NVIDIA 4090 $1599 Oct 12 4080 16gb $1199 4080 12gb (basically 4070ti) $899 Nov - stay warm this winter

Uzi

35 minutes ago, Benny said:

I mean what people do with their money is their prerogative, but they've always seemed like a massive waste for minimal gain.

But the minimal gains are what makes it all so much fun! I’m in nerd heaven when I get a new card and spend more time fucking about with settings than I do with playing the games!

I’ve tried to downgrade and just be happy with consoles, but I can’t do it! I need those minimal gains baby!

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

Well, all I know is that I'll only get one of these as a Founders Ed card. Not interested in any other manufacturers unless they do the impossible and are cheaper!

Hopefully the rumours of nvidia having being making 4090s since August and having them in storage is true. I wanna get a 4090 FE day one  🤡

• Uzi changed the title to NVIDIA 4090 $1599 Oct 12 4080 16gb $1199 4080 12gb (basically 4070ti) $899 Nov - stay warm this winter
Just now, Mallet said:

$300 for an extra 4gb of vram on the 4080? That's apple prices

Its not extra ram, its a completely diff card. the 12gb has far less cuda cores for one thing. 

4 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Hopefully the rumours of nvidia having being making 4090s since August and having them in storage is true. I wanna get a 4090 FE day one  🤡

I suspect I won't be day one this time. I will be spending the time selling my soul to the devil, and thinking about my life choices too much to even attempt to pick one up launch day...and that's if we don't get exactly the same thing that happened two years ago. I'm assuming the uptake isn't going to be as dramatic as the 30xx series was though.

23 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Also for anyone not watched, nvidia made some modding tool that basically remasters older games WTF lol 

Yeah I dare say the industry stuff is more interesting than the gaming stuff, but of the gaming stuff that is HUGE.

I'm guessing you get diminished returns the older the source game is, but still....

I was already feeling like I wanted to go with AMD since they're superficially somewhat less gross at the moment and are least pretending to care about power/efficiency, though I imagine the differences there might not be huge and them pushing that angle might just be clever marketing since the perception at the moment is of Nvidia and Intel encouraging rising power requirements.

That 4080 pricing has probably sealed the deal though. AMD have confusingly said that RDNA 3 will 'launch' on November 3rd, hoping that's what they mean and not just that it's being announced then. And that they've closed the gap in ray tracing a bit, though that's probably a trade-off I'd be willing to make.

At almost £1700 UK, I have a feeling we might have stock...

But what option do you have? Pay £1300 for a 3080? At that point you're getting robbed so badly, you may as well empty your wallet