NVIDIA 4090 $1599 Oct 12 4080 16gb $1199 4080 12gb (basically 4070ti) $899 Nov - stay warm this winter

Uzi

FFS that stupid gamers nexus video. Basically the EVGA G3 750watt PSU I bought in early 2019 (for a nice £60 at the time) would likely cause issues with a 3090 let alone the cards coming in a few months. I don't like not having upgrade options. Since EVGA cables are interchangeable, at least this way I don't need to gut my system, I can just swap the PSU units out. I have a feeling 1000w + PSU's will go up in price or be harder to find in a few months when people panic upgrade

image.png

The 3080 is such a fantastic card that I really can't see any point upgrading to the 40xx series.

I also think it is irresponsible of Nvidia to release more power hungry, more powerful cards in the context of an environment where the majority are just going to be used to mine cryptocurrency.

Release cards as powerful as the 30xx series but that use significantly less power, that would be perhaps a nice way of making crypto less environmentally destructive.

34 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I also think it is irresponsible of Nvidia to release more power hungry, more powerful cards in the context of an environment where the majority are just going to be used to mine cryptocurrency.

I don't think that's too much of a danger at the moment. Rising energy costs combined with plummeting crypto prices has made mining a lot less profitable, and I don't think the prospect of mining with even more power hungry cards will be too attractive right now.

I don't think it would make much difference either way though. If mining with higher powered cards was profitable, then mining with a higher number of less power intensive cards would be as well.

Yeah I agree, the bulk miners are currently dumping their GPU's which means they already think their prospects are fucked

https://videocardz.com/newz/crypto-crash-forces-miners-to-sell-hundreds-of-graphics-cards-during-livestreamed-auctions

Higher electricity draw from cards plus rising energy costs plus crypto tanking currently means for now at least, they shouldn't have much interest in the 40 series. Esp if they come out with an effective LHR solution (they won't but could). It's also prob why there is such a big surplus of 30 series gpus, miners aren't buying anymore hardware

My EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 is coming up to nine years old end of this year so should do the trick. Though quite fancy a new one.

On 30/06/2022 at 12:38, Isaac said:

Release cards as powerful as the 30xx series but that use significantly less power, that would be perhaps a nice way of making crypto less environmentally destructive.

They have no choice but to release GFX cards which consume significantly more power. It's the only way they have left to make the performance jump big enough to get people to buy a new one.

If they could somehow make newer parts which had zero performance gain but were only more power efficient, the people who ironically would love those the most are crypto miners, who want the most computation per watt possible. Everybody else would only spend $500+ on a replacement part which has a meaningful performance jump, which requires power requirements to go up to achieve as Moore's Law (which has given the entire computing industry a 'free lunch' for decades) is effectively over.

Just look at the power consumption of consoles over time, the next ones are going to ride the exact same power train to the heavens.

The chip supply shortage has gotten so bad now that TSMC are rumoured to be announcing a likely profit downgrade due to their 3 biggest customers cutting orders, including Nvidia trying to wriggle out of their agreement to buy up production capacity for RTX 4000 chips and Apple reducing their iPhone sales targets.

The original article is from DigiTimes of Taiwan, but somebody translated the important bits:

https://www.digitimes.com.tw/tech/dt/n/shwnws.asp?cnlid=1&id=0000638859_23P7Q8BU6YQGPN8X7TLNT

4cAkGQ8.png

Economy is beginning to slow down in many countries so it makes sense.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the new couple of months to GPU prices. I was really considering upgrading to a 3080 or 3070 from my 3060 (which my son would have inherited). Thankfully I didn't take the plunge because I would have probably bought at the wrong time.

If proven to be true, it illustrates just how much the abnormal demand levels of the last 2 years were driven by The Pandemic and Crypto Wave 2. With both of those demand drivers removed, AMD and Nvidia are running into the opposite problem, too little demand to justify their planned production capacity, to the extent that Nvidia might push back the launch of RTX 4000 to clear out the retail channel of old stock first.

