Women's EURO 2022

Danster

Wow what a night and what a result. I actually really enjoyed that it was a cagey bad tempered affair! Crunching tackles, swearing, bit of afters sometimes. Lovely stuff. And the celebrations and reactions at the end were amazing to watch.

As much as this was an incredible footballing achievement, it feels like so much more than that as well. Hopefully this is just the beginning!

17 minutes ago, Gabe said:

The playing of Sweet Caroline was the only bad thing about yesterday. 

Oh come on... you watch this moment and think it is a bad thing?

I played football until I finished Uni. Absolutely love it. Had to play in the boy’s team in primary school as we didn’t have a girl’s team. Still bossed it 😆

This is enormous for women’s football and I feel so, so happy and proud of all those players who undoubtedly experienced a whole load of shit throughout their lives to get to where they are now. 💗

I mean I've just skim read the article but it explains it quite well doesn't it? "This is a woman's body not for sex or show". The significance of breasts not in sexual context or for male pleasure, but in a celebration of female athletic achievement.

Edit: wouldn't say she was lost in the moment, I thought she planned to do it if she scored (as she stopped to check if the goal had stood). I wondered if she wanted to make that kind of statement.

8 minutes ago, John0 said:

I mean I've just skim read the article but it explains it quite well doesn't it? "This is a woman's body not for sex or show". The significance of breasts not in sexual context or for male pleasure, but in a celebration of female athletic achievement.

Edit: wouldn't say she was lost in the moment, I thought she planned to do it if she scored (as she stopped to check if the goal had stood). I wondered if she wanted to make that kind of statement.

She begun to remove her top, paused to check then continued, so I'd personally say half and half. But the point is still relevant, she didn't give a fuck what some blokes thought 

18 minutes ago, wev said:

She begun to remove her top, paused to check then continued, so I'd personally say half and half. But the point is still relevant, she didn't give a fuck what some blokes thought 

Oh yeah but I think it's not insignificant that it looked like a deliberate f*ck you all I'll do what I want, rather than that the moment overcame her.

I think it was a planned thing in homage to Brandi Chastain who did the same thing at the 1999 world cup.

I think they mentioned it in the studio at the time that Alex Scott had talked to Kelly about it before the match.

1 hour ago, wev said:

What's hard to understand? Women are still expected to cover up, maintain some form of "modesty" enforced upon them for fear that a bit of skin will prompt sexual attention, that she was so lost in that moment that she didn't fucking care what some bloke would think, I can see that being empowering.

1 hour ago, John0 said:

She said that last time she was at Wembley was for a QPR play off final and this was her "Bobby Zamora Moment" 

Taking the shirt off seemed to be a nod to her football idols, celebrating a winning goal in the closing minutes of extra time in the way people often do celebrate a goal of that magnitude.

Her thinking was probably as simple as that, sure, but I think alot of young girls and women will take much more from it.

Fucking ridiculous that you can get booked for taking your top off though, it's always been a bullshit rule. One of my favourite memories is Wrighty lifting his shirt (too early) to celebrate breaking Cliff Bastins record

21 minutes ago, wev said:

Her thinking was probably as simple as that, sure, but I think alot of young girls and women will take much more from it.

Fucking ridiculous that you can get booked for taking your top off though, it's always been a bullshit rule. One of my favourite memories is Wrighty lifting his shirt (too early) to celebrate breaking Cliff Bastins record

Yep, Robbie Fowler's DoCKers T-Shirt stands out for me. It is silly. 

I didn't even notice in the stadium she'd done it due to the pandemonium going on in the stands. 

Once again, blame sponsors. You think they're happy when the camera zooms in on a happy player and you can't see the logo of your favourite Far Eastern betting company and/or investment portfolio brand?

Money is the worst thing.

But for international kit the only people who lost out were um, Nike, who just got a lot more out of it than they would've. I suppose they have to be consistent to keep up the pretence it's important.

Running theory is that they’re booked for disrupting play not disrupting sponsors as the player needs to put top back on again so takes time.  Load of nonsense either way.

We haven’t come that far though - Lineker posted a stupid tweet which he’s since deleted.  

What I see and know is that you see women wearing less on the other channels running 100m, or at your own gym.  As a woman it’s a statement of the normal now for those who are comfortable enough with their bodies to do it.  And more people doing it will make others more comfortable too.  My Instagram is full of gym influencers of all shapes and sizes in sports bras and shorts.

Something that is getting on my nerves is people hating on other sports that people enjoy.  I KNOW it sucks that women and girls were forced into certain sports at school, but that doesn’t mean those sports suck, and England have a fair crack at winning some in the commonwealth games too.  We should be able to celebrate participation in all sport and the victory that this is for that rather than doing it at the expense of others.

I thought the ban on top removal came in under the pretence of "preventing political statements" (such as Fowlers)? Obviously that was only what the governing bodies said it was for.

Also, @spritemakes a good point in this and the other thread. My eldest used to play cricket, she joined some summer clubs when she was 12/13 and really enjoyed it then when back at school they would do "electives" twice a week and if cricket was available she'd choose that, got invited onto the (boys) team for a few games even. 

She stopped playing when she did her GCSE's, though I've mentioned theres a local ladies team but she isn't really available on the days they currently meet. But not only should we be encouraging more girls teams, we should be encouraging progression from those teams into mixed teams. I know people like to hide behind the "physicality" of "mens" sports. But, well, last night showed these players know how to play physically (and didnt resort to as much play acting), not to mention some sports have mixed teams (see hockey)

10 minutes ago, wev said:

I thought the ban on top removal came in under the pretence of "preventing political statements" (such as Fowlers)? Obviously that was only what the governing bodies said it was for.

The section of the IFAB rules about this lead with an explanation that players must not celebrate with excessive joy. I'm not joking.

The whole tournament has been amazing, and great to see the England players being so sporting in victory, consoling the German players.

Thoroughly deserved win. The whole England squad put so much into it, and Serina Wiegman is an incredible coach.

1 hour ago, hmm said:

The section of the IFAB rules about this lead with an explanation that players must not celebrate with excessive joy. I'm not joking.

Technically it was an illegal booking last night as the rule states he/his….

11 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Technically it was an illegal booking last night as the rule states he/his….

If that's the case, I am so using that as my defense if I ever score a goal and whip my top off

<<<<<<<