NVIDIA 4090 $1599 Oct 12 4080 16gb $1199 4080 12gb (basically 4070ti) $899 Nov - stay warm this winter

Uzi

18 hours ago, Uzi said:

Hopefully the rumours of nvidia having being making 4090s since August and having them in storage is true. I wanna get a 4090 FE day one  🤡

I see that now, they have basically raised the price of the 80 series by $500. The can call the 12gb model a 4080 all they want but it simply isn't. Less vram, smaller bus, less cuda cores and less bandwidth. You can't make all those cuts and still call it a 4080.

It will be very interesting to see how they price the lower cards. 

I'm perfectly happy playing at 1080p and my rx 6600 plays every thing just fine at 1080p. 

20 hours ago, Uzi said:

That UK pricing hurts...ugh

image.thumb.png.3541fe7cc13a69997d02440f5c8a9720.png

Oof. That price would cover, like, the best versions of every current-gen console*, and probably the best versions of their subscriptions, and extra gubbins beyond that.

Or you could have some nice lighting in Cyberpunk I guess.

*solid gold PS5 excepted

29 minutes ago, Mallet said:

I see that now, they have basically raised the price of the 80 series by $500. The can call the 12gb model a 4080 all they want but it simply isn't. Less vram, smaller bus, less cuda cores and less bandwidth. You can't make all those cuts and still call it a 4080.

It will be very interesting to see how they price the lower cards. 

I'm perfectly happy playing at 1080p and my rx 6600 plays every thing just fine at 1080p. 

It is defo a 4070, it is AD104. 16gb is 103 and 4090 is 102. It's a completely diff card and shady as fuck move

Anything below the above cards won't be out until they clear out 30 series stock I'm sure

12 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

I haven't built a PC in about 12 years so I'm well due a new one, but... how are the lower end versions of these cards going to be priced? Is a 4070 likely to be less than 700 quid?

Yes but they won't do it until 30 series cards are sold out (and there are apparently A LOT). They can't release a 4070 that is more powerful than a 3090 for less than a 3090 until all those 30 series cards are gone.

8 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Yes but they won't do it until 30 series cards are sold out (and there are apparently A LOT). They can't release a 4070 that is more powerful than a 3090 for less than a 3090 until all those 30 series cards are gone.

OK, makes sense.

I can wait until early in the new year, to be honest. Hopefully they'll be available by then!

1 hour ago, Sane said:

Man these prices make me sad. PC gaming was never cheap but it's now completely out of reach for people with a normal income. I'm glad there's things like Steamdeck exist.

Going a bit OT but I recently watched a video from ExplainingComputers about the death of the desktop PC. The vast majority of computer users now get by with a laptop, tablet or even a phone, business has moved away from putting a full PC on desks, so a gaming PC is very much a niche thing now, and getting nicher, especially if the price of a major component is this steep. 

He mentions the growing number of small form-factor PCs, and they're becoming more customisable and appear to be aiming for somewhere between a decent laptop and a mid/high end PC tower. I know companies like Alienware and Valve have tried this before but I'd love to see a decently-spec'd small PC that probably costs the same as one of these 4000 cards or less. 

Are there any games that require the sort of power these new cards offer, beyond the shiny? Is that just the old man in me resisting change? I don't know, maybe chasing the new is a distraction and we generally all get by with a lower-spec card, even if that means playing at 1440p, 1080p or with some settings reduced. It's not 2007 anymore, it can run Crysis. 

Yeah probably not the thread I should be in, shouting at the tide. 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Oof. That price would cover, like, the best versions of every current-gen console*, and probably the best versions of their subscriptions, and extra gubbins beyond that.

Or you could have some nice lighting in Cyberpunk I guess.

*solid gold PS5 excepted

I'll do one better. Assuming the 1599 dollar price translates to 1599 euros and looking at current console stock here in various stores in the Netherlands, I can buy all of this:

XBOX SERIES S 299 euros

SWITCH OLED 349 euros

PS5 Digital Edition 399 euros

Steam Deck 256GB 549 euros

Which adds up to 1596 euros. You'd have money left over for a celebratory big mac and own every current big platform instead of just the gpu part of one single platform.

Sure, but its like saying to a supercar owner you can buy 5 teslas for the same price. The supercar is stupid, some people just want stupid. People don't buy halo products for value. Anyone who can afford a £1.6k gpu isn't balancing again getting a PS5, switch etc

16 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Are there any games that require the sort of power these new cards offer, beyond the shiny?

