Obscure arcade games (which are worth playing)

Failed to find an existing thread on this (and literally never start threads) so....

I often aimlessly browse Mame and always come back to the same old favourites. It'd be great to find some new (old) things to play for a change without having to play Arcade Russian Roulette.

What are folks recommendations for obscure, lesser known arcade games (from any era) which are worth a play? This could be because they are great games or just more of an interesting curiosity?

This is very much inspired by a recent retro gamer article which led me to Uncle Poo, a very entertaining little game where you use the power of farts to defeat bad guys.

https://www.gamesdatabase.org/game/arcade/uncle-poo

And a game called Juno First which got a mention here: 

Juno First seems brilliant! It's like a mash-up of defender, Galaxians, Robotron and Tempest. I'll definitely be dipping into it again.

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8261

Psycho-Nics Oscar

If you have not heard of this one, it’s the game that served as a big inspiration for Manfred Trenz when he created Turrican. (And if you look at Mega/Super Turrican there are even more similarities).

161_2.png

Is B. Rap Boys obscure? I think I mentioned it in our Recommended Games thread, but it’s a scrolling fighter with autoscroller skating/fighting bits and some banging snippets of hip hop courtesy of Three Stories High:

This was slightly obscure back in the day as I only ever saw it in one arcade (and I went in a lot of arcades).

It was brought into the spotlight by being part of a Capcom arcade collection.

A fantastic side scrolling shooter.

17 hours ago, watusi said:

Not sure how obscure this one really is but Osman - unofficial sequel to Strider released in 1996. Hard as nails.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/osman/

If there's one forgotten arcade game that needed a home port this would be it! Seems there was talk of doing just that in 2014, but unfortunately nothing ever came from it. Mitchell were such an underappreciated developer, and PopCap will be forever cunts for ripping off Puzz Loop.

But then again they stole the idea for Pang! from Hudson Soft. Swings and roundabouts maybe.

14 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

1990 Konami did a Shinobi in space which I enjoyed, Surprise Attack.

I really like this, especially once you get past the first boss and it changes things up.

10 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

If there's one forgotten arcade game that needed a home port this would be it! Seems there was talk of doing just that in 2014, but unfortunately nothing ever came from it. Mitchell were such an underappreciated developer, and PopCap will be forever cunts for ripping off Puzz Loop.

But then again they stole the idea for Pang! from Hudson Soft. Swings and roundabouts maybe.

Googled this, hadn't heard about it. Did they ever try to sue?

On 11/08/2022 at 11:53, Yobo Ahoy said:

I've no idea if this counts as obscure but I'd definitely never heard of it; a shooter/run and gun called Boogie Wings. Completely batshit mental (think Parodius) but great fun to play. It even has a Christmas level! 

Http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/boogie-wings

http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.com/2011/09/boogie-wings.html?m=1

spacer.png

I'd never heard of this but this game is brilliant, its absolutely batshit mental and great fun to play!

I've got two for you and forgive the lack of pics cos I'm steaming and it would all go wrong. 

Bagman. 

No idea who made this Arcade game.  But it's cracking. The risk reward of pushing a full barrow, knowing getting caught earns you fuck all.  Try again.  Genius. 

Flashgal 

Your an Ersatz Wonder woman.  You ride bikes, jetski's and engage in hand to hand combat. Shits crazy. I spent a fortune on it. (£3.40) 

One of my faves is The Speed Rumbler.  It's not that obscure because it was in one of the PS2 Capcom classic packs - but I dont know many people who've actually played it.

Its sort of Mad Max-esque...

A couple of Sega ones I loved:

Title fight which had a great dual-stick control scheme and allowed two player head to head matches.

Also Hot Rod, which was in the same vein as Super Sprint or Off Road but with longer tracks. The four player cabinet was fantastic.

1686880-titlefight_cabinet.jpg.985be7a624bd472b389d7a7f4b81682a.jpg

hotrod.thumb.jpg.5f1bd7bc27ee24840248e1c57b10de3a.jpg

2 hours ago, Valver said:

One of my faves is The Speed Rumbler.  It's not that obscure because it was in one of the PS2 Capcom classic packs - but I dont know many people who've actually played it.

Its sort of Mad Max-esque...

I have been trying to find this game for about two decades.  I remember it at some Haven holiday park, distinctly remember the round peach bullets and bailing out the car.

You try finding something based off that.  Now I finally know the name of it.  My life is now complete, damn near 20 years of searching and thinking I’d somehow made it up as a kid.  I’m not insane, it does exist.  Thank you for posting this.

Only other thing I remember is the Toki cab next to it.  Of course I remember that one.

Wild Riders from SEGA it's like Hang On got crossed with Crazy Taxi and a comic book. Really wish this had been ported to the Dreamcast, but sadly I'm not sure it even got a release outside of Japan. It's not a big game, but looks aces and is a wild rider while it lasts.

On 13/08/2022 at 12:12, Couch Corpse said:

Plotting and Puzznic.

Had no idea these were arcade games! I’ve only ever played the home versions.