NVIDIA 4090 $1599 Oct 12 4080 16gb $1199 4080 12gb (basically 4070ti) $899 Nov - stay warm this winter

Uzi

5 minutes ago, JoeK said:

That makes a convincing argument to be excited again :P 

It does indeed. Cyberpunk is what convinced me the 3080 wasn't enough for me as it would dip below 60 pretty often.

But oh my, up to 2.3-2.4x the 3090ti in the same game

image.thumb.png.1ddce5c33a6405af1083d1beb592543e.png

It's unfortunate that this is where we are but the cost of GPUs in a big box store I was in a few months back were so high that $1599 for the 4090 isn't that bad. Not doing any serious kind of like-for-like comparison, just eyeballing it. 

Good time to think about getting back into PC gaming, cheers for everyone who stuck it out during the crypto mining years.

2 minutes ago, layten said:

Remember those glorious days of $2.2USD to £1. :( 

I'm going to the US maybe in Nov but would only save about £200 on a 4090 and then not have warranty :( 

Just now, Len said:

Definitely. Delicious. Can't wait.

Who's got those discord stock alerts to hand?

I REALLY don't think we will need them. I have a feeling there will be plenty of 4090's about.

Just now, Uzi said:

I REALLY don't think we will need them. I have a feeling there will be plenty of 4090's about.

Sod's law another crypto mining sensation will be found just in time for pre-orders ;) 

4 minutes ago, Uzi said:

And then the 50's will be like hen's teeth and I'll be in here posting obsessively but trying to look like I'm above it all and not stressed as fuck about not being able to get a new toy.

I built my current PC around the 3080 and it's been excellent for my usage, and I wasn't planning to upgrade again until the inevitable mid gen console refresh at the earliest. Now that we're looking at the replacements being basically double the price though I'm not not sure I could ever justify an upgrade. The 3080FE price was pushing it for me.

I've been using my Steam Deck so much recently that it might be better to just focus on handheld PC gaming going forwards, assuming Valve keep their prices low. I don't doubt the next gen Steam Deck will see their prices creeping up too though.

I don’t see a game on the horizon that would stretch my 3090 so much as to struggle, so I don’t see the point in this really.  And that’s before getting into price and environment matters.  Never thought I’d say that with a new PC GPU gen but here we are!

11 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I don’t see a game on the horizon that would stretch my 3090 so much as to struggle, so I don’t see the point in this really.  And that’s before getting into price and environment matters.  Never thought I’d say that with a new PC GPU gen but here we are!

If you're buying the top end cards (x70 upwards), you should expect your card to last at least a couple of generations - And that was during the times where the gains from Moore's law was large. I leapfrogged from a 1070 to a 3080, and honestly even doing that felt a bit soon.

Of course, I've stopped using my main PC entirely now, so I'm definitely not the target demographic for these new cards.

4 hours ago, Uzi said:

It does indeed. Cyberpunk is what convinced me the 3080 wasn't enough for me as it would dip below 60 pretty often.

But oh my, up to 2.3-2.4x the 3090ti in the same game

image.thumb.png.1ddce5c33a6405af1083d1beb592543e.png

How does it run at 8k + maxed out raytracing, because that is what you would be wanting if you are buying that card.

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

These prices are really, really high, aren't they? Weren't GPU supposed to get cheaper now that Crypto is in a down turn? 

The trick is how it'll fare next year when people have had to deal with the winter and the post Christmas spending slump

Did some basic math to show per cuda core (since we do not have comparable frames benchmark data yet so not exact but fine for now) how much the cost of each GPU is in pounds with their RRP. It shows how shit the 4080 is and how the 3080 was an outlier. 

30 series: 

3090 - approx 13 pence per cuda core 

3080 - approx 7 pence per cuda core

40 series

4090 - approx 10 pence per cuda core

4080 16gb - approx 13 pence per cuda core

4080 12gb - approx 12 pence per cuda core (this is also deceptive because this stupid card has a 192 bit bus which is normally reserved for cheaper cards so the value proposition is even lower)

The 4080 16gb is as poor value as the 3090 was at launch. The 12gb is just an insult being a rebranded 70 series card at almost the same poor value as the 3090 launch price.

And despite the eye watering high price of the 4090, pure specs wise it is better value than the 4080 (both variants) and much higher value than the 3090 was at launch. So they basically made the 90 series, the halo product much better and butchered the value of the 80 series.

At those prices I'll be sticking with my overclocked 2070 for a while longer. I typically play stuff at 1440p and have no interest in 4k anyway. Dreading the day my graphics card conks out and I'm forced to pay stupid money for a new one. My 2070 was £510 in 2019, seem likes a bargain now. 

No interest in 40xx, as others said my 3070 does very well at 1440, especially for the older stuff I still enjoy.

But I will say, if they can really get such huge efficiency savings out of DLSS, then I hope by the time I do next upgrade they have developed it to the point where it can just work with any game on the fly, without needing thousands of hours of 'training' to recognise specific imagery for specific titles.