IGNORED

Where is VR going?

dumpster

I just ordered the 256gb version along with the case and strap with battery 😋

Any one know if I hold off unboing it until August whether I'll qualify for the free Beat Saber offer or whether it will be done via voucher?

On 28/07/2022 at 17:27, robdood said:

Then don't get VR, basically.  Being 'in' it and moving around is part of the magic, dude! 

Strongly disagree with this, the most magical experiences I’ve had have all been cockpit based (AC7, squadrons, wipeout)

I use mine almost every day. Particularly when working from home. 

If I'm at a sticking point with work, a quick 9 holes on Walkabout or a couple of songs on Beat Saber absolutely resets my brain. It's the most convenient brain-scrubbing getaway for mental block.

I have yet to try VR, but I’ve thinking about it for ages. I would love a game like Myst in VR, and some type of space exploration game like Outer Wilds.

HL Alex doesn’t appeal to me, I don’t want a shooter. I want a world that’s so well made it’s like stepping into another dimension. 

One thing is certain, I’ll never ever buy anything connected to Facebook. 

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

HL Alex doesn’t appeal to me, I don’t want a shooter. I want a world that’s so well made it’s like stepping into another dimension. 

Skyrim VR is the game for you. 

On 28/07/2022 at 15:11, dumpster said:

I'd be very surprised to see the price increase happen.  But I've seen loads of people "finally" taking the plunge and buying one now before this supposed price increase.  Got to be marketing. After all, when has a piece of tech ever gone up in price... Ever?

Intel are going to be raising prices soon too, cost inflation is apparently not just something dreamt up by marketing/accounting.

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

I would love a game like Myst in VR

A lot of the puzzle and narrative driven games have a Myst-like quality. Though none so much as this one.

53 minutes ago, Thor said:

Skyrim VR is the game for you. 

Ive been watching Skyrim VR videos for the past 40 minutes. Looks fun!

What type of headset would you recommend for stationary gaming? I’m not interested in the most expensive ones. 

52 minutes ago, Stevie said:

What type of headset would you recommend for stationary gaming? I’m not interested in the most expensive ones.

Quest 2 with Oculus link, or a Rift S directly to PC. 

There are mods available to make the game even more immersive in VR if you want. My personal favourite is 'The Dragonborn Speaks'. It allows you to read out the lines of dialogue, with the game recognising which line you spoke, the NPCs then respond in kind. It's roughly 95% accurate. 

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have both, and for sitting down games I much prefer the Rift S. It's a comfier headset, and the wire is not an issue. 

Yeah but it's a discontinued headset.  Any problems with it and it's not getting fixed.  It was great in its day... but I wouldn't recommend anyone get one now.

as some one who has been on the VR band wagon from near the start (have had every oculus since DK2)  for me VR will be the future of gaming, IF more of the big hitters like MS and Nintendo etc... come on board properly.   

Ive played plenty of flat screen games and then played the VR version and nearly all of them the VR version cant be beat.  Take something like Alien Isolation i loved and was equally terrified of that game when i played it when it came out on 360.  I then played the MOTHER vr mod and i can tell you in belfast everyone can hear you scream when you come face to face with alan in VR!  

but its not just games - experiences and app's are also the way forward.  During lockdown my little girl had to do school projects,  first on the apollo moon landing and then on volcanoes.  Well thanks to VR i was able to put her on the seat next to neil and buzz as the blasted off, and stood beside them as then walked the moon - all as if she was there.  

for volcanoes (thanks to google earth vr) - i was able to pop her down on the top of versuvius again like she was actually there and she was able to explore and get a sense of the size etc... 

1 hour ago, Valver said:

Yeah but it's a discontinued headset.  Any problems with it and it's not getting fixed.  It was great in its day... but I wouldn't recommend anyone get one now.

True, but mine has been pretty reliable. So if anyone can get one, it's still pretty good. 

I was hyped on the prospect of VR when it first went mainstream but it never really stuck. I was wowed by some time with the PSVR (thanks @jonamok) early ish in it's cycle, bought an Oculus Go through work which was okay but never really click content wise, but without a PC to lean on I never finally made the leap myself and always felt it was constantly great "experiences" rather than gaming.

However, on Saturday, a friend wanted to give me a tour of 'current VR' via his HTC Vive Pro 2 and I was yet again blown away. During the afternoon I played/experienced:

- Google Earth VR

- Beat Saber

- Assetto Corsa (with wheel/pedals/force feedback chair)

- Half Life: Alyx

- Creed: Rise to Glory

- Blade and Sorcery

- Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

Wow, what a ride! :) 

I enjoyed all of it, but Half Life: Alyx was beyond anything I've experienced before - a proper gaming epiphany really - and it's got me all excited about VR again and back looking at the news around the PSVR2 again which would be the route I would go down.

What was interesting too was with my son's reaction. He's never tried VR but, as the guy is one of his mates Dad and they all use it, I let him have a bash and he surprised me by just 'getting it' straight away. It took about 2 minutes for him to be banging out Beat Saber levels and he's excitedly asked about when we might get it a few times today (he even got all excitable when he unlocked the PSVR on Astro's Playroom earlier). I could see a pre-order coming once the details are announced.

Anyway, to me the future of VR is stronger than I thought having been away from it for a bit. I can't see it ever replacing traditional gaming for me, but based largely on my experience with Alyx, I can easily see it becoming an extra strand of it (and of course the non-gaming app/uses).

43B9C8A4-4F08-4ACD-A77F-EA4D9D3FE52A.thumb.jpeg.9d0af29bea4675e48a7e9f0f10e6b6fb.jpeg

On 28/07/2022 at 16:36, Jarik said:

I’ve always thought more traditional 3D games could work in VR with the floating camera replaced by your VR perspective on the action, so you can feel more immersed in the world the character you’re controlling is navigating.

