film, then into a book that’s part of the painting etc etc. The hub worlds would be libraries and art galleries and stuff. You’d pick up objects and carry them between worlds to solve puzzles, and they’d behave differently in different places - like a frozen clock in a photograph would start moving if you took it into a film. The portal objects themselves could be transportable if you wanted to make it really complicated. You’d go deeper and deeper into worlds within worlds and at the end you’d loop back round into the central hub, so like what even is reality, are we all just characters in a book or something, woah. Pick up the phone Annapurna.