WRC Generations

Junker

Not much mention of the WRC games on here, but I’ve dipped in and out of them over the time Milestone then Kylotonn have been the developers.

This year is the last year Kylotonn will have it, as the licence goes to EA from next year. That means Codemasters developing a follow up to Dirt Rally 2 with an official licence, which sounds very exciting.

However, I’m here to bang the drum for these WRC Games. WRC9 and 10 are truly excellent. 
 Generations is out later this year and seems likely to be a suitable swansong.

WRC Generations will be featuring Rally1 cars in line with the hybrid Rally1 rules added for 2022. The new cars include Toyota GR Yaris Rally1, Hyundai i20 N Rally1 (pictured above), and Ford Puma Rally1. There are 37 historical cars as well, as seen in the announcement trailer video embedded above.

Meanwhile, the Rally Sweden stage in the game has been modified to narrow, high-speed, snowy tracks to reflect the Umeå region in the 2022 season. There are nine locations outside of the WRC calendar as well, totalling 165 stages for the brand new game.

8 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

I much prefer this series to what Codemasters puts out. It’s sad to see them lose the licence to something that will end up a mess of expensive transactions. 

Exactly this. Dirt Rally 3.0 WRC edition will be a a MTX fest just like F1 22. 

My favorite modern game is still WRC 9 though, I don't know why, but I feel like WRC 10 changed somethings for the worst... it just feels more off and looks weirder at times. 

But I love the focused presentation of the Kylotonn WRC games. Hopefully they continue with some Rally X spin off series since I don't think the WRC license adds much, it might even be more detrimental to doing cooler things or locations. 

16 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

My favorite modern game is still WRC 9 though, I don't know why, but I feel like WRC 10 changed somethings for the worst... it just feels more off and looks weirder at times. 

WRC 10 on a wet stage in dashboard  view, with a low sun looks insanely good. Stunning. Then you watch the replay and it looks a bit PS2…. But who cares, they nail the driving side of things.

Also WRC10 on PS5 the menus and loading times are nice and snappy. Makes it a nice game to live with 

1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Exactly this. Dirt Rally 3.0 WRC edition will be a a MTX fest just like F1 22.

I don’t think F1 22 is really a MTX Fest, it’s basically a VIP Pass which is available without any additional spend, eventually. Preorders included a bunch of pitcoins and completing a season gives enough pitcoins to purchase VIP again with 1000 leftover. It’s pretty much all cosmetic and ignorable anyway and even without it there’s a lot of content in F1.

The biggest issue I have with Codies games of recent times, inc DR 2.0, is they release a game so light on content (tracks) and then charge for DLC/Season Pass/Deluxe Edition to add what could reasonably be expected to be in the base game. However, I actually think their WRC game will be more complete, along the lines of F1, presuming it’s an Officially Licensed EA Sports title.

I’m hoping WRC Generations will be a great sign-off though.

18 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I don’t think F1 22 is really a MTX Fest, it’s basically a VIP Pass which is available without any additional spend, eventually. Preorders included a bunch of pitcoins and completing a season gives enough pitcoins to purchase VIP again with 1000 leftover. It’s pretty much all cosmetic and ignorable anyway and even without it there’s a lot of content in F1.

The biggest issue I have with Codies games of recent times, inc DR 2.0, is they release a game so light on content (tracks) and then charge for DLC/Season Pass/Deluxe Edition to add what could reasonably be expected to be in the base game. However, I actually think their WRC game will be more complete, along the lines of F1, presuming it’s an Officially Licensed EA Sports title.

I’m hoping WRC Generations will be a great sign-off though.

I find their presentation bloated and the F1 Life intro cringey as hell. They’re clearly taking a page from the Forza Horizon playbook. 

F1 Life is an odd one, they made a big thing of it but it just seems like a way to view/access Supercars and their events, display trophies and act as a MP Lobby. I don’t find it intrusive like in FH and just feel a bit meh about it.

On 06/07/2022 at 23:14, Junker said:

Not much mention of the WRC games on here, but I’ve dipped in and out of them over the time Milestone then Kylotonn have been the developers.

This year is the last year Kylotonn will have it, as the licence goes to EA from next year. That means Codemasters developing a follow up to Dirt Rally 2 with an official licence, which sounds very exciting.

However, I’m here to bang the drum for these WRC Games. WRC9 and 10 are truly excellent. 
 Generations is out later this year and seems likely to be a suitable swansong.

WRC Generations will be featuring Rally1 cars in line with the hybrid Rally1 rules added for 2022. The new cars include Toyota GR Yaris Rally1, Hyundai i20 N Rally1 (pictured above), and Ford Puma Rally1. There are 37 historical cars as well, as seen in the announcement trailer video embedded above.

Meanwhile, the Rally Sweden stage in the game has been modified to narrow, high-speed, snowy tracks to reflect the Umeå region in the 2022 season. There are nine locations outside of the WRC calendar as well, totalling 165 stages for the brand new game.