They usually don't do firesales for old stock, much like Intel also don't while AMD don't have the brand firepower so have to resort to cutting prices to shift inventory.

Prices are also dropping on the dumb high end models. On HUKD today you can get brand new 3080tis for £835. CEX are doing 3090's for £900. 

Mid range and lower will prob hold RRP's or just above for a while due to the value of GPU's still being seen as high, so you won't be able to just pick up a new 3060ti for like £350 right now prob but eventually they'll need to dump those too before the 40 series.

Tom's Hardware had a recent article about pricing of new and used GFX cards and right near the end of it, the author made an interesting observation as to the potential amount of cards which might have been used for mining of Ethereum and which may become obsolete if the long mooted nerfing happens:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/graphics-card-prices-july-2022

Separate from that data, there's an interesting piece of information if we look at Ethereum's network hashrate. It increased from 228.2 TH/s in September 2020 to 1126.7 TH/s on May 13, 2022. That's an 898.5 TH/s increase, which represents a frankly astounding number of graphics cards.

I calculated the ratio of RTX 30-series GPUs sold on eBay over the past year, for current-gen cards, and found that the average hashrate for Ethereum mining (not factoring in Nvidia's LHR models) was 69 MH/s. That's certainly higher than the average hashrate for GPUs used in mining during the past 18 months, and it would still require 13 million GPUs to reach that figure.

Perhaps there were a bunch of Ethereum ASICs contributing as well, and there were definitely a lot of older GPUs used for mining in the past couple of years. Add in all the Turing, Pascal, RDNA2, RDNA1, Vega, and Polaris cards and we're potentially looking at tens of millions of graphics cards that were primarily mining Ethereum.

Now imagine what will happen if/when Ethereum finally transitions to Proof of Stake with "The Merge," ostensibly before the end of the year. Noah (ie, AMD and Nvidia) might need to build another ark to survive the coming flood.

If the market gets flooded with 10 Million+ useless GFX cards, it'll be interesting to see what happens to potential supply on RDNA3 and Ada Lovelace parts when they have to compete with that much knackered last gen. Prices of used cards could potentially be going through the floor if no replacement Ponzi Scheme is available to use GPUs for.

On 04/07/2022 at 06:03, Isaac said:

Etherium won't be proof of stake by the end of the year.

It constantly gets delayed.

Well apparently, this time it's definitely going to happen as the code is currently live on some testing variant and has passed 2 successful live trials with one more to go before they introduce it for real. If it finally happens, it will cause some problems for GPU miners.

https://decrypt.co/104513/ethereum-merge-moves-closer-sepolia-testnet

But for an alternative take, NiceHash seem to reckon it won't matter as somebody will come up with another get rich quick scheme that GPU miners can partake in, much like how Ethereum was created to stop the evil ASIC miners from dominating Crypto:

https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/the-history-of-cryptocurrency-mining

xcYPFUPu_o.png

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Uzi said:

If it comes into stock and the others are not, I will fucking buy it

Can't do it now. I did that with the 3090 I had and was never happy.

I could feel it laughing at me.

Cue the present day and my founders 3080ti is bloody gorgeous :P

19 minutes ago, Len said:

Your pass is revoked. ;)

I dunno - I feel that after owning three different 30XX series over the last couple of years, I should be given free stuff from nVidia quite honestly.

I have decided that I will not be entering the Graphics Card Scrum this year. I've spent most of my time with my 3080 playing indie games with lots of pixels so I feel like it'll be a waste of money. That and if the power requirement rumours are anything to go by, the UK will only be able to sustain 3 of them at any given time. I will be in the thread though making comments and pretending that I'm not jealous of all you Zotac-getters.

Zo-Getters.

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

Yeah, well zotac can fuck right off with that monstrosity.

I can't see anything wrong with that, much like my own 3080ti, it seems a lesson in restraint and modern design.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0903d0bb028d068880d0693279c459ff.png

• Uzi changed the title to NVIDIA 4090 $1599 Oct 12 4080 16gb $1199 4080 12gb (basically 4070ti) $899 Nov - stay warm this winter