Moss is probably the closest to this idea I’ve seen so far.

Tethered on PSVR was an interesting (if limited) take on a god sim, where you could teleport from one fixed camera perspective to another around a tiny floating island and direct the inhabitants from different views.

Coupled with my experiences of Google Earth VR on PC, it made me think that I'd absolutely love to play a VR version of SimCity. Imagine being able to construct your city from above and fly down to walk around in it, making street-level tweaks and adjustments.

On 31/07/2022 at 02:48, Stevie said:

I have yet to try VR, but I’ve thinking about it for ages. I would love a game like Myst in VR, and some type of space exploration game like Outer Wilds.

One thing is certain, I’ll never ever buy anything connected to Facebook. 

Even though yes, it IS a shooter, if you want to step into another brilliantly realised world, Half Life is stunning. It's one of those games that constantly surprises you - you think to yourself "I wonder if I can do this"? Then you try it and it works! It's amazing. :wub:

I'm replaying Resi 4 on the Quest now and it was such a great job they did on it with regard to remapping all the controls. It's really tense too - I just got to the prison bit again (with the invisible creatures), and it's so damn nerve wracking, I can't play it for long without taking a few breaks. 

I keep thinking about how incredible it would be to walk through the Resi 1 mansion in VR, it would be so awesome on todays headsets. However, and this is not being at all sarcastic - they'd have to remove the spiders or make them optional, because I genuinely could not play it seeing those things in close up in VR. 😱

5 hours ago, CheekyMonkey said:

Even though yes, it IS a shooter, if you want to step into another brilliantly realised world, Half Life is stunning. It's one of those games that constantly surprises you - you think to yourself "I wonder if I can do this"? Then you try it and it works! It's amazing. :wub:

I'm replaying Resi 4 on the Quest now and it was such a great job they did on it with regard to remapping all the controls. It's really tense too - I just got to the prison bit again (with the invisible creatures), and it's so damn nerve wracking, I can't play it for long without taking a few breaks. 

I keep thinking about how incredible it would be to walk through the Resi 1 mansion in VR, it would be so awesome on todays headsets. However, and this is not being at all sarcastic - they'd have to remove the spiders or make them optional, because I genuinely could not play it seeing those things in close up in VR. 😱

Sounds great. Speaking of Resident Evil...I just watched RE2 remake VR on Youtube and it looks glorious. 

9 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Coupled with my experiences of Google Earth VR on PC, it made me think that I'd absolutely love to play a VR version of SimCity. Imagine being able to construct your city from above and fly down to walk around in it, making street-level tweaks and adjustments.

There are already two games like this.  Little Cities, and Cities:VR

Comparison video here:

Posting this comment has made me realise how hidden from most people VR content and games are.  My main website to read for gaming news is Eurogamer, and their VR coverage very very patchy.  You'd really only know about lots of releases, and mods and so forth if you read dedicated VR websites.  Headsets having not reached mainstream adoption, I guess VR articles therefore dont generate the sort of clicks that EG need to get lots of ad revenue.  And that in itself is a sort of catch 22.  If you dont know that VR SimCity or VR Myst even exist (and they're your sort of games) youre very unlikely to go buy a headset, and also unlikely to go read dedicated VR news outlets...

I have two headsets, a Quest and a PSVR. I don't keep up with VR news though. I barely keep up with most modern gaming news at all actually, so I'm probably not the best example for your post. :lol:

Edit: to qualify this further, I've not been paying as much attention to PC VR since the Quest 2 was released and Facebook started mandating use of their accounts. I never bought into that and still have a separate Oculus account that'll have to be converted into a "Meta" account in the near future if I want to continue using it. No thanks.

Facebook's behaviour killed a lot of my interest in PC VR, until another affordable, lightweight and widely adopted headset comes along to fill the gap in that price range that Oculus used to occupy.

Edit 2: just watched the linked video. I'm not surprised I didn't know about two games released three months ago on a platform that is dead to me now. I'm interested in SimCity games on PC VR that will work regardless of the headset, not wasting more money on an account owned by those creeps.

1 hour ago, Valver said:

Posting this comment has made me realise how hidden from most people VR content and games are.  My main website to read for gaming news is Eurogamer, and their VR coverage very very patchy.  You'd really only know about lots of releases, and mods and so forth if you read dedicated VR websites.  Headsets having not reached mainstream adoption, I guess VR articles therefore dont generate the sort of clicks that EG need to get lots of ad revenue.  And that in itself is a sort of catch 22.  If you dont know that VR SimCity or VR Myst even exist (and they're your sort of games) youre very unlikely to go buy a headset, and also unlikely to go read dedicated VR news outlets...

This is what made Facebook/Meta's aggressive push into VR so puzzling to me.  They were subsidizing the cost of the Quest Headsets to try and push their mass adoption (something they apparently can no longer do), but when they suddenly went all out on the Metaverse it surprised me as it felt too soon.  We needed another iteration or 2 of the tech that was more powerful, had a wider field of view, etc, before they could push VR in such an aggressive way.

I suspect that Facebook/Meta's PR troubles made them try to run before they could walk.

On 01/08/2022 at 07:38, Stevie said:

Sounds great. Speaking of Resident Evil...I just watched RE2 remake VR on Youtube and it looks glorious. 

I’ve played through it in vr and it’s just stunning and nerve wrecking …. And then you play resi evil 7 vr mod and that on a whole new level of nope!! (Resi evil 8 is also excellent )

On 02/08/2022 at 20:13, Stevie said:

This looks interesting 

I did about 15-20 mins on it during my Vive trial at the weekend. Entertainingly brutal, a little janky in places. I don't think I played enough to really have an opinion.