Rise and Fall of Grey Import gaming

bplus

17 hours ago, merman said:

Here’s my first article for the site - best C64 games:

https://www.timeextension.com/guides/best-commodore-c64-games

Note this was was limited to the commercial era (1982-1994) and concentrated in the big names and most influential titles.

That's a great article :) did a double take on skara brae in bard's tale "wtf I was supposed to go there this summer but one of the ferries to Orkney broke and there was no tickets left for the other one." Had to Google skara brae bard's tale and discover that yes it's named after the one in Orkney!

The stuff about turrican I didn't know either, specifically the developer ripped of another game .

There were a few places in NI, that I used to get MD ‘grey’ imports (around 1990-91 I think - Megamania/model shop/Strand games and you would get the odd Jpn SFC/MD game in Smithfield market. I also remember importing them from Colin Diamond (can’t remember his store name) / CA games / next gen (perhaps a bit later) and Jpn ps1 / saturn games from CEX!

those where the days! You had a collection of about 3 or 4 games because they were so expensive! I used to really love the MD Jpn imports - if only I had kept them as I had all the really expensive ones nowadays, like Twinkle Tale, gleylancer, steel empire, and bare knuckle 3.

6 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

There were a few places in NI, that I used to get MD ‘grey’ imports (around 1990-91 I think - Megamania/model shop/Strand games and you would get the odd Jpn SFC/MD game in Smithfield market. I also remember importing them from Colin Diamond (can’t remember his store name) / CA games / next gen (perhaps a bit later) and Jpn ps1 / saturn games from CEX!

those where the days! You had a collection of about 3 or 4 games because they were so expensive! I used to really love the MD Jpn imports - if only I had kept them as I had all the really expensive ones nowadays, like Twinkle Tale, gleylancer, steel empire, and bare knuckle 3.

Model shop, oh man that brings back memories.

Smithfield, I traded my UK N64 for a Hong Kong one in there.

Few video rental places round Belfast were stuffed with jap imports of snes and megadrive imports too.