NVIDIA 4090 $1599 Oct 12 4080 16gb $1199 4080 12gb (basically 4070ti) $899 Nov - stay warm this winter

Uzi

8 hours ago, Uzi said:

Hit ultra - forget about it

Hence why I want the 90

33 minutes ago, Len said:

This is me, definitely.

No, no no. You need to spend hours fucking around with settings or you're just not doing it right :P

Bloody hell, I missed the price of these things. Gives me a whole level of appreciation for what a technical marvel the current crop of consoles are in terms of value and barrier to entry. 

My eyes were watering at the 3000 series prices. This time around I’m holding an official week of grief and asking people not to ride their bikes on release day. 

47 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Bloody hell, I missed the price of these things. Gives me a whole level of appreciation for what a technical marvel the current crop of consoles are in terms of value and barrier to entry. 

My eyes were watering at the 3000 series prices. This time around I’m holding an official week of grief and asking people not to ride their bikes on release day. 

If you buy one of these on launch I reckon you’re unlikely to ride a bike

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

To be fair the 4090 and the consoles are targeting very different experiences.

As the potential buyers in this thread have said they want the 4090 for 4k, 120fps with max settings and full RT. The consoles, for the most part, are 30fps when in quality mode and have a little RT.

I remember being all excited when I bought a Series X thinking this would be the experience to have. Then I loaded up Marvel's Guardians of The Galaxy and found out if I wanted to have RT I had to play 30fps and if I wanted to have 60fps I had to play at 1080p! Seriously WTF? I can get 60fps, 1080p on my modest PC and get to play with mouse and keyboard as well.

People like to bemoan the cross gen and how the PS4 is holding the PS5 back, but I have a sneaky suspicion that when the true next gen games start arriving, especially UE5 games, then the consoles will be back to 30fps even at 1440p. I don't know how others feel but I am finished playing at 30 fps, personally I prefer games to be 100fps or over as the controls and games just feel buttery smooth then.

The consoles may be cheaper but, in most cases, you can't compare the experience they give to what the people running 4090s will have.

Not that I'll be considering buying a 4080 or 4090 at anything like these prices but I could see myself throwing £600-700 at the best card that will get me after all the dust has settled on the CPU/GPU announcement front and I'm looking at the consoles in the opposite way. Normally they'd have had a significant price drop by now (rather than one of them actually going up) but a Series X and PS5 would set you back upwards of £900 which doesn't look amazing value to me now that (most) GPU prices are starting to come down.

Since all the Microsoft stuff is on PC and Sony's exclusives are steadily trickling through, putting that £900 into a PC rather than their consoles makes sense.. To me, at least. You could do a full system that would easily outdo them for that at this stage. If you only cared for the games on one of them the relative value might be a different story though.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Honestly nVidia just looked at what Apple are charging for their phones and thought: yeah we can do that too.

this generation there is absolutely no reason to get both unless you have an extensive PS4 collection you (mostly) want to play in the best quality or really can't play Japanese games on Switch or PC.

a Series X at least has GPU and 360 BC if you want something in your living room that'll do almost everything at a decent level of quality without faff.

Almost a third of the forum voted they had a Series console and PS5 back in May (and they've become much more readily available since) so it doesn't seem an irrelevant consideration.

For me, the choice for covering current gen stuff at 4k is upgrading my ancient PC or ending up with both consoles - I do have loads of digital PS4 stuff (much of which would cost me extra to access mind you, since it's from PS+) and Sony still have their exclusives, as much as they've become less interesting on the whole over the years. A Series X sort of goes without saying these days due to Game Pass.

Speaking off Sony exclusive games. Miles Morales now has a Steam page. 

I saw a video by the good old gamer where he has an rx 6600 based pc hooked up to an Oled which he uses to play older and indie games at 4k 60fps+ on. I have to admit to being intrigued by the idea as there are literally hundreds of older, indie or emulated games I'd still like to play. 

I get frustrated with my Series X when I go to play something like Dead space and the game is locked at 720p 30 fps, not a great experience on a 50 inch 4k TV. 

1 minute ago, Mallet said:

Speaking off Sony exclusive games. Miles Morales now has a Steam page. 

I saw a video by the good old gamer where he has an rx 6600 based pc hooked up to an Oled which he uses to play older and indie games at 4k 60fps+ on. I have to admit to being intrigued by the idea as there are literally hundreds of older, indie or emulated games I'd still like to play. 

I get frustrated with my Series X when I go to play something like Dead space and the game is locked at 720p 30 fps, not a great experience on a 50 inch 4k TV. 

For what it's worth its easy to setup Retroarch on your Series X for some emulation stuff. 

I’m content to flog my consoles (as I often do), and my current gpu in order to get a 4090. I think a lot of this is down to Sony’s increasing PC support. Would never have dreamed to sell the PS5 when I originally got it, but now…it’s not quite the ‘exclusive’ machine it used to be. So, flog all of that and buy a 4090 then.

