IGNORED

Copenhagen Cowboy - Nicolas Winding Refn

JohnC

Couldn’t finish that, really uncomfortable to watch. Got into the second episode (which felt like a long time) and it appeared everybody was told to act the same. All these pauses between dialogue, Urgh. Wasn’t for me. Think the only thing I’ve enjoyed was Drive. 

Drive is probably his worst flick. Pusher trilogy obviously the best, then Neon Demon. So if this is Pusher territory with Neon Demon / TOTDY vibes, we’re in Refn heaven.

@Grobbelboy’s right, this is a must watch.

I love Drive, been largely indifferent about most of his other films but this series was fucking incredible. No surprise Ed Brubaker was involved, his comics are equally as compelling.

7 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Drive is the worst what now

Oh I get why people like Drive, and it’s in no way a bad flick, but for me it’s only really interesting for the soundtrack and the failed heist/car chase, the rest is just filler. And Ryan Gosling is like a coat stand they stuck a jacket on.

Compared to everything else he’s done, it’s some very thin gruel indeed. I mean you could take any ten minutes of Pusher at random and it would be more interesting than Drive. And they wouldn’t even need to be consecutive minutes.

If this Maniac Cop is happening, he is only Executive Producer. It doesn't necessarily mean he has direct input, but his production company are making it. The pilot was supposed to be directed by John Hyams, who directed two latter Universal Soldier sequels. Temper expectations, if it is happening still.

I think Drive would be hugely improved if that car chase midway through the film was a lot better; it feels like the film is building up to something really incredible, but it’s a bit underwhelming. He drives backwards for a bit, and then it’s over. The getaway sequence at the start is an absolute masterpiece of tension and pace, so it’s a bit of a shame the later set piece doesn’t work as well.

For me, Valhalla Rising is his best film. I love how the trippiness and chaos just builds and builds as the film goes on. If it had the original ending he had planned, where aliens abduct One Eye at the end, it’d probably be my favourite film ever. 

I loved Too Old to Die Young too. It’d be an interesting exercise to see if you could re-edit the series to remove a lot of the loooong pauses and increase the pace; it’d be fascinating to see if you could bring out the Ed Brubaker elements a bit more and make it more like his crime comics. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of surreal, slow-burning menace the series created, but I think there’s a pacier, more exciting crime drama in there somewhere. 

• 1 month later...