Rollerdrome - slowmo gunplay on rollerskates

SM47

Really like the look of this. Out August 16th

Looks stunning and enormously fun! I'm a sucker for games featuring ludicrous futuristic bloodsports though. I long for an xcom style tbt management game with a 1970s Rollerball style setting 

I hadn't heard of this until Chris Donlan's glowing write-up; looks and sounds really good, and it's the precise developer you'd want to make something like this. I hope it lives up to its potential!

That said, I do feel a tiny bit iffy on the mini-proliferation of games ripping off inspired by Jean Giraud's art style that has popped up (Sable being the other obvious, and far more blatant example); I mean, I appreciate he isn't around to mind, and it is a gorgeous style and exciting that it can be so well replicated in 3D, but it makes me a tiny bit uncomfortable.

• 3 weeks later...

So this is out this afternoon. Not seen any reviews yet but a good few positive previews.

Love the look of it but wary it may be another game that my sausage fingers and slow reflexes scupper any enjoyment.

44 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

Love the look of it but wary it may be another game that my sausage fingers and slow reflexes scupper any enjoyment.

There's apparently a pile of accessibility options in the game if you're suitably cack-handed, including a straight-up god mode.

It's well under a score for a new game on Steam and I love the art style, so I'm grabbing it after work.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Sitting at 80 on opencritic. Runs great on steam deck according to several outlets, barring some small text you may have to zoom in on.

I'm brassic, don't do this to me. I want to hear it runs like a dog.

39 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I'm brassic, don't do this to me. I want to hear it runs like a dog.

It does run like a dog. Unfortunately for you the dog in question is a champion winning Greyhound.

Spoiler

It’s also discounted to £16.49 (from £24.99) until 23rd August. Sorry.

50 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

My one-hour trial has 35 minutes remaining even though I’ve only just downloaded it. Now I’m worried that my account has been hacked.

It'll be a dumb piece of software rather than a clever hacker. Probably started counting the hour from the time the server saw a 'token' redeemed (at download) rather than when the game was actually started :)

1 hour ago, Treble said:

It'll be a dumb piece of software rather than a clever hacker. Probably started counting the hour from the time the server saw a 'token' redeemed (at download) rather than when the game was actually started :)

It took probably less than a minute to download and I booted it within the same minute. It only gave me 35 minutes. The sods!

16 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

It took probably less than a minute to download and I booted it within the same minute. It only gave me 35 minutes. The sods!

I only had 35 minutes too! Long enough to inevitably buy it, anyway!

It seems to be a really good year for really arcadey skill based nonsense. Neon White, this, Metal Hellsinger later in the year. I really hope this carries on because they're just the best kinds of games there are really.