The games you play in private

thesnwmn

I've been thinking about how many larger and smaller games might fly under the radar here even though they may be consuming a large amount of our playtime. 

This is off the back of my own gaming habits and thinking about the Riot/LoL/Valorant perks coming to Game Pass that feel like they don't resonate here even though it's probably a bit thing in the wider gaming world 

In a lot of cases I suspect this applies to ongoing multiplayer games. The stuff people just play with little reason to discuss. But major patches or balance changes could provoke discussion but without threads or open discussion we might all assume no one else plays.

Maybe we need a "this week I've mostly been playing" thread where we track the hours spent on our games. Maybe we'd find that something like 50% of our gaming time is spent on stuff we never discuss. Are we playing Candy Crush more than Elden Ring without admitting it.

So consider this an opportunity to air what you play and don't discuss here. Any maybe why? Is it embarrassing? Is there nothing to discuss?

-----

Myself, the primary game I play at the moment is Hearthstone and it's Battlegrounds mode.

I got into the auto battler genre with its defining title, a Dota2 mod called Dota Auto Chess a few years ago. The whole genre is pretty small I guess and generally not covered much here (or really anywhere in the major gaming press). But I enjoy the sort of indirect multiplayer. It's competitive but I don't really notice or have to think about others.

It's also free other than an option to buy really just the choice between 4 heros at the start of a game instead of 4 (which to can also buy as I did with earned in game currency). No card packs or anything to tempt me in. This appeals because I can come and go without feeling over invested.

It's just my go to relaxing game. I do read about it on Reddit but here the whole genre is tumbleweed.

-----

And it's not only what I play... but also what I watch streamed.

I watch lots of Trackmania. At 6pm most days I tune in for their cup of the day competition with a range of streams. I've dabbled for a few minutes in the game but it doesn't hook me at all. Yet I just have it on so much. Often hardly watching.

I also watch DOTA 2 competitive events. I've never played and have no interest doing so. I enjoy the tactical elements even though I know nothing of the meta most of the time. Many of the games are quite uneventful really but sometimes you get a stunning hour plus game with some crazy comeback or endgame.

I’ve been playing Golf Clash for almost a year now on my iPhone which is the first time I’ve been sucked into a mobile drip fed type game for a long time. I did try to revive the thread a couple of times in the first few months of playing as there is one on here but nobody really responded so I’m guessing the hype from that had gone. I must be approaching about 350-400 hours of play on that one based on the number of games I’ve played and averaging out the time span at 6 mins per game. I’ve even spent money on it which is the only ftp title I’ve ever done that with, however it’s around a tenner in total so not that bad for the time spent. I have slowed down on it lately though.

Ah, this is the thread I’ve been looking for to brag about my recent achievement! I’m always playing Lumines Remastered these days, the speed of loading on PS5 means there is no barrier at all to having a quick go. I always have played Lumines on and off but took a multi-year break for Tetris Effect.

Anyway I just managed to creep into the top 10 for Skin Edit mode the other day with a 71 chain combo. I’m top 20 in most of the time attacks and a bit lower in the longer modes, because there is less opportunity to have a quick blast.

DEFD976D-AAEA-41AA-BF23-DE6FF744DDAB.jpeg

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Dead or alive. Decent fighter but so embarrassing seeing those titties flying about everywhere. 

I absolutely love the DOA games. Have done since Doa2 on Dreamcast. Still no good at them mind. 

5 and 6 went away from the core fighter gameplay in my view and just became more of a dlc vehicle for waifu costumes. I’d love them to do a trimmed down tighter doa7 but I fear I’m in the minority. 

That said, I’ve been enjoying SNK Heroines a fair bit of late. Totally cheesy but the fighting mechanic is relatively simple. 

Clash Royale has been my most played game for years now, it's almost a source of comfort when I've got a few mins spare I can fire up a competitive game, which I'm decent at, and have a couple of battles against real opponents. 

My playtime is now measured in the weeks on it, and that doesn't even cover all the game modes available.

