Firsts in video games

electricmastro

I first encountered crafting items in a demo for an MDK game, can’t remember if it was for MDK 1 or 2, and I thought it was BRILLIANT. Nowadays I’d say it would be something of a turnoff but since every game has it I just had to get on with it rather than quit a beloved lifetime hobby. Since managing that, crafting systems barely even register now. It’s just like walking right and jumping in a game by this point.

20 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Who was the originator of the eating a roast chicken off the floor that you found in a barrel/crate/postbox/bin? Final Fight?

Was surely just an iteration of Castelvania wall meat?

Atari Combat was possibly the first game ever to wrap around the screen, so if you went off the top you reappeared at the bottom.  There was a thing I'm only half remembering where years later Atari turned out to own patents on stuff that was totally commonplace but they did it first, and they went around sueing everyone for having scrolling or flick screens or this, or that.

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

What was the first online multiplayer game, if you discount MUDs? Or the first one with non 8-bit graphics? From my recollection I'd say something like Everquest or Doom, but I'm guessing there were probably earlier MMOs with graphics before those?

May be Habitat (1985) for the Commodore 64:

4 hours ago, K said:

The first one was in 1982 on comp.groups.rllmuk, and involved a brutal, week-long argument over whether Atari Football was the first sports game, or whether Pong counted as a sport and therefore came first.

Harrumph! You don't win in tennis if the ball goes behind you... /Stillbitter

5 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

What was the first game to have the once massively unituitive but now ubiquitous dual-stick FPS controls with split move and strafe? I feel like it was Timesplitters, though I know dual controller Goldeneye is in with a shout (did it split movement across sticks?)

There's Gun Buster, from 1992:

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Gotters said:

First person 3d survival horror, why that'll be the humble ZX81 & JK Greye Software back in 1981 with this beaut - 3D Monster Maze.

3D-monster-maze-T-rex-2-steps-away.png

Interestingly it runs at exactly the same frame rate as most PS5 4k titles do on their launch day.

Run, he is right behind you.

2 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

I assume Rogue was the first roguelike.

Ah well I was wrong the first roguelike was Beneath Apple Manor according to wiki which predated Rogue by two years. Or maybe that means Rogue was the first roguelike after all.

18 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Ah well I was wrong the first roguelike was Beneath Apple Manor according to wiki which predated Rogue by two years. Or maybe that means Rogue was the first roguelike after all.

Beneath Apple Manor was a top-down free-roaming 1978 RPG with procedural generation, which was pretty unprecedented at the time.

WrFDu1a.jpg

gExftI0.png

Ok so Beneath Apple Manor was the first commercially available top down RPG with procedural generation; Hack was the first roguelike afaict being that it was the first such game released commercially after Rogue, preceding Moria by a year (according to the wiki).

And Rogue isn't first for anything.

37 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Ok so Beneath Apple Manor was the first commercially available top down RPG with procedural generation; Hack was the first roguelike afaict being that it was the first such game released commercially after Rogue, preceding Moria by a year (according to the wiki).

And Rogue isn't first for anything.

It might have been the first mass-ported roguelike of its kind. I don't think that roguelikes often make it that far.

oQh0YYC.png

9 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Who was the originator of the eating a roast chicken off the floor that you found in a barrel/crate/postbox/bin? Final Fight?

This is the sort of thing I miss in a lot of modern video games. I’m not interested in replication of the real world, I want to punch a barrel and have a whole roast chicken pop out. Or randomly some cherries to just appear in the middle of nowhere. Or a bell. Not enough bells in today’s video games.

On 29/07/2022 at 13:59, K said:

I think the first twin-stick games were Medal of Honor, Quake II and Alien Resurrection (all on the PS1, 1999, 1999 and 2000 respectively).

Vindicators in the arcade was twin stick over a decade earlier. And Robotron did it in 1982 but IIRC was digital not analogue.

On 29/07/2022 at 19:26, Corrogate said:

Which game first allowed you to rewind time, frame-by-frame? It's been in Prince Of Persia, Viewtiful Joe, Racerdriver: GRID.

Time Traveller in the arcade? Can’t remember if you could choose how long to rewind for, though.

On 29/07/2022 at 08:59, K said:

I think the first twin-stick games were Medal of Honor, Quake II and Alien Resurrection (all on the PS1, 1999, 1999 and 2000 respectively). Goldeneye had the twin stick controls in 1997, but split over two controllers, so while it was technically first, I don't think it was the precursor to anything except repetitive strain injury.

Earliest twin-stick game I could find in general was Tank, from 1974.

5iCyRIe.jpg

On 29/07/2022 at 06:39, JamesC said:

Wow, I've never heard of that Fonz game!
Love the cover art on that Superman game. Shame about the game itself!
Maybe Popeye was the first licenced game that wasn't rubbish.

The Fonz game is a licensed conversion of one of Sega's prior games I believe, Moto-Cross. In terms of unlicensed games, there's also Star Trek from 1971 and Shark Jaws from 1975.

Rau5Pf3.png

eKfrKDs.jpg