Good names for games

MarkN

As an Indie developer I keep a list of names for potential projects. I doubt any of them will actually get made by me, so I thought I'd throw them out there. They're free to use.

NO GOOD WILL COME OF THIS! (good phrase, no clue what the game is though)

Faulty Unit (I've got a loose idea for this that I think sounds interesting*)

Hell Toupee (I saw someone use this pun in a thread a while back, but honestly I came up with it separately, but a game where you play a possessed wig has potential - it's basically Paradroid with humans)

How Do You Like Them Apples? (not a Scooby, but one of my favourite phrases)

That's The Badger! (This could be some kind of hidden object game...)

Havokado! (too few vegetable avatars in games, I'm thinking)

I would love to hear other folks suggestions.

*For Faulty Unit you'd play as a robot with a variety of abilities, jumping, shooting, punching etc. As many as possible. But you're faulty so these things are happening all the time whilst you're trying to control it. So it's randomly jumping, firing and punching occasionally (you'd get advance warnings for each), whilst you try to navigate an environment full of hazards, things that don't want to be punched or will explode if shot etc. The premise of the game is to fix yourself, and you get to choose which liability to remove each time you level up.

this was the greatest part of Kairosoft's Game Dev Story, you were quite restricted in the types of games your company could make but were free to name them.

made me smile every time my dating sim called Angry Birds was a best seller.

you should dictate game ideas into your phone or small tape recorder 'monkey tennis with Bill Gates'

6 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Like the premise....maybe could be a bit Binding of Isaac, with some pick ups having benefits, some not.  Maybe some of your 'Faults' can be combined with other faults to actually make them useful.  A double negative makes a positive, right?!

6 minutes ago, MarkN said:

How Do You Like Them Apples? (not a Scooby, but one of my favourite phrases)

Has to be a Cider farming/producing factory sim.

How Do You Like Them, Apple ? - a group of Foxcon workers try to storm Cupertino to make it thru a rogue like (lite ? I dunno) adventure where you work thru the building to have a final show down with Tim Cook in his true demonic form.

Kabaddi Baddi

Dodgeball Academia type game where you play as a new kid in a Rishikesh school for gifted Kabaddi players. Hopwever there is a rival school who uses underhand tractics tro win the India Youth Games every single year. But this year it will be different as you and your new found friends at the school rise through the ranks to beat the baddies from the other school.  

25 minutes ago, MarkN said:

With the current trend for simulators (PC's, Lawnmowers ,Power Washers, etc) sure this could be some sort of workshop game.

4 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

With the current trend for simulators (PC's, Lawnmowers ,Power Washers, etc) sure this could be some sort of workshop game.

Ah yes, Im thinking it could include a voice over from James May as he fixes and reassembles pre-War "stuff"

37 minutes ago, MarkN said:

NO GOOD WILL COME OF THIS! (good phrase, no clue what the game is though)

A party game that's kind of Yes Prime Minister (the game) x Jackbox, where multiple players have to come up with daft policies in response to absurd national crises and miniscule budgets (both generated by the game). A separate player is designated as the leader and has to select the policy they like the most, but certain players are designated as saboteurs who write out catastrophic policies. (They can submit additional text explaining the disastrous repercussions of their sabotage, but this isn't revealed to the leader until after a saboteur's policy has been chosen.) If a saboteur's policy is picked, they become the new leader. And they get to say the phrase.

9 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

A party game that's kind of Yes Prime Minister (the game) x Jackbox, where multiple players have to come up with daft policies in response to absurd national crises and miniscule budgets (both generated by the game). A separate player is designated as the leader and has to select the policy they like the most, but certain players are designated as saboteurs who write out catastrophic policies. (They can submit additional text explaining the disastrous repercussions of their sabotage, but this isn't revealed to the leader until after a saboteur's policy has been chosen.) If a saboteur's policy is picked, they become the new leader. And they get to say the phrase.

Party Politics, surely?

Yes. I would absolutely play this. Have multiple rounds where people both develop ridiculous policies and also generate smear headlines about the opposing players.

People trade their support base with other for jobs in a future cabinet, which acts as the end game ranking. But making zero friends in the name of Mutually Assured Destruction is also an option.