I’ve convinced myself that this is clearly the best financial decision I’ll ever make ;)

3 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Yeah, this is almost exactly where I am at the moment and it's why I'm still (just about) OK carrying on being patient on the hardware front. I had to move up from my trusty old 1060 for HDMI 2.1 but it could still do 4k60 on loads of stuff. With the 3050 even something like Doom 2016 is a smooth 100fps maxed out at 4k and only limited from 120 by my 2014 CPU. Granted, that's a ludicrously well optimised game but even a fairly budget PC opens up an insane amount of possibilities if you don't only enjoy the newest AAA games. Looking forward to playing SWAT 4 for the first time at 4k120 soon, for example :) 

IF I managed to bag a 4090 I'm guessing I'd need other bits to make it work? Like a case, hard drive etc?

The question I'll have is what would be a sensible level of other kit to get so you would make the most of it for games but not end up overpaying for features you don't need. I know I'd need a mega power supply for it, but what about processor+board? I am assuming/hoping I could get away with not getting the bleeding edge and still get all the juice out of the card?

2 minutes ago, mexos said:

IF I managed to bag a 4090 I'm guessing I'd need other bits to make it work? Like a case, hard drive etc?

The question I'll have is what would be a sensible level of other kit to get so you would make the most of it for games but not end up overpaying for features you don't need. I know I'd need a mega power supply for it, but what about processor+board? I am assuming/hoping I could get away with not getting the bleeding edge and still get all the juice out of the card?

I'd argue that the best thing in this scenario would be to look at a pre-built machine which would sort you out. It will certainly be the best way to have everything without the gates of hell opening up and you having to sell your soul to pay for all the parts. 

I certainly don't intend to sell my 5950 CPU anytime soon really. 

3 minutes ago, mexos said:

The specs of a build really should match your use case so what res you want to game at

I game at 4k highest possible settings so there aren't enough frames generated there (as I limit to 117 fps) to bottleneck my cpu so I'll be pairing the 4090 with by existing i5 12600k which I got for £250 a year ago 

6 minutes ago, mexos said:

you’re quite likely to be cpu limited unless you’ve top of the range one. Certainly some games (cough flight sim) are cpu limited already.

11 minutes ago, footle said:

you’re quite likely to be cpu limited unless you’ve top of the range one. Certainly some games (cough flight sim) are cpu limited already.

Yeah I was thinking of getting into DCS...  My ultrawide is 3840x1600 so I expecting to need some grunt.

All in for a build that would make the most of the card, I'm guessing another £2k? My plan is to see if I can nab a card then work out the rest after.

You wouldn't need to spend anything like that much but if you want the best for simulation type stuff I'd go for an AMD 3D V-cache chip. Currently there's only the 5800X3D which is £400-ish but reviews are imminent for the new AMD CPUs on a fresh socket and there's likely to be a 7800X3D or whatever for that early next year.

Since the new platform is likely to be expensive (due to gouging on the motherboards and the need for DDR5), more power hungry and running hot I'll probably end up going for the 5800X3D myself as I doubt that'll be a limit for much at 4k even a few years down the line. Debatable whether it's worth it at all for 4k but I figure if I'm staying with the old gen I might as well max it out and be set for a long time, plus it seems to help with 1% lows and microstutter in a lot of things (like Elden Ring) so probably worth the extra to me for that alone.

On 21/09/2022 at 14:47, bear said:

My own theory is that the eventual 4080 Mobile will have specs very similar to the lower tier desktop 4080 so that Nvidia can call the mobile chip a full-on 4080. There's going to be a big performance difference because it'll be limited to a much lower wattage but the paper specs will look favourable. 

That has never stopped them in the past, where laptop chips just randomly share numbering with the equivalent desktop number but have entirely inferior actual chips, that shit has been going on since forever. Pascal was one of the few times you actually got slightly better than desktop components, just gimped by power limits and clocks instead.

On 23/09/2022 at 13:42, Uzi said:

Btw I've seen this claim going around by random youtubers which is frankly silly for them to make guesses without testing it out in person and to think Nvidia AI tech is the same as what TV options do (it would be like calling DLSS the same as how TV's upscale content with built in scalers), but Digital Foundry just posted this (and they have a 4090 which they are currently testing). Going to be interesting to see their full video.

image.thumb.png.82b41b676d51cbfbe25d595fadff5406.png

The Optical Flow hardware is pretty cool, been expecting this tech to arrive since about 2010 FFS!! Future consoles generating 720p base visuals at 30fps and then upscaled and interpolated to 4K/60fps, the only way to push the visual boundaries at a reasonable hardware cost.

how-nvidia-dlss-3-works.jpg

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/dlss3-ai-powered-neural-graphics-innovations/

Irritating to see all the usual PC store sites showing off the various manufacturers 40-series cards yet no hint of pricing on them. I'm hoping that because the prices are high from Nvidia themselves it might mean that there's a vague sort of parity for some of them at least...doubtful though as I note most of them are offering their cards with some meagre boosts on the clocks. Which make fuck-all difference to most things.

18 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Irritating to see all the usual PC store sites showing off the various manufacturers 40-series cards yet no hint of pricing on them. I'm hoping that because the prices are high from Nvidia themselves it might mean that there's a vague sort of parity for some of them at least...doubtful though as I note most of them are offering their cards with some meagre boosts on the clocks. Which make fuck-all difference to most things.

£1800 to £2100 for the 4090 on overclockers which are likely gonna increase. Overclockers Gibbo said the pound tanking against the dollar means forget about getting well priced third party cards. There you need the retailer, the AIB maker to make money on top of nvidia against our pound having the same value as dogecoin so if you be prepared to pay if you want a third party card.