Show how games have evolved, with 3 games, 20 years apart

Benny

I do enjoy the 'I'd rather play Manic Miner over any AAA studio game today' comments.

It may well be true but it's the gaming forum equivalent of old people watching Are You Being Served and Alf Garnett on Gold because 'there just aren't any jokes & all they do is swear in so called comedies nowadays'

Hot Wheels

Hot Wheels - Commodore 64 1985

hot-wheels_8.png

Hot Wheels World Race - PlayStation 2 - 2003 (think this is a PC capture)

hot-wheels-world-race_4.webp

Hot Wheels Forza Horizon 5 - Xbox - 2022

massive_FH_5_Hot_Wheels_Expansion_02_16x

Just now, Gotters said:

I do enjoy the 'I'd rather play Manic Miner over any AAA studio game today' comments.

It may well be true but it's the gaming forum equivalent of old people watching Are You Being Served and Alf Garnett on Gold because there just aren't any jokes in 'so called comedies nowadays'

Agreed. Our group of friends have a retro night gathering where we play games at random - while a fair unknown titles to us were pleasantly fun to play (shoutouts to games like Ganryu and Asuka 120%), there's... A LOT of dogshit out there.

You ever play The Brainies? I almost gave the group an aneurysm from being inexplicably okay at the game and going on for half an hour on that bullshit, myself included

JRPGs! And I've been a little liberal with the date gaps.....

Final Fantasy - 1987

image.png.b26dc5e02f562eb563b53d8cf6f8228b.png

Persona 3 - 2006. One of my favourite ever games, and the one that got me into JRPGS. Gone are the fantasy setting and intriducing slice of life mechanics as well as multiple endings. Might not have been the first to do these, but it nailed it.

image.png.e299892d6b5df87c26a13d0fcdacce42.png

Dragon Quest 11 S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition - 2019 - A distillation of all that is great about JRPGs. With the option to switch to 2D graphics too! Accessible to newcomers, loads of depth for veterans. Just perfect

image.png.57584cf178898f13f10f169512d1f602.png

image.png.4e189a5106ccce696b7b655d81a2151c.png

Concept: spooky abandoned colonies on Mars

1985: 

marsport-zx-spectrum-wide.png?w=1038&h=5

Marsport (ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC)

2004:

588281-469881_20040804_003.jpg

Doom 3 (PC)

2022:

Deliver-Us-Mars-6.jpg

Deliver Us Mars (various)

17 hours ago, Benny said:

I love how little all 6 screenshots of Football make it look like videogames have actually evolved.

Both the 1995 FIFa and ISS Deluxe look and IMHO play better than most recent versions. Been playing both recently.

I always thought 16-bit FIFA was ropey to play, as an outsider who just dipped in now and again.

Although I was decidedly more a fan of the golden trifecta of mass-produced world cup games - World Cup Italia 90, Tecmo World Cup 90 and Nintendo World Cup. All bangers.

Stealing other countries stuff (historically)

Sid meier's pirates (1987)

image.png.7fda262f6e82e3ac56e1a361feaab37c.png

Total war: Rome (2004)

image.thumb.png.5a78807cfa58316eb264b273d1e3ca75.png

Crusader Kings III (2021)

image.thumb.png.12cab6f229d4a5af26805093a878b8b0.png

I was going to do all civ / sid meier but thought the variation was better really, even if it was more for the concept gag :P

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

The thing about Paradox historical strategy games is it took them about 20 years just to update their interface.

Well yeah, the whole genre aren't exactly graphics power houses in that sense and arguably the changes happened so gradually. I remember the absolute knickers- in-a- twist that happened when Civ changed to hexes but that was civ 3 to 4 or something and then they stayed like that for donkeys. 

It was colonisation that made me think to do it but that was in 1994 apparently and then the multi years gap rule wouldn't have worked and obviously couldn't have that. 

Concept: Ninja Turtles

B7yCK74.png

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) - 1989

sq5QdqD.png

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Mutant Nightmare (GC/PS2/Xbox) - 2005

cZ9DDtb.png

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (Switch/Xbox One/PS4) - 2022

OK so a bit out on the gaps - 16 years then 17. 

Concept - Nintendo Turtles

XwJlofP.png

Mario Bros (Arcades) - 1983

He9FANM.png

Super Smash Bros Melee (GC) - 2001

xz2LT9Y.png

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 2020 

Cheating a little, because I need videos for this.

Voice acting/spoken words/cut scenes.

Impossible Mission

C64 - 1984

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

PS2 - 2002

The Last of Us: Part II

PS5 - 2021

There's is a particular concept in games that I've thought about a fair bit, but have never quite gotten around to writing a (necessarily lengthy) essay about, as the scope is massive. However, picking out three games, each a full childhood-to-sort-of-adult's span apart, attempting to do said concept justice in their own way? Now that I can do.

What if knock-off Lord of the Rings, but game:

1739792714_LordsofMidnight.jpg.5577ada185f926b3353af4d38b1bf4dc.jpg

Lords of Midnight (1984)

Let us be inspired by Lord of the Rings by having the player draw together an unlikely alliance of forces via diplomacy in order to fight, hold-off and distract a powerful enemy force, all the while undertaking a surreptitious task to defeat the enemy by destroying the source of his power, far behind enemy lines. Victory can be won through battle; through destroying the source of power; or, ideally, both.

Fire-Emblem-Hector.gif.333ea278f8ab1ea6e74439e0755ccfb7.gif

Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade (2003)

Let us be inspired by Lord of the Rings by having an epic war story take place across a fictional continent, carried out by sympathetic but confused nations who must work their way through their mutual conflicts to confront the real evil behind it all. For added pathos, every unit in the game will be named, will be able to develop relationships with other characters that they fight alongsides, and if they die they die forever. We definitely won't gradually ruin this series over the decades by adapting it into a creepy dating sim wearing an SRPG mask.

316621470_EldenRingLandscape.thumb.jpg.3d12ba211fd027ab65174d75aace0caf.jpg

Elden Ring (2022)

Let us be inspired by Lord of the Rings by the fact that when I first read the books I didn't really comprehend English all that well, so I got a confused, beguiling story filled with evocative concepts that I had to pull together on my own. In turn, I shall have my players experience this same delight of exploring and coming to understand a fantasy world through scattered moments of lucidity.