Rollerdrome - slowmo gunplay on rollerskates

SM47

It's wonderfully crafted, but I'm not sure yet what to make of the skating and the controls. Still feels a bit weird, especially the skating. It doesn't always register my steering?!

Runs perfect on Steam Deck, by the way.

54 minutes ago, alex3d said:

It's wonderfully crafted, but I'm not sure yet what to make of the skating and the controls. Still feels a bit weird, especially the skating. It doesn't always register my steering?!

I know what you mean, but it's just the physics of rollerskates, I think. You've got to flow in one direction as much as possible, as turning is like a tank. I'm finding it's best to do a sweep of the arena in one direction, using the half-pipes to reverse my course. You can cheat things a bit by using the dodge button frequently instead of trying to steer away from trouble.

It's an excellent game, but it is pretty challenging. Having to do tricks to replenish ammo, working out the best use of grind (to stop falling into pits, I've found so far!) and stuff like swapping weapons on the fly is a lot to take in. It's definitely one that benefits from swapping the controller config to something that suits you best. The back pads on the Deck are fantastic for this, I find. I've assigned the grab and twist (or whetever it's called) to L4 & R4.

That said, I enjoy this more on my PC. In Ultrawide and with FOV set to 90, you can see so much more that strategising comes simpler & more effective.

3 minutes ago, Treble said:

as turning is like a tank

Yeah, that's it.

It's an excellent game, but it is pretty challenging. Having to do tricks to replenish ammo, working out the best use of grind (to stop falling into pits, I've found so far!) and stuff like swapping weapons on the fly is a lot to take in.

Yep, it certainly isn't easy. 

Will they add multiplayer to this? Seems like a perfect thing to do.

Yeah so I think maybe an hour might be long enough to get your head around the controls but this went from a "definitely take my money must buy at £16" to a more hesitant, "I want to support this kind of thing but the controls feel off" in the 35 minutes I spent with it. It just feels a bit clunky and the tricks matter a bit too much but are also really wooly. There's really just one "trick" button and you can tweak from with spins and flips so that side of things felt a bit lightweight. And you run out of ammo really quickly in the dual pistols so for me, in the early stages, rather than wanting to lengthen out my killing with cool tricks that look awesome I'm shooting, running out of ammo, pressing the trick button then rinsing and repeating. It didn't feel as fluid as the reviews said it does. 

But obviously that's only in 35 minutes of play. And I'd imagine if I did hit purchase in a week or so I'll be quoting myself and posting a "who's this idiot this game feels great" post. But in the preview they offered up it didn't feel great. So I'm more hesitant to make that purchase. 

Hmm. 

On 16/08/2022 at 15:34, ilpostino said:

SkillUp said it ran at a rock solid 60 for him

On 16/08/2022 at 16:43, Banjaxed said:

Just ordered after watching the SkillUp review. Once he said it ran at 60 on the Steam Deck my resistance crumpled.

10 hours ago, alex3d said:

13 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

This runs at locked 60 on deck so far

Yeah but why won't anyone reveal how it plays on Deck??! 

I'm not sure how or if you could improve the controls, but I do love it when you chain something nice together, like a decent trick into a continuation of a long combo, then a reflex dodge into blasting some awkward cocksucker away. It doesn't always get into that kind of flow, but when it does its very satisfying. 

I think the controls nicely balance what you’d expect from being on skates with insanely unrealistic Tony Hawk’s style madness. They feel smooth as hell. 

Edit: they did a fucking brilliant job with the UX and controls. 

7 hours ago, Junker said:

Just seen the Eurogamer Essential review and I think I’m sold on it. 

That review is too superficial for my liking. They even gave Sniper Elite 5 an essential. Not sure what's happened with Eurogamer.

Completed the first four stages so far and it's good, occasionally very good. Big problems are the trick system is too limited as BitterToad said (once you pass level 3 or 4 there are no new mechanics at all) and at some point the game just keeps on spawning enemies instead of somehow coming up with more nuanced arenas or tricks or mechanics (on top of the Slow down time - Autolock - do tricks to get ammo ones). And then it gets old really quick. 

Still, go play it.

13 hours ago, Treble said:

Yeah but why won't anyone reveal how it plays on Deck??! 

I'm not sure how or if you could improve the controls

Use the extra paddle buttons on the Steam Deck so you don't take your thumbs off the sticks! 8-)

Only been playing this over lunch breaks so I'm not that far in, but it's been good, tough skill-based fun so far. And it's essentially Jet Set Radio in the Thunderdome, so that's nice.

I love the idea of this but am struggling to get any kind of flow going. Not sure if it's one too many buttons for my brain to cope with. I also keep confusing the dodge with a trick, as the dodge feels like a flip. 

One question - I am completely confused about when to jump. This is probably because I haven't played any similar skateboarding games before. Am I right in thinking that I don't need to use X when going up the sides of the arena? If so, why do I sometimes just stop at the top. Is it a speed / momentum thing? And if so, when should I be using X - is it for the smaller ramps in the centre?