The shiny is the point - and to answer the question the answer is no, and there isn't likely to be for quite some time because so much that comes out on the PC is also coming out on the consoles too. If you're prepared to drop settings and turn of RT, you don't actually need that much.

The point behind these cards is to flawlessly push RT/4K/8K at 60fps+.

If you're slumming it down at 1440p, I'm not currently convinced this going to light your world on fire, overstressed PSUs exploding aside.

4 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Sure, but its like saying to a supercar owner you can buy 5 teslas for the same price. The supercar is stupid, some people just want stupid. People don't buy halo products for value. Anyone who can afford a £1.6k gpu isn't balancing again getting a PS5, switch etc

That's true enough (and I think a fair point vis. the 4090 specifically), but it's a bit off that the cards that in previous generations would have been the sporty little number for yer more reserved enthusiast have been bumped up into supercar territory.*

*I know nothing about cars

6 minutes ago, Wiper said:

That's true enough (and I think a fair point vis. the 4090 specifically), but it's a bit off that the cards that in previous generations would have been the sporty little number for yer more reserved enthusiast have been bumped up into supercar territory.*

*I know nothing about cars

Yeah the 80 series bump is disgusting. They just put a Bugatti badge on a BMW (I also know nothing about cars) with the 80 series, particularly the 4070 disguised as the lower 4080

I would honestly say this launch is only good for the 4090, the 80 series is so awkwardly priced for what you get that they should be ignored entirely. AMD might provide a good raster alternative to the 80 series for less than 1k but it will be missing the eco system must haves with nvidia like DLSS etc

I am puzzling over the 4070-not-4070 that represents the lower tier 4080. Are they not just horribly confusing their own product stack? Or it is purely to justify keeping the prices of the new stuff high in order to shift 30 series stuff they have stacked up in a warehouse?

8 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Sure, I mean if I had stupid money I'd be splurging too because I love me some shinies as you know. It's just that I used to be able to indulge in supercar PC's but at the current prices... And on top of that the consoles this gen aren't even ridiculously underpowered like last time, so thankfully I feel less sad about having to let 1337 pc gaming go than I would have otherwise. And it's good to spell it out like this to show how ridiculous the prices of these supercars have gotten compared to 10 years ago.

9 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I am puzzling over the 4070-not-4070 that represents the lower tier 4080. Are they not just horribly confusing their own product stack? Or it is purely to justify keeping the prices of the new stuff high in order to shift 30 series stuff they have stacked up in a warehouse?

The latter. This slide says it all, this is a 40 series launch and 30 series marketing continuation. Normally they would abandon sales of previous gen by now let alone promote them. They need to have two product slots, stupid new and 2 year old tech (still very very good tech fine for 99 percent of people) at reasonable-ish prices coming out of COVID and crypto. They can't price below their top end 30 cards which are going for up to 1k even in the fire sales. 

You won't see 40 series pricing stupidity go away until the 30 series cards are exhausted from new channels. Then they will prob launch a cut down 12gb 4080 as a 4070 for a more reasonable price and probably discontinue the 12gb and replace it with the 16gb prob six months to a year from now. The 4090 is the only "normally" priced card, the 80 series is a victim of the position they are in because of the 30 stock.

image.thumb.png.795d5f771b7857871966a4d9e0acefd1.png

2 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Nvidia know that tech enthusiasts like people on this forum will know the difference between the two cards. People who buy prebuilt PCs though? I expect a lot of those people will just see it has a 4080 and expect the full performance. 

7 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Nvidia know that tech enthusiasts like people on this forum will know the difference between the two cards. People who buy prebuilt PCs though? I expect a lot of those people will just see it has a 4080 and expect the full performance. 

Well even the cut down 4080 is going to perform probably far better than anybody needs, so people will be happy with what they get, I'm sure.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Sure, I mean if I had stupid money I'd be splurging too because I love me some shinies as you know. It's just that I used to be able to indulge in supercar PC's but at the current prices... And on top of that the consoles this gen aren't even ridiculously underpowered like last time, so thankfully I feel less sad about having to let 1337 pc gaming go than I would have otherwise. And it's good to spell it out like this to show how ridiculous the prices of these supercars have gotten compared to 10 years ago.

