IGNORED

Last game that had you hooked...

MattyP

So I've been playing some content via PSN Premium and streamed a game called Velocibox.

What have you been playing that had you hooked in quickly and found hard to put down?

In other news simply loving the PSN streaming service and has a great collection of games on there! :) Going to get a full years sub at some point this month. Something of a bargain at £99. I'll sell of my disk PS5 games to part fund it too as I don't think I'll need them again! :D

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

What have you been playing that had you hooked in quickly and found hard to put down?

DISCO ELYSIUM, baby! What a game. I was fascinated right from the start and as the story progressed and more of the world and its inhabitants was revealed, the more engrossed I became. It was the kind of game I was thinking about nonstop whenever I wasn't playing it. And that stuck with me for a long time afterwards. A complete thrill from start to finish, I love it so much.

I have to replay it sometime soon...

Much to my surprise Forza Horizon 5. I skipped 4 and sort of gave up on 3, so it feels pretty fresh to me. Especially as I am playing on the Steam Deck. It has enough to do, wiothout ever being overwhelming and lets you play at your own pace. It is spot on for someone with ADHD. 

The accessibility settings are top notch too. Which means I can play without much issue. 

Before that though...

Binding of Isaac Repentance. 

Jumped back in when this came out and to me it is still the best in class. 

Tetris Effect Connected

Played it now on PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series S, Switch, Epic, Steam and now Steam Deck. It is my go to game to feel better.

Grindstone

Another recent one, it has come out previously on mobile and Switch, but is now on PC, thus Steam Deck. A dungeon crawler 'match-3' sort of thing with light RPG elements. You need to slice through monsters of thje same colour to build up an attack for bigger monsters, crates, etc, meeting a target to open the door and progress. It gets pretty deep after a whjile in terms of techniques. Nails the 'easy to learn, difficult to master' thing so well. 

Elden Ring, of course. Although I have recently been able to step away from it and get into other things.

More recently, I picked up Hades in the Steam sale and it's very moreish. Deaths feel pretty "fair" and so I'm often cursing my own ineptitude and going back in for additional runs.

37 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Tetris Effect Connected

Played it now on PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series S, Switch, Epic, Steam and now Steam Deck. It is my go to game to feel better.

Oh yes this is soooo addictive. The MS GP PC version also works in VR which is great for immersion and completely dropping out of the real world for a while. Lovely music too.

Splatoon! 1 & 2 - bit me hard. Roll on 9 September for 3.

Zelda: BotW

More recently:

Slay the Spire

Hades

Picross. Stopped buying them on the eShop to go cold turkey.

Edit: The Return of the Obra Dinn. Really intense while it lasted. Gotta solve them all!

World of Warcraft for years.

Overwatch during its peak, I spent time in the office looking at strategies of Reddit's /r/overwatchuniversity (IIRC). Now I hate it.

In terms of 'I'm going to play this game the first moment I wake up' levels of addiction, the most recent examples are Shin Megami Tensei IV, the Zero Escape series, the Danganronpa series and VA11 Hall-A.

The main culprits either being a story I just can't put down (ZE, DR and VA11), or just an interesting world that I adore the atmosphere of (VA11 and SMT IV).

Other games can have the same amount of pull, but I usually put them down if there's a dry spell or I have other shit to do - I've been playing Path of Exile for the past ten years, but after a month of solid play I'd stop from burnout until the next quarterly league/update.

Elden Ring, 200+ hours in that game, pretty much never put that down when it first came out.

Lesser so, Horizon Forbidden West. I love just chilling and taking my time in that game, it looks so amazing.

and Gauntlet Legends on N64!

I'm finding Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak absolutely unputdownable at the moment.

I was a bit lukewarm on base Rise but this is bloody great, loads of content and finally a decent difficulty level that forces you to engage with all the game's systems.

1 hour ago, smac said:

Splatoon! 1 & 2 - bit me hard. Roll on 9 September for 3.