5 hours ago, alex3d said:

That review is too superficial for my liking. They even gave Sniper Elite 5 an essential. Not sure what's happened with Eurogamer.

Completed the first four stages so far and it's good, occasionally very good. Big problems are the trick system is too limited as BitterToad said (once you pass level 3 or 4 there are no new mechanics at all) and at some point the game just keeps on spawning enemies instead of somehow coming up with more nuanced arenas or tricks or mechanics (on top of the Slow down time - Autolock - do tricks to get ammo ones). And then it gets old really quick. 

Still, go play it.

Hm. Halfway through the quarters and the game does have a big problem keeping me motivated. Gamesradar call it "pile-on of difficulty, a lack of new twists" and this is starting to keep me from continuing to play. All it does is throw more and more enemies at you, while simultaneously recycling arenas and leaving you with a bunch of basic trick mechanics (most of the time I don't even bother doing tricks as grinding is so convenient and fills up ammo relatively quickly too). 

Also, there's hardly any incentive to replay missions and I actually turned off challenges requirements in the settings (thank god and the devs for this option!). The challenges just aren't any fun and feel like work (as opposed to THPS), e.g. "activate the slow down effect after doing a slug shot".

1 hour ago, Siri said:

Use the extra paddle buttons on the Steam Deck so you don't take your thumbs off the sticks! 8-)

I didn't really mean the button mapping, I meant the concepts :)

guess the devs could change RS from camera motion to tricks when aerial, with R3 committing tweaks to the tricks. You could get back camera control on landing and using the reflex/slow-mo button when in the air. I'm not sure having discrete buttons for grabs 'n stuff is the best answer. It deffo feels a bit clunky to me. 

1 hour ago, hombre_hompson said:

I love the idea of this but am struggling to get any kind of flow going. Not sure if it's one too many buttons for my brain to cope with. I also keep confusing the dodge with a trick, as the dodge feels like a flip. 

One question - I am completely confused about when to jump. This is probably because I haven't played any similar skateboarding games before. Am I right in thinking that I don't need to use X when going up the sides of the arena? If so, why do I sometimes just stop at the top. Is it a speed / momentum thing? And if so, when should I be using X - is it for the smaller ramps in the centre?

I think this is the same issue I had at first as well. If you're pressing up as you go up a quarter pipe you 'air out' or just go over the top. I noticed I kept holding up instinctively, but once Kara starts moving there's no need for it. Just steer.

Jumping is worthwhile to get extra air - hold it down as you approach then let go on the ramp. 

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Hm. Halfway through the quarters and the game does have a big problem keeping me motivated. Gamesradar call it "pile-on of difficulty, a lack of new twists" and this is starting to keep me from continuing to play. All it does is throw more and more enemies at you, while simultaneously recycling arenas and leaving you with a bunch of basic trick mechanics (most of the time I don't even bother doing tricks as grinding is so convenient and fills up ammo relatively quickly too). 

Also, there's hardly any incentive to replay missions and I actually turned off challenges requirements in the settings (thank god and the devs for this option!). The challenges just aren't any fun and feel like work (as opposed to THPS), e.g. "activate the slow down effect after doing a slug shot".

The GR review was me. I thought the campaign peaked in the middle and needed more ideas in the second half. Although push through that and finishing off the challenges or revisiting earlier levels for high-score runs is worthwhile. It gets a bit of a second wind if you get into completing runs with tighter times, longer combos and larger scores, because you have to take the specific layouts and enemy positions into account more. 

Having played a bit more of this since my excited first 35 minutes (thanks Sony), it's not as flow-y as it seemed at first. It feels more like a puzzle at times -- figuring out the most efficient way to go about your business, not on the fly but through repeated attempts.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but not what I expected! I wonder if eventually I'll hit a skill level where it feels more organic (unlikely given my aptitude).

2 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I think this is the same issue I had at first as well. If you're pressing up as you go up a quarter pipe you 'air out' or just go over the top. I noticed I kept holding up instinctively, but once Kara starts moving there's no need for it. Just steer.

Jumping is worthwhile to get extra air - hold it down as you approach then let go on the ramp. 

Ah thanks. I think I am holding the stick forward instinctively. Will try and get out of the habit. 

Can tell it’s a Roll7 game - I’ve not played any of the Olli Olli games for a while but it feels similar I think? Holding and then releasing X to jump specifically, and then the feel of jumping and spinning. 
 Really enjoyed the trial so bought it and no regrets so far. 

Well into this now. I’m still quite clumsy but every now and again I get into a good combo and it’s magic. 
 Biggest thing is remembering not to keep pressing forward as mentioned above, and I’m starting to work out which weapon is best for each enemy type 

This game is excellent. I’ve topped out at a 26 x combo so far and nearly unlocked the final tournament. This is going to end up in my GOTY list I reckon.

Runs perfectly on steam deck, too.

The only complaint is that the way things are headed this game and it’s setting will cease to be fictional by the time it is set (2030) arrives.

OK. 2 hours in and I’ve unlocked the Quarters. Starting to get to grips with the controls and timings and — where I was struggling before — am now starting to string some decent combos together. Really enjoying it.