I often have ideas for games, but my names are usually more perfunctory so that when I'm perusing the list, I know what the game is. 

Still, a few I've liked but have basically never made:

Predhitler: Hitler has escaped to South America, and his Nazi scientists have given him active camouflage. Alternative title: Jederzeit.

Space Earth: My notes say "I just like the title, no real idea what it involves". So, I have no idea what this involves.

Mars: Defender of Earth: Mars has big beefy arms for no reason and punches other planets and asteroids and stuff.

Vectrucks: Vector graphic truck racing!

Huts on the Sea: There are little huts. And there's sea between them. And maybe old men live in the huts and do fishing and things like that. 

Chrono Tricia: Patricia has the power to slow down time, but only when nobody's looking at her. 2D platform beat em up where you need to get out of peope's sight to do damage.

Snooker: This is just snooker, but snooker is a fun word.

Canard: Die Hard, but with ducks.

"In A Roundabout Way"

At first I thought this would be a good alternative name for a Mini motorways style traffic management game, and then I thought - go more niche!  And now I want it to be a Local Council financial management simulator set in lovely Milton Keynes.

T-Rexile Dysfunction

Umbrella Corporation launch a new wonder-drug for men, but it turns them into dinosaurs. Members of S.T.A.R.S investigate.

The Resident Evil / Dino Crisis crossover everyone's been waiting for.

Death Defying.

A courtroom simulator where you have to challenge Death, to get people off unjust death-sentences in an 'A Matter of Life and Death' type manner.

Time for T

An 'Overcooked' style game in which you have to prepare an afternoon tea for Mr T, avoiding foolish happenings and setting up barriers and traps to prevent the admittance of fools to the venue.

The sequel would be called T for 2.

The Bargain Hunt for Red October. 

As an arms dealer, you have to do deals to buy up ex-soviet military hardware to sell to despots and mercenaries around the world, maximising profit and avoiding being killed/ripped off.

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

Hell Toupee (I saw someone use this pun in a thread a while back, but honestly I came up with it separately, but a game where you play a possessed wig has potential - it's basically Paradroid with humans)

Literally a Simpsons Tree House of Horror.

32 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Canard: Die Hard, but with ducks.

This has franchise potential.

Reynard: Die Hard as a fox.

Wellard: Die Hard as a Belgian Shepherd. 

Unchartered

A middle aged man causes havoc by practising in his industry without getting the appropriate accreditation or membership.

32 minutes ago, SMD said:

Unchartered

A middle aged man causes havoc by practising in his industry without getting the appropriate accreditation or membership.

Uncarted

Motion-controlled physics-based self-service checkout sim. Get your items scanned as quickly as possible without setting off alerts about unexpected items in bagging areas or incorrect item weights.

Uncatered

Overcooked style chaotic cooking game where you are a party host who is too cheap to get chefs in, so you have to juggle the kitchen duties (not burning the vol-au-vents for example) while also serving drinks, mingling and keeping your party guest amused in the next room.    Mess up the food, or mess up the mingling and the party goers get grumpy and go home.  You lose a level when it's just you left sobbing on the stairs, realising you should have got the catering in.

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Kabaddi Baddi

Dodgeball Academia type game where you play as a new kid in a Rishikesh school for gifted Kabaddi players. Hopwever there is a rival school who uses underhand tractics tro win the India Youth Games every single year. But this year it will be different as you and your new found friends at the school rise through the ranks to beat the baddies from the other school.  

Can it be a love story, visual-novel style, too?

1 hour ago, JamesC said:

Time for T

An 'Overcooked' style game in which you have to prepare an afternoon tea for Mr T, avoiding foolish happenings and setting up barriers and traps to prevent the admittance of fools to the venue.

The sequel would be called T for 2.

A spin-off to the successful franchise:

Air-T Far-T

Players must subdue Mr T to enable him to be flown to whichever do-gooder location the A-Team are needed. But beware, should he become alerted to your plans he'll announce that "He aint goin' on no plane with that crazy fool Murdoch!" and the game will end.

It is what it is - an existential walking simulator inside your own mind whereby you question your very own reality and perception of it. 

I actually hate the fucking phrase, but it fits here.