NVIDIA 4090 $1599 Oct 12 4080 16gb $1199 4080 12gb (basically 4070ti) $899 Nov - stay warm this winter

Uzi

The Founders cards are usually less expensive, are they not? Or am I reading you completely wrong here?

I have no entered the "oooooh, a new technological mcguffin that I don't need is coming out, so exciting!" And honestly, I don't fucking need one because I'm a 1440pleb and I already have a 3080. But then I think to myself, "if you got a 4090, you wouldn't have to be a 1440pleb any more, you could get that fancy pants ultrawide OLED monitor with "Alienware" written on it in an embarrassing manner".

I curl up in a ball, batting at the non-existent demons whispering in my ear, begging them to stop - somehow tears squeezing between the lids of tightly closed eyes.

"You know you wanted that fancy Sony DSLR? Well, you could get the 4090 and the OLED monitor for roughly the same price as that camera body" they continue. "Nevermind the lenses you'll need. And you know you're a fucking lazy-photographer anyway who only really makes an effort whenever you're on holiday. If you buy a new camera it's just going to sit there unused 95% of the time and you're going to get pathological about the state of the battery and it's charge levels for long term storage. You're going to get pathological and not do anything about it".

I hide my head under the duvet. "I can't buy one. Do you know how many fucking times I've posted in that RLLMUK thread about definitely not getting one? Those anonymous people on the internet with no real connection to me will laugh at me and I'll have to put my account into anonymous mode to keep browsing and never comment again", I sob.

"They don't give a shit. @Len will pos you. Buy it".

And it's only the 10th. Oh my god.

4 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

The Founders cards are usually less expensive, are they not? Or am I reading you completely wrong here?

I should have extended the sentence to include me not wanting to pay more...for another manufacturer's version!

Also: I go through the exact same things every time I buy something, so you're not alone there.

Not that it helps at all...

It does help a bit. The really frustrating thing about it is that I'm a creature that obsesses over tiny details in things to a distracting level. It's quite hard for me to go and actually have fun without analysing my fun to ensure that it's genuine and optimal to the point that it's not really fun any more. Whenever I've bought new hardware at launch (or as close to as I can, fuck you Nvidia for last time), I've never once regretted it because it allows me to not think about specs for games or anything like that.

All of the pearl clutching and amateur dramatics end at the point of purchase and I'm fine again.

This is absolutely the second most stressful thing I go through in gaming as a hobby (after being put on the spot and hurried to name a team in Worms), and I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be completely aware of how your mind works, to watch it doing it's stupid ritualised process and be utterly unable to do a single thing about it. Tomorrow I will resolve to not buy any new hardware. I will have endless discussions with people around me about why I can't buy it, how buying consecutive GPU generations is a mugs game and I'm not even playing anything that needs that sort of grunt.

And then on Wednesday I'll either be here talking shipping or complaining that Nvidia only made 3 again.

1 hour ago, Lying Cat said:

I have no entered the "oooooh, a new technological mcguffin that I don't need is coming out, so exciting!" And honestly, I don't fucking need one because I'm a 1440pleb and I already have a 3080. But then I think to myself, "if you got a 4090, you wouldn't have to be a 1440pleb any more, you could get that fancy pants ultrawide OLED monitor with "Alienware" written on it in an embarrassing manner".

I curl up in a ball, batting at the non-existent demons whispering in my ear, begging them to stop - somehow tears squeezing between the lids of tightly closed eyes.

"You know you wanted that fancy Sony DSLR? Well, you could get the 4090 and the OLED monitor for roughly the same price as that camera body" they continue. "Nevermind the lenses you'll need. And you know you're a fucking lazy-photographer anyway who only really makes an effort whenever you're on holiday. If you buy a new camera it's just going to sit there unused 95% of the time and you're going to get pathological about the state of the battery and it's charge levels for long term storage. You're going to get pathological and not do anything about it".

I hide my head under the duvet. "I can't buy one. Do you know how many fucking times I've posted in that RLLMUK thread about definitely not getting one? Those anonymous people on the internet with no real connection to me will laugh at me and I'll have to put my account into anonymous mode to keep browsing and never comment again", I sob.

"They don't give a shit. @Len will pos you. Buy it".

And it's only the 10th. Oh my god.

Be careful

My brain went down this road and thought "fucking hell mate, you sold your £649 3080 and are going to buy something over £1k more for more shinies". I decided to cut down on eating out where possible, any needless subscriptions, non unnecessary game purchases as I have game pass/ ps plus/humble etc. Really trim down to justify the purchase you know...

...then I bought a Samsung S95B OLED because well WHO wants to plug a 2022 4090 into a 2020 LG CX (which is going to the wife long may she enjoy her shitty netflix shows on it)

@Len pos me for being dumb pls. The S95B does 144hz 4k HDR with Gsync with popping colours and its about half the price since it launched in the UK soooo...