I love the snowy tracks, so looking forward to Sweden. These games manage to nail the thrill and feeling of driving in a Rally amazingly well considering I play them with a controller. WRC 9 was one of the first racing games to properly use the PS5 Dualsense.

WRC 10 has a lot of content so I’m not expecting this to be massively different when it comes to rallies and stages but it’s great that they are signing off with what will essentially be a greatest hits style release.

5 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I love the snowy tracks, so looking forward to Sweden. These games manage to nail the thrill and feeling of driving in a Rally amazingly well considering I play them with a controller. WRC 9 was one of the first racing games to properly use the PS5 Dualsense.

Yes that’s a good point. The noises coming out of the controller for gravel etc.  can be annoyingly loud. But once that’s sorted the pad experience is fantastic on 9 and 10. Really engaging.

On a sim wheel it’s awesome as well but  for me I find it really physically and mentally draining- but I guess that’s good if it’s supposed to be a sim. Depending on my mood I enjoy both equally 

1 hour ago, Junker said:

Yes that’s a good point. The noises coming out of the controller for gravel etc.  can be annoyingly loud. But once that’s sorted the pad experience is fantastic on 9 and 10. Really engaging.

On a sim wheel it’s awesome as well but  for me I find it really physically and mentally draining- but I guess that’s good if it’s supposed to be a sim. Depending on my mood I enjoy both equally 

I use headphones, so I never hear anything from the controller, including how noisy the DualSense itself is with everything going on inside it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve pre-ordered from base.com, £27.85 for PS5 version. 
previews suggest it will be a small step up from 10 which to be fair was ace, but the amount of content is pretty incredible.

What I think these games arguably do better than Dirt Rally 2 is the tracks are more realistically narrow, and some sections are really tight. Also the track surfaces have a lot more variety and more pronounced camber and ruts. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really good rally game but the so was WRC10 and 9 etc…

It’s just a slight iteration on what went before, but with loads of locations and stages.

The graphics are a tiny bit better. In game and in motion this game is excellent, the stages can sometimes look incredibly life-like. Static models and the livery editor show it up as miles off of Forza and GT7 in terms of car models. lighting seems better. It looks a bit better, the contrast is a bit better and so is easier to play in the daytime, and the new hybrid cars are fun.

The handling feels a bit more tricky on a pad. Power off oversteer is real and so it’s very easy to over correct and go weaving up the stage. Maybe with practice it means better turn in and faster times, but initially it’s a bit different and hard for me to get comfy with.

On a wheel it feels great, although on my T300 it feels like they’ve toned down  the torque of the force feedback a little from WRC10. I’ve only done a handful of cars and stages so it might be just the combos I’ve chosen.

I’m on PS5 and load times between menus are snappy, multiplayer matchmaking is decent ( it’s cross play same as the leaderboards) 

New modes are clubs ( search for JUNKERDENB ‘s club in game ) where you can do rallies as custom timectrial challenges. 
And then there’s leagues and team leagues ( Rallymuk is on there if you fancy joining). This is online daily and weekly races that put you in mini leagues of people of a similar skill level. Depending on results you get promoted/ demoted etc. it’s a bit like Rocket League etc

This looks nice but like all the wrc games from KT racing, the lack of a proper damage model really affects the immersion of the game.  It’s hard to believe that some thing like Colin McRae 4 on the original xbox had a damage model which would even put these games to shame. 

8 hours ago, marsh said:

Don't get me started on fucking punctures either.

The Pirelli tyre lottery has been a major part of the WRC championship this year so I’m going to see this as KT making the game as realistic as possible.

Enough with the crap double entendre! This is an excellent rally game, me and junker were looking at some of the stuff included and it's pretty comprehensive.

Very much a wheel game rather than pad I think, and as usual, some of the top times are ridiculous. Will enjoy a long winter with this, full crossplay so no excuses to not join the team Rallymuk!

On 25/10/2022 at 00:58, Junker said:

I’ve pre-ordered from base.com, £27.85 for PS5 version. 
previews suggest it will be a small step up from 10 which to be fair was ace, but the amount of content is pretty incredible.

What I think these games arguably do better than Dirt Rally 2 is the tracks are more realistically narrow, and some sections are really tight. Also the track surfaces have a lot more variety and more pronounced camber and ruts. 

Is base.com reliable ? is it physical copies or digital ? Thanks

If anyone is up for it @marsh and I have started the Team League as “Rallymuk” if anyone wants to join in.

The good thing is this game is cross platforms, the downside is you have to become friends in game, but minor hassle aside this is really good. 

£17.99 on PC, or £22.99 for the 'Fully Loaded Edition'.

WRC Generations Fully Loaded Edition includes:

Sébastien Loeb's Citroën C4 WRC (2010)

The "Career Starter Pack" with 6 extra crew members

2 Porsche 911 GT3 RS RGT liveries

A pack of 36 stickers for the Livery Editor

Free access to WRC+ for 3 months

Not sure if those extra bits are worth it.  What is WRC+?