Story-rich detective exploration games

electricmastro

Games where you investigate for information while interacting with various environments and characters in stories containing mysteries or cases. Games of this type that I've liked include:

Disco Elysium

Tangle Tower

Syberia

Kathy Rain

Jenny LeClue

Tales of the Neon Sea

Rainswept

Gamedec

Paradise killer is great. Quite a lot of semi aimless exploring but I did enjoy that. But piecing the crimes together was brilliant. 

Strictly speaking tales of the obra dinn isn't quite as you said... You're not really talking to people but it's 100% deduction from the clues in front of you, piecing together a story. It's also brilliant 

3 hours ago, cowfields said:

Paradise killer is great. Quite a lot of semi aimless exploring but I did enjoy that. But piecing the crimes together was brilliant. 

Strictly speaking tales of the obra dinn isn't quite as you said... You're not really talking to people but it's 100% deduction from the clues in front of you, piecing together a story. It's also brilliant 

These two absolutley. I'd also highly recommend The Forgotten City and Citizen Sleeper, and hugely recommend with the highest of accolades The Outer Wilds (all of these and Paradise Killer & Danganronpa are on Gamepass). Otherwise Phoenix Wright is the biggest obvious shout.

Edit- and AI The Somnium Files. Also on Gamepass. Just get Gamepass and Obra Dinn essentially.

Heaven's Vault. It skews mostly towards archeology not face to face detective work (although there's a bit of that too) but it scratches the same itch.

3 hours ago, JamesC said:

Deadly Premonition

I actually gave up on this one. I enjoyed the story and the main character was great, but the gameplay wasn't fun.

The gameplay isn't the real point in Deadly Premonition. It's one of the worst/best games I've ever played. Probably in my all time top ten. 

It's only supposed to be a three hour story romp, but I've been chipping away at Subsurface Circular and I've been enjoying it.

All self-contained as it's driven by speaking to NPCs while sitting on a subway train, but you do play as a detective - and it's made by the same person behind Thomas Is Alone, so the quality dialogue is there.

I did start Hot Tin Roof, but I bounced off of it unfortunately, probably wasn't in the right mindset. I do have Chicken Police ready to go when I've got some spare time.

Couple of games like this I've played recently from Wadjet Eye: Gemini Rue and The Blackwell Legacy. The first is a Blade Runner-y futuristic noir, the latter the first in a series of games where you help out a ghost detective. Both are point and click adventures resolutely maintaining

the spirit of the 90s with some detective work thrown in. I liked them both.

You've also got The Shivah from the same group which is worth a look.

Overboard is a good "I did it, now how to evade accusations" 

Blacksad - plauged with performance issues on launch, I played last year ps4 on ps5/latest patches and it ran well. 

Chicken police - noir, anthropomorphic, black and white 

Wadjet Eye did unavowed which is nice 

23 hours ago, Rayn said:

Gabriel Knight series

Under a Killing Moon series

Blade Runner (the Westwood one)

If you're going 90s, there's also Discworld Noir, Police Quest and Cruise For A Corpse to name a few others.

Don't forget all the Frogware's Sherlock Holmes games. The most recent have gotten quite polished (albeit somewhat more ludicrous), and I really love the deductions UI where you literally wire together neurons in your own brain.