You can get second hand 3080's for less than £600 so reasonable power PC builds are still an option and if you are will to go down to the 70/60 series, you can go even cheaper even brand new. 

It is all relative isn't it. You could make the same breakdown with the latest iphones that cost £1k plus. I won't fucking buy that. I'm happy with my £299 oppo x2 and will be for years until it breaks or whatever

48 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Are there any games that require the sort of power these new cards offer, beyond the shiny? Is that just the old man in me resisting change? I don't know, maybe chasing the new is a distraction and we generally all get by with a lower-spec card, even if that means playing at 1440p, 1080p or with some settings reduced. It's not 2007 anymore, it can run Crysis.

Very few games actually require this nutso stuff, hell even Crysis would run on lesser PCs back then if you accept some turning off of shininess. I notice the graph a few pages back states 'relative performance' presumably because the actual fps are clearly high enough already on the smaller bars :)

I think the 'medium level' graphics that games are capable of these days are pretty damn good anyway - plus it feels like on PC there's been an increasingly popular trend for non-"AAA" games for years now anyway. These top-end components are about chasing fanciest graphics at 4K/VR resolution and that definitely feels an enthusiast's niche to me. People who play sims (a niche within a niche already, one I'm part of) and the three or four games a year like Cyberpunk, is there much else that really pushes these cards?

3 minutes ago, milko said:

Very few games actually require this nutso stuff, hell even Crysis would run on lesser PCs back then if you accept some turning off of shininess. I notice the graph a few pages back states 'relative performance' presumably because the actual fps are clearly high enough already on the smaller bars :)

I think the 'medium level' graphics that games are capable of these days are pretty damn good anyway - plus it feels like on PC there's been an increasingly popular trend for non-"AAA" games for years now anyway. These top-end components are about chasing fanciest graphics at 4K/VR resolution and that definitely feels an enthusiast's niche to me. People who play sims (a niche within a niche already, one I'm part of) and the three or four games a year like Cyberpunk, is there much else that really pushes these cards?

If you own a 4k 120hz screen, no current cards can push current gen games at high plus settings reliably at 4k 120hz. That's ignoring RT. Eg a 3080 can barely run AC Valhalla, a cross gen game with no RT or special stuff at 60fps 4k

4k 60+, 30 series is sufficient. 

1 minute ago, milko said:

Fair do's like but i think 4K 120hz is that enthusiast niche. At least for now!

OLEDs lol. Been on that since 2019. If you're using a bog standard monitor, the 40 series would be a complete waste

You're this forum's most famous enthusiast of all :lol: (and glad of if I am, since I used so many of your cast-offs over the years, was weird buying a brand new motherboard and CPU the other week)

2 minutes ago, milko said:

You're an enthusiast! I wonder how many people with one even have a PC hooked up and set to more than 60fps.

Haha I know. I'm just laughing as that is what most people are hooking their consoles into and asking for 40fps modes

34 minutes ago, Uzi said:

The latter. This slide says it all, this is a 40 series launch and 30 series marketing continuation. Normally they would abandon sales of previous gen by now let alone promote them. They need to have two product slots, stupid new and 2 year old tech (still very very good tech fine for 99 percent of people) at reasonable-ish prices coming out of COVID and crypto. They can't price below their top end 30 cards which are going for up to 1k even in the fire sales. 

You won't see 40 series pricing stupidity go away until the 30 series cards are exhausted from new channels. Then they will prob launch a cut down 12gb 4080 as a 4070 for a more reasonable price and probably discontinue the 12gb and replace it with the 16gb prob six months to a year from now. The 4090 is the only "normally" priced card, the 80 series is a victim of the position they are in because of the 30 stock.

image.thumb.png.795d5f771b7857871966a4d9e0acefd1.png

This is actually quite reassuring, as it does imply they're not just trying to price cards quite so ridiculously for future generations.

Regarding the numbering, while the "fake" 4080 is obviously partly for the price excuse, I think it's also to avoid that list dropping from 3080 to 4070, which I guess might look a little confusing if they're keeping the 3000 cards around as current gen options.

But yes, there's really not that much I play that really pushes my 3080, even at 4K60. As long as most games target the current gen consoles it should remain viable for a long time. I was reusing my old 980ti before getting this card, and to be honest even that was still fine for a lot of games.