Women's EURO 2022

Danster

I really enjoyed the last women's tournament, and with England as one of the favourites I think it could be an exciting tourney.

England v Austria kick the tournament off tonight at 8pm on BBC1. I'll be watching, what about you?

Group A

Austria

England

Northern Ireland

Norway

Group B

Denmark

Finland

Germany

Spain

Group C

Netherland

Portugal

Sweden

Switzerland

Group D

Belgium

France

Iceland

Italy

Hoping to get to a couple of the Germany out Netherlands games with Edith. 

Possibly even Northern Ireland as Rachel Furness should be playing.

It’s coming home! Really hope this is a watershed moment for women’s football in the UK, and the success of recent seasons culminates in a really enjoyable tournament.

England being among the favourites should help, and great to see so many games already being sold out, including the final.

Got tickets to the Germany Vs Denmark game on Friday in Brentford. Looking forward to that. 

Then we try one more group game and hopefully a knockout tie 

11 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I assume they have goal line tech at the tournament. That was very close. 

Yeah, ref's watch beeped. So of course they undermined the entire £million tech by referring it to VAR anyway 🤦🏾‍♂️

That said, they were like that in the last Women's World Cup too.

Anyone watching for the first time in ages. The game has grown massively in the last few years. It is a world apart from the previous decade even. 

The goalkeepers are a big part of that, it was always one of the weaker areas of the game. 

I hope England win the whole thing because it would be massive for the growth of the sport in this country which would be great for my daughter.

5 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Anyone watching for the first time in ages. The game has grown massively in the last few years. It is a world apart from the previous decade even. 

The goalkeepers are a big part of that, it was always one of the weaker areas of the game.

Yes and I was just thinking that.  The football they are playing is far above what I've seen before.

2 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

Yes and I was just thinking that.  The football they are playing is far above what I've seen before.

Yeah for sure. You can see the quality improving all over. The Women's Championship game example whilst a step down from the WSL isn't as far a step down in quality as it used to be. 

If the bottom of the pyramid continues to get better the the overall quality at the top does. 

Watching the girls aged 5-10 at Wildcats each weekend and you can see how much they want to be like their heroes as they can see a path that wasn't there before. They also understand that need to get better to make it. 

The more coverage on free TV the better 

Millie Brights positioning has been excellent imo, I'd love for them to train with the men's teams as I'm sure they could share information to help each other improve 

8 minutes ago, wev said:

Millie Brights positioning has been excellent imo, I'd love for them to train with the men's teams as I'm sure they could share information to help each other improve 

Many have access to the same facilities and the is some crossover but not enough. 

Chelsea and Man City really lead the way in this 

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

Got tickets to the Germany Vs Denmark game on Friday in Brentford. Looking forward to that. 

Then we try one more group game and hopefully a knockout tie 

If you’re going by train (from Waterloo), get off at Kew Bridge, which is in the shadow of the stadium.

Just now, glb said:

If you’re going by train (from Waterloo), get off at Kew Bridge, which is in the shadow of the stadium.

Ah good to know thank you

Yeah, very much a case of the result being all that matters. Huge game with Norway at the Amex on Monday, who should have a sizeable goal difference after playing Northern Ireland tomorrow.

Also, I like that this tournament is only using Wembley once. It both means the tournament is spread around various parts of the country but also that the final really feel like a huge occasion.

1 hour ago, wev said:

She was wonderful tonight. Got everything spot on and looked in complete control.

I was at the game tonight. The atmosphere was great. Who doesn’t love a Mexican wave or paper aeroplane hitting the turf. 

Will never watch an England women’s match again. The last one I watched I was made so angry with the amount of time wasting and cheating by the team. Infuriating to watch.

I missed about fifteen minutes at the start of the second half, but I thought Austria did very well last night. They started brightly and clearly couldn't maintain that level of pressure, but still tested Mary Earps right to the end. It's perhaps unsurprising the scoreline ended up the same as the last meeting in November. The return World Cup qualifier in September will probably be England's biggest test of that campaign, but while England have cruised qualifying there, I'd not like Ireland to meet Austria in the playoffs.

Assuming, of course, that Ireland can get that far. 

Speaking of the Irish, I don't see Northern Ireland getting anything tonight, but I bloody hope they give it a good go.

Just now, Fry Crayola said:

Absolutely. There was an article in the Guardian last month which was quite illuminating, essentially stating that specific goalkeeping coaching was a rarity in the game until recently. 

Funding is everything.

It comes down to this also... 

The better the goalkeeper is, the better the strikers need to be, which means the better the defenders must be, the midfielders then need to be better at supplying and in turn cutting supply. As the outfield players get better, the goalkeepers need to get better still and the cycle continues. 

It doesn't help that many youth setups still see girls as secondary. We enquired about Edith's potential progression at Springfield and was told'if she is good enough she can find a space on a boys team*' otherwise she needs to wait until she is older to get on a girls team.

As in Girls have U9 and boys U7 (even U6) starting teams. 

Which is wrong. All football should be mixed all the way through youth football. Goalkeeper training is aimed at the boys, with the girls needing to really try to find out for themselves if anything is possible. 

If a club is already giving more progression paths to boys than they are to girls at 5,6,7 years of age. Then of course the girls will be left behind and not pick up the same level of coaching. 

Hopefully at other clubs it is different. There is one that is a little far out that does have mixed, so looking at maybe moving Edith there. 

*Not the same rule for boys... they will create a B, C, D, E, etc team to fit them in. Hell the team I coached were essentially an E-Team, in the third division. I wasn't allowed to bring in any girls either.