23 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I would buy a Samsung S95B in a heartbeat if they did it in a size smaller than 55"

That was my only hesitation but the desk I use has enough depth for me that I find 55 would actually be perfect as I work with a tonne of side by side documents which need both width and length as well as mainly playing single player immersion based games where the larger screen helps me. I appreciate that is really nice and for most people using a 55 inch tv as a monitor/tv is fucking insane 

9 minutes ago, Uzi said:

That was my only hesitation but the desk I use has enough depth for me that I find 55 would actually be perfect as I work with a tonne of side by side documents which need both width and length as well as mainly playing single player immersion based games where the larger screen helps me. I appreciate that is really nice and for most people using a 55 inch tv as a monitor/tv is fucking insane 

How deep is your, er... desk?

8 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

How deep is your, er... desk?

90cm

I basically bought a 8 seater dining table and use it as a desk. Then when I game or work a lot of the time i kinda recline in my chair and use a foot stool so even then i'm not right up at the desk.

And they’re not even giving you a game to boot!

You buy the sodding 30xx series and Spiderman is a freebie.

I’m beginning to think nVidia just cares about getting my money and don’t want snuggles at bedtime at all!

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

It does seem strange to complain about how ridiculous and evil the pricing is and then just flat out reward Nvidia for it by buying one anyway.

It’s purely for the heating potential. I’ll save £££ by keeping this bastard running and turning off the rads…

Also, considering how far behind Intel and AMD are in their outputs who else could I possibly reward :P 

18 minutes ago, Benny said:

It does seem strange to complain about how ridiculous and evil the pricing is and then just flat out reward Nvidia for it by buying one anyway.

Still less of an increase than console plebs are paying to SONY! HA!

We're basically going to be paying for Nvidia's 30-series stock problems at this point. Presumably they believed that Crypto-mining would go on forever, and now they've got all these 30X0's stacked up somewhere and don't want to undercut it with the new product. I'm sure that by the time the 50X0's are out there'll be a new Crypto coin out there and we'll all be talking about the halcyon days of the 4090, when you didn't need to shackle yourself into corporate indenture just to be offered the opportunity of a chance to buy one with a Mortgage.

And because I'm a total collapsnik, I do wonder "is this my last opportunity to actually buy a GPU before the survival horror gets more... immersive?" because, like, my priorities are all in the right place.

I did wake up this morning with way less 40-series hunger though. Apparently they'll go on sale around 2PM which is when i HaVe A mEeTiNg (#vip), so they'll all be sold by the time I get back to the computer anyway. Plus, I don't have an ATX3 PSU which isn't needed at all, but this is what I'm like. I need to get a diary to write all this down really, but this thread benefits a bit from my electro-consumerist angst, I think.

6 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

We're basically going to be paying for Nvidia's 30-series stock problems at this point.

Double-dipping, the crypto bro's already more than paid for their stock with the 2-3x pure profit pricing.

23 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I did wake up this morning with way less 40-series hunger though. Apparently they'll go on sale around 2PM which is when i HaVe A mEeTiNg (#vip), so they'll all be sold by the time I get back to the computer anyway. Plus, I don't have an ATX3 PSU which isn't needed at all, but this is what I'm like. I need to get a diary to write all this down really, but this thread benefits a bit from my electro-consumerist angst, I think.

Lying Cat holds his hand up.

"Please sir, could I go to the toilet? I really need to have a huge dump..."

Of MONEY....he thinks to himself.

Reviews should be out now and the GPU is pushing some game engines so hard they appear to be CPU limited at 4k.

The game engines with RT like Cyberpunk though (this is without DLSS btw) HOLY FUCKING SHIT

image.thumb.png.e704ef7f6e368162a7c42037d815e22e.png

I really don't have the money to buy this thing. BUT...

I am tempted to try and get one anyway. It would sit on a shelf for a bit anyway till I could buy all the other bits. I'm guessing the price of these things isn't going down any time soon so why not try and get it on day 1.

@Lying Cat your signature "current level of upset" has a lot of headroom available, I notice.

Is it weird I find myself looking at this just for the thrill of the chase that would be getting an order in, assuming they're scarce. I absolutely don't have the cash waiting, that's all earmarked for crucial house DIY tasks.

The idea of spending getting on for £1700 on a graphics card just makes me feel ill. Yes I know it's the top of the range but surely it'll mean the lower-spec card prices will be creeping up. I dread my current 2070 giving up as that would pretty much see me not being able to do decent PC gaming for a long while. 

Looking at all the charts, if you don't have a 4k screen, then it's absolutely the stupidest purchase you'd ever make. 

But, it's effectively the first card that can properly max out everything at that resolution. Even without DLSS on.

Which is what I've been waiting for since the high hopes I had when the 2080ti came out. 

So - y'know - there is that.

Absolute justification for the purchase then :P