NVIDIA 4090 $1599 Oct 12 4080 16gb $1199 4080 12gb (basically 4070ti) $899 Nov - stay warm this winter

Uzi

I'll be waiting in line from the b of the bang for at least an 80.

Now, it's probably due to poor optimisation but I've just experienced my first game that requires more ram than my 2080TI can provide, Steel Rising. I smirked at it stating it needing 13gb of VRAM for its high resolution texture pack, seen that a couple times in the past few years, VRAM requirements being above my card's 11gb for certain high resolution texture options, always a nonsense and they always play fine. Not here.

Massive texture streaming problems on my 2080TI when I chose the ultra textures, it indicates it being nearly 13gb in the options menu, and it certainly seems to be. It's unusable, no matter how low all other settings, if I choose high res textures it maxes VRAM and the card struggles to hold them. I have a 3060 in my bedroom, I laughed at the card having 12gb of VRAM, well it can hold/load those high res textures fine whilst my 2080TI simply cannot.

So, 16gb VRAM for me please.

Game is decent btw, it's no Bloodborne but it's a fun time.

• Uzi changed the title to NVIDIA 40 series cards - stay warm this winter
1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Of course, we're all talking about it as if we'll be able to buy one at launch. The jury is well and truly out on that...

Unless the 4090 is priced up at a couple of grand :P

I miss the days my buddy was running up the Nvidia EU developer relations team and would give me cards for free.

6 hours ago, Uzi said:

image.thumb.png.61fb8d084dd5b305a70c6a28cd37a7f3.png

More chonky bois incoming. Interesting that some if not all maybe third party cards may have dumped the 3 x 8 pin connector and gone with the FE solution

popped the hood on your car?

On 13/09/2022 at 12:13, Uzi said:

3: Ok real actual reason. The gap between the 3090 and 3080 was laughable for the price diff. What was it, 10-15 percent on average? This time its closer to 30-40 percent if the leaks are credible.

I find that really quite hard to believe, but am open to being proven wrong.

Either way my 3080 hasn't even broken a sweat since I got it so for this gen I am out.

11 hours ago, Isaac said:

I find that really quite hard to believe, but am open to being proven wrong.

Either way my 3080 hasn't even broken a sweat since I got it so for this gen I am out.

Very reliable leaker (got everything right about Ampere) indicates 4090 vs 4080 is almost 7000 cuda core difference alone

3090 vs 3080 was less than 2000 cuda core diff. 4080 is also a diff board/sku entirely whereas the 3080 was just a cut down 3090

I would expect the 80 series this to be some distance away from the 90 so that Nvidia can justify the eye watering price the 90 will be. The two 80 skus also mean the higher end 80 will probably be closer to 1000 dollars. We'll find out in a few days!

23 minutes ago, SMD said:

Didn't he hint that there may not be a price increase due to lower demand? What happened with that? 

Unlike the specs, pricing is a complete guess and no one has any clue. Jensen famously set the 20 series RRP prices right up to the last min I think.

Just judging by the indication that there are a tonne of 30 series card inventory still left to sell so they may price 40 series high enough to push people towards wanting 30 series cards until their inventory is exhausted and just milk off the early adopters. 

Latest spec leaks - the 4080 12gb is basically just a 4070ti rebranded and probably priced higher. Its a completely diff card to the 4080 16gb

image.thumb.png.ba0b318b841da98885cf5585a80e02d8.png

Not sure if I was reading it right last night but it sounds like the 12gb one was originally going to be the 4070 but they decided to make it a 'lesser' 4080 instead presumably for the purposes of charging more for it. Seems believable if they've got loads of 3000s they want to shift.

Edit: What he said, pretty much!

EVGA Removing 80% of their revenue in one shot. I wasn't aware until that Gamer's Nexus video that NVIDIA cap what partners can sell cards for. So that's limited features on those cards and caused them to be sold at an extremely low profit (or they claim a loss) when the lack of boards meant scalpers were raking it in. Sounds like they were also selling them below those caps to be competitive with the FE coming direct from NVIDIA as well.

It only seems to be loss making recently since supply increase. There's suggestions that with the drop off in demand there's been too large orders placed for the next gens being produced and a potential substantial oversupply. So those losses would continue.

The latter part of the video talks more about the CEO seeming to just not want the hassle anymore, and rather just shut down the company rather than sell it and lose the reputation he's built by giving it to investors. Those combined it seems a reasonable decision.

Very surprising but can't blame them if true. Had many of their cards over the years but went FE last time. I wonder/fear if this will cause Jensen to go even wilder with pricing on Tues, in the US market at least.

Also, have we heard any more about the rumoured new Titan that may or may not be coming? I would happily wait for that if any confirmation but probably can't resist if something pops up to buy sooner.

• Uzi changed the title to NVIDIA 4090 $1599 Oct 12 4080 16gb $1199 4080 12gb (basically 4070ti) $899 Nov - stay warm this winter