Replaying Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater eighteen years later

Jamie John

18 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Best of luck! I’m totally out of the loop with Metal Gear but I think playthrough threads are awesome so hopefully you’ll stick with it. ^_^

Cheers. I thought about posting this in the retro forum, but I didn't know if a 360 port of a PS2 game played via a current-gen console would be classed as 'retro'.

49 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

The controls, though - oof! It feels like every action requires three times as many button presses as it needs to. Aiming down the sights requires you to first press and release RT to equip your gun, then hold X to raise it, hold RB to go into first-person mode, use the left (urgh) analog stick to aim, before finally releasing X to actually shoot a bullet. It's ungainly, to say the least, and you can't move while aiming (that I know of, anyway).

Awkward button contortions were required on the PS2, but from what I remember it's even more awkward on the 360 because it doesn't have the pressure-sensitive face buttons, so functions like raising/lowering the gun to threaten an enemy without firing had to be given dedicated buttons. (IIRC, the same goes for the original Xbox port of MGS2 Substance.)

I never had an issue with aiming with the left stick, though; for some reason my brain just doesn't think of MGS's first person view like a twin-stick FPS, so aiming with the "wrong" thumb doesn't feel weird. (Except, that is, for the FPS missions in MGS2's VR Missions, which tried to force a control scheme designed for first person aiming while standing still into an FPS with full walk movement! The perfect example of Japanese developers not being into making first person shooters.)

'CQC' and putting enemies in chokeholds is even worse, so much so that I haven't figured out how to do it yet. Going up to an enemy while moving and pressing B will immediately cause you to grab and throw them, temporarily knocking them out, but stopping you from being able to position them, interrogate them, or any of the other cool stuff you can do while they're in your clutches. I *think* to just get them in the chokehold without tossing them over you have to sneak up behind, stop moving and then hold B, but I haven't managed to do it yet as I just keep throwing enemies by accident:

The definitive MGS3 tutorial was by James Howell on YouTube. This is his video on CQC - however he's on PS3 so the pressure-sensitive commands are different in 360.

The other aspect of the game has dated poorly is the camera. It's at too high an angle to be useful, and you don't have a great amount of control over it. The original game came out a year before Resi 4's epoch-changing over-the-shoulder viewpoint, and its absence is keenly felt here. Several times already I've been in a situation where an enemy has spotted me before they're even on my screen or I know they're there, and without MGS1 or 2's radar to help you, you're forced to flick in and out of first-person mode all the time to check what you're actually walking into. This won't be so much of a problem once I get to the more closed-in spaces with fewer sightlines, but for now, in these more open areas, it's a pain in the arse.

Have you tried switching the camera mode to the one introduced in MGS3 Subsistence, which is a conventional third person action game camera? I can't remember the command to toggle it (stick click maybe?) but it's better in most situations.

43 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

any sense of intimidation he'd created up until that point was immediately lost when he miaowed, loudly, to summon his men. That was odd.

They didn't call him Ocelot for his charming personality.

If I'm not mistaken, crouch walking is exclusive to the 3DS version of Snake Eater and you should be able to change to the Subsistence camera angle by clicking the right thumb stick.

I think i've only ever played the first hour of Snake Eater. I should remedy that! This thread has inspired me to do so.

Downloading the HD Collection on Vita. :ph34r: Seems like the perfect fit.

4 hours ago, Curtis said:

I think i've only ever played the first hour of Snake Eater. I should remedy that! This thread has inspired me to do so.

Downloading the HD Collection on Vita. :ph34r: Seems like the perfect fit.

Just as a word of caution I really liked the Vita version of MGS2 but the screen was a little too small for 3. There's a lot of picking slightly different types of green out to shoot them over the game and I'm not sure that tiny screen is the best way to experience it. Hell of a game though, you're lucky to get to experience it for the first time! 

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

First things first, I changed the lights in my room to something suitably jungle-like to help me get in the zone:

image.thumb.png.03ffca61370a389f9fb7f8089165d3b5.png

We're cushion buddies!! :D

20220722_175240.thumb.jpg.862c3845abc20a798634a35e7043ef11.jpg

Nice to see a fellow rllmuker with some class. :coffee:

45 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Just as a word of caution I really liked the Vita version of MGS2 but the screen was a little too small for 3. There's a lot of picking slightly different types of green out to shoot them over the game and I'm not sure that tiny screen is the best way to experience it. Hell of a game though, you're lucky to get to experience it for the first time! 

Damn! Thanks for the warning. I only went that direction because i remember buying it years ago but never actually playing it.

Guess i'l wait for the PC re-release.

On 20/07/2022 at 16:09, Jamie John said:

I got as far as the abandoned warehouse that Sokolov is reportedly being kept inside.

I don't think I made it this far before I gave up on this one. It was too fiddly for me.

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

I don't think I made it this far before I gave up on this one. It was too fiddly for me.

It definitely is fiddly, especially playing it 18 years after release and control schemes have very much become more streamlined. After three and a half hours, however, I am slowly getting used to it.

On 20/07/2022 at 17:05, Jamie John said:

Cheers. I thought about posting this in the retro forum, but I didn't know if a 360 port of a PS2 game played via a current-gen console would be classed as 'retro'.

My kids weren’t even born when the PS4 came out. This is all prehistoric. 

I think I’d played Splinter Cell and possibly Pandora Tomorrow between MGS2 and MGS3, which made that first section of MGS3 feel incredibly archaic at the time. The 3rd person view felt all wrong, focussing on Snake instead of his surroundings. The controls were so clunky and I couldn’t manage CQC either. Splinter Cell was so slick and accessible by comparison. 

Once I got past those opening credits I was hooked though. It’s a brilliant game with some amazing Kojima moments. 

I'd love to play MGS again, but the mechanic of being found kind of kills it for me.

Waiting for however long it is for the guards alert to go down ( if memory serves you have to wait for both an alert and caution timer to count down) absolutely kills the forward momentum in the game.

You don’t have to wait if you just kill everyone. There are many ways to approach these games.

It’s an odd thing to say though, I mean you obviously *wouldn’t* really love to play MGS again if you don’t like a fundamental part of it.

I have played MGS3 many times, and on every playthrough I consistently screw up on the Sokolov rescue. 

The rest of the game is then smoother sailing. I don't know if it's just rustiness on my part, but it does feel like they've thrown in this early area that gives you a lot of approach options but before you've really settled into the game's flow.

Or I could just be shit at it.