Oh Spatoon a great game.. .played this a fair bit on the WiiU! It was great at the time due to the utilisation of the two screens... local multiplayer without having to buy another monitor etc. Great fun! :) I expect the Switch version works the same way?

Nah - the lack of second screen means map on button press. Don't recall playing any local MP in 1, but 2 requires multiple Switches.

Biggest loss for me is no Manta, Killer Wail or seeker missiles 😞

37 minutes ago, smac said:

Nah - the lack of second screen means map on button press. Don't recall playing any local MP in 1, but 2 requires multiple Switches.

Biggest loss for me is no Manta, Killer Wail or seeker missiles 😞

Ah true.. you can't output the TV screen and the Switch screen as two separate screens can you? Its just a mirror of the Switches screen from the dock. Shame. WiiU was really innovative IMHO more so than the Switch.. but that is for another topic I guess... :D

I've been on a run of games that have completely grabbed me and not let go until completion for about a year now, since I got my PS5.  I was planning to play through Demon's Souls, but instead started Persona 5, which was one of the free games with PS+.  Pretty much played that exclusively for months until completion. Then I started Yakuza: Like A Dragon and the same thing happened.  I even platinumed that one.  Then Elden Ring came out, and I'm still playing.

So I've only really played three games over a period of about a year, yet played a hell of a lot during that time.

There's been a few. According to Steam, Elite Dangerous is the biggie - I've chucked about 500 hours of my life into it, and I didn't even have it in my Steam library till around the time Horizons came out. I was a Premium Beta backer for it during it's Indiegogo campaign, so God knows how many hours I've put into it really.

The Witcher 3 would be the next one. I've done the main quest twice, finished both expansions and still go in from time-to-time to mop up the odd side quest.

Third-person action adventures seem to be my thing, because the next two really big games for me were undoubtedly Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2. In more recent times I also got hopelessly hooked on God of War on PS4.

Nothing new really, but absolutely shed-loads of older stuff have been endlessly replayed - partly thanks to the extra shininess that Series X provides back compatibility!

The Gears of War and Halo series being the main drive recently.

However, whilst I've yet to really get into the new Horizon game, I've been replaying the original on PC and it's been a huge time-sink. I've been through it a couple of times before, but never done much of the side quests, nor had I touched Frozen Wastes so the time is right to plough through and get that all done I think. I've found it one of the few games that I've enjoyed more each time I've played it...and shooting chunks of armour off robots has never gotten old!

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Gears of War

Played through this again last year - it was on the PC and the "ultimate version" which had some extra chapters in. Still a great game and one of my all time favourite shooters. Just mindless blasting - like space invaders brought into this era! :)

Just now, MattyP said:

Played through this again last year - it was on the PC and the "ultimate version" which had some extra chapters in. Still a great game and one of my all time favourite shooters. Just mindless blasting - like space invaders brought into this era! :)

It's great fun, although Gears 2 and 3 on the SX with 60fps are bloody awesome fun.

There must be something wrong with my brain because I can't get hooked on anything these days, and if I do get gripped it's in a very catnip kind of way, that is I'll play it solidly for a few hours then it drops off the radar completely. A good example, bought a game in the Steam Christmas sale called Monster Train, a deck-building tower defence sort of deal, and I played the shit out of that all Christmas, but quickly found I wasn't playing it and had no desire to do so. 

The last game that compelled me to play it solidly for more than a couple of hours was Borderlands 3 which surprised me. I put 65 hours into that over the course of about six weeks at the start of the 2020 lockdown. Honestly don't know what kept me going because it certainly wasn't the writing or characters. My brain caught up with me eventually though, stopped me engaging in DLC or the New Game Plus which altered the game to make it different enough to keep going. 

Dysmantle. 

40 hours in and feel I could play for another 30 at least. 

Before that it was Elden Ring or FH5.