Firsts in video games

electricmastro

I was about to ask if Shenmue was the first game to have QTE’s, but then I remembered FMV laserdisc fare like Dragon’s Lair and shit were effectively built around them. Shenmue coined the name Quick Time Event though, right? Type of feature that perhaps maybe probably got a box out in the magazine reviews and previews that I would have read at the time.

1 minute ago, Calashnikov said:

I was about to ask if Shenmue was the first game to have QTE’s, but then I remembered FMV laserdisc fare like Dragon’s Lair and shit were effectively built around them. Shenmue coined the name Quick Time Event though, right? Type of feature that perhaps maybe probably got a box out in the magazine reviews and previews that I would have read at the time.

Die Hard Arcade had them, but not sure if it was termed that.

42 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Shenmue called them Quick TimeEvents, which I didn't even realise until after the PS4 release. The wiki page for QTEs suggests King's Quest was the first game to feature QTEs.

35 minutes ago, Gotters said:

First, and I think only, game where player 2 could control a character whose sole purpose was to kick the shit out of player 1 and hamper their progress, all while player 1 was having to navigate the platforms and CPU enemy at the same time.

Take a bow the brilliant Bruce Lee (featuring Yamo) on Spectrum

85520-bruce-lee-zx-spectrum-screenshot-y

I've never understood why this hasn't become more commonplace, my sister had no interest in games as a kid but had a lot of interest in hampering my progress in them, so was willing to play this for ages.

Perfect Dark had that fun Counter Ops mode where a second player would take the place of the regular enemies in the story missions.

Just now, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Was this the first  game with speech?  or in the top ten?  

Nodes of Yesod on Spectrum with that wobbly 'Nodes of Yesod from the Odin computer graphics team' has just popped into my head without searching ?

The first video game to feature speech synthesis was the 1980 shoot 'em up arcade game, Stratovox (known in Japan as Speak & Rescue), from Sun Electronics. The first personal computer game with speech synthesis was Manbiki Shoujo (Shoplifting Girl), released in 1980 for the PET 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_synthesis#Electronic_devices

And there's earlier stuff if you're counting a Speak & Spell as a videogame. :P 

12 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Nodes of Yesod on Spectrum with that wobbly 'Nodes of Yesod from the Odin computer graphics team' has just popped into my head without searching ?

Meteor Storm from Quicksilva on the 16k Spectrum from 1982 had speech, but I'm sure there were examples before that.

1 hour ago, electricmastro said:

Could be either Fonz (1976) or Superman (1978):

aMeXBBM.jpg

EfUJhcp.jpg

Wow, I've never heard of that Fonz game!
Love the cover art on that Superman game. Shame about the game itself!
Maybe Popeye was the first licenced game that wasn't rubbish.

We did this thread a couple of years ago:

I say this not to discourage anyone from having a similar discussion, but to point out that it’s an interesting thread and worth re-reading. 

What was the first online multiplayer game, if you discount MUDs? Or the first one with non 8-bit graphics? From my recollection I'd say something like Everquest or Doom, but I'm guessing there were probably earlier MMOs with graphics before those?

6 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

What was the first online multiplayer game, if you discount MUDs? Or the first one with non 8-bit graphics? From my recollection I'd say something like Everquest or Doom, but I'm guessing there were probably earlier MMOs with graphics before those?

meridian59?

1 hour ago, K said:

We did this thread a couple of years ago:

I say this not to discourage anyone from having a similar discussion, but to point out that it’s an interesting thread and worth re-reading. 

Was that the first Rllmuk thread about where video game features first originated?

6 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Was that the first Rllmuk thread about where video game features first originated?

The first one was in 1982 on comp.groups.rllmuk, and involved a brutal, week-long argument over whether Atari Football was the first sports game, or whether Pong counted as a sport and therefore came first.

What was the first game to have the once massively unituitive but now ubiquitous dual-stick FPS controls with split move and strafe? I feel like it was Timesplitters, though I know dual controller Goldeneye is in with a shout (did it split movement across sticks?)

Being an utter shambles at Timesplitters put me off the entire genre of first person shooting. It wasn’t until I was able to play Metroid Prime Trilogy with a Wiimote (on a Wii U no less) that I was interested in playing one ever again. But now, yeah, they’re ubiquitous. Although I still haven’t quite decided if I prefer to invert both X and Y axis and probably set it up differently any time I play any first person game, shooter or otherwise. Goldeneye broke me I think.

I think the first twin-stick games were Medal of Honor, Quake II and Alien Resurrection (all on the PS1, 1999, 1999 and 2000 respectively). Goldeneye had the twin stick controls in 1997, but split over two controllers, so while it was technically first, I don't think it was the precursor to anything except repetitive strain injury.

TBH, the main takeaway from the other thread is that it's often impossible to pin down the first instance of anything. Almost everything had precursors and half-developed implementations that muddy the waters as to when something was actually done for the first time.