I still think gamers/gaming in general has a sniffy attitude to mobile games, thinking that anything free to play is automatically without any gaming merit or talent in terms of game design/skill etc. As a game design Clash Royale is quite brilliant and remains pretty unmatched as a PvP battler, despite so many clones/copies appearing. It also gave mobile gaming the basic game structure for this sort of thing, something which other games just ripped off totally, Golf Clash even nicked part of it's name as well as the whole UI. 

I play lots of games that are either too niche to get any popular attention or simply too old for most people to care. The thing is, I buy a lot of games, too many to find the time for at least. While frustrating when the games are popular and being discussed in megathreads on this forum it's nice to have a buffer of good games when things get a bit more quiet. Like now, it seems there are rather few big games hitting the market which is why I've dug up some oldies that I missed out on when they were originally released. 

Currently I'm alternating between Ass Cred Origins and Dragon Quest Builders 2, two games I find perfect for these rather busy summer days with less than usual spare time to play games. 

I also recently bought Diablo 2 Resurrection for the Xbox, even though I played it to death 20 years ago. While it certainly feels like a 20 year old game still, there's something magical about its stiff controls and quirky way of handling inventory that I just love spending time with the game.

As soon as I find some extra time where I know I can go overboard, play time wise, I'm going to unwrap my PS4 copy of TLOU2 and play it on PS5 with the next gen patch. Can't wait to play that for the first time, years after most of you guys. 

I recently picked up Dysmantle for £4 on xbox after hearing a couple of comments on it some time ago on twitter or era. 

Now im addicted to it and it has more going on that you first think. Its just a great game and utterly compelling. Yet no one seems to talk about here.  

18 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

air what you play and don't discuss here. Any maybe why? Is it embarrassing?

Kind of tricky because the stuff I play is embarrassing and yet I discuss it here. 🙃 Persona is good clean fun most of the time but I can imagine onlookers wanting to call the cops. Also I find Destiny kind of embarrassing when I think about the weekly loop of completing objectives for shinies, but it has plenty of good things to talk about.

Going back a bit, I did have an Animal Crossing: Wild World habit that I more or less kept to myself. As cute as the AC games are, they feel a bit like chore simulators that don't really go anywhere, and so I didn't really like admitting where my free time was going.

26 minutes ago, Ry said:

I recently picked up Dysmantle for £4 on xbox after hearing a couple of comments on it some time ago on twitter or era. 

Now im addicted to it and it has more going on that you first think. Its just a great game and utterly compelling. Yet no one seems to talk about here.  

This is on my pile of shame

• 3 months later...
On 27/06/2022 at 15:54, Ry said:

This is currently 9 quid on Xbox and I saw you played it. Is it some kind of survival rpg thing?

Both the games I'm playing at the moment fall into this category for different reasons.

I've come back to The Lord of the Rings Online recently, finding it not only in rude health but seemingly going from strength to strength. They've finally standardised the game's structure so everything up to and including Gondor is now free for all players, but they then seem to do giveaway codes once a year or so (there's one going around at the moment) that give you most of the rest as well anyway. So it's a big old game for pretty much everyone.

Right now - having bust through Mordor and beyond - they are now going back and adding new areas to the start of the game. The Shire has doubled in size, there's a whole new section in Breeland and there's a big chunk south of the Trollshaws now that you couldn't get to previously. The upcoming mini-expansion adds two new areas and an entirely new way to level from 1 to 30. And there's apparently a graphics revamp on the way too. Maybe they're aiming at a new audience brought in by Rings of Power but it's quite surprising that where most MMOs of this vintage (15 years!) are firmly in maintenance mode, LOTRO seems to be doing its best to both attract new players and give existing fans something new to do.

But it's an MMO, so nobody here really talks about it. And it's an MMO, so the dedicated forums are just full of people complaining. So I just plod on through Middle-Earth, enjoying the journey at my own pace.

Separately, I'm playing Danganronpa V3 which is the kind of game you turn off in a hurry if someone else enters the room. It's a game about a bunch of perpetually horny teens being terrorised by an evil teddy bear. It's brilliant, but I can't imagine ever talking to anyone about it without ending up on some sort of register.