Obscure arcade games (which are worth playing)

4 hours ago, Camel said:

I think its obscurity depends on whether MarkN has seen it or not :D

Seriously, I imagine Flicky arcade cabinets were fairly scarce, but as soon as something is ported to the biggest console at the time, appears on a compilation on the same console and is later on every set of that console’s games on new platforms, is it obscure?

Having said all that, I think a port can also be obscure. eg, Juno First is a pretty obscure game with obscure home micro ports (it’s also really really good). Gottlieb’s Reactor (again, a good game) had a version on the Atari 2600 but still feels obscure to me. It’s pretty subjective though.

Is Boot Hill obscure? I’ve seen (and played) that in a few arcades in my time.

I never had a console until the Playstation came along. As I say, the arcades I frequented were ace. We had a Juno First in there. (I didn't mention Boot Hill or Time Pilot to be obscure - it's just why I went over to that one ocassionally). Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I've spent forty years as a gamer, I've been into arcade emulation since it started pretty much, but when I was told about Flicky it was a complete surprise.

I'm listing it alongside Outfoxies. That's how obscure I think it is. Obviously I'm wrong if it's the household name you think it is.

Or maybe there’s an area that lies between total obscurity and household name? Maybe one that’s affected by personal experience?

Wish I’d played Juno First back in the day. I came to it via MAME although I have played a cabinet since.

16 minutes ago, Camel said:

Or maybe there’s an area that lies between total obscurity and household name? Maybe one that’s affected by personal experience?

Wish I’d played Juno First back in the day. I came to it via MAME although I have played a cabinet since.

Agreed. And the reason I've defended myself here is because I listied something I think is obscure, and think other people would really like to know about, because it's ace, and I found it really late. And you called me out for it. I was just trying to share something brilliant.

I didn’t call you out on it. It’s an interesting discussion, there’s no need to be so angry about it.

To me, Juno First is obscure. Sounds like it’s not at all to you. That doesn’t mean you’re calling me out on it. It’s all gravy.

5 hours ago, Camel said:

I think its obscurity depends on whether MarkN has seen it or not :D

This isn't calling me out? I'll leave it here, thanks. Cannot be bothered.

Also, Exerion. Lovely floaty control method.

Probably common as muck, but I loved it back in the day.

51 minutes ago, Camel said:

I didn’t call you out on it. It’s an interesting discussion, there’s no need to be so angry about it.

To me, Juno First is obscure. Sounds like it’s not at all to you. That doesn’t mean you’re calling me out on it. It’s all gravy.

I’d call Juno First obscure… Didn’t hear about it until 1995, 1996, when I discovered early retro gaming content (fanzines, websites, etc). Maybe that’s more to do with my age, and I guess to even younger people than me, even something like Galaga or Scramble would be considered obscure.

7 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Wardner is one I never see mentioned. Lovely little platformer. I don’t know if it’s obscure or not really, but I only ever saw it in one arcade as a kid. 

Great game. A Toaplan classic. Aka Pyros. Is on the M2 release of Same Same Same. 

3 hours ago, Camel said:

Nope, just some gentle ribbing, but I apologise if it caused offence.

It wasn't. I'm on the  receiving end. I get to call it what it is, not you.

I'm gonna fuck off from the iinternet for another month maybe. I've only just got back. But people are such cunts its easier to just not bother. Thanks for making this decision for me.

I’m wonder how many rllmuk folk have played Vectorbeam’s 1979 Warriors arcade cabinet?  I played it in the early 80’s in an arcade in Seattle and I loved it.  According to Wikipedia the internals were really unreliable and there’s only one working cab left in the UK.

2 hours ago, MarkN said:

It wasn't. I'm on the  receiving end. I get to call it what it is, not you.

I'm gonna fuck off from the iinternet for another month maybe. I've only just got back. But people are such cunts its easier to just not bother. Thanks for making this decision for me.

This would apply to lots of places but not the Rllmuk Retro section.

On 06/08/2022 at 08:52, watusi said:

Not sure how obscure this one really is but Osman - unofficial sequel to Strider released in 1996. Hard as nails.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/osman/

And what a coincidence -believe it or not- this is actually getting a home release after over a quarter of a century spent in arcade obscurity!!

@strider should be over the moon!!

Osman, arcade action platformer from 1996, returning on Switch.

Osman – known as Cannon-Dancer in Japan – is a side-scrolling action platformer made by Mitchell Corporation and was worked on by former members of Capcom. After debuting in arcades, that’s where the game has stayed since.

ININ Games should be making an official announcement about the Switch version of Osman soon. Meanwhile, those attending TGS next month will be able to go hands-on with the title.

giphy.gif

I think that when I was younger I had never heard of Flicky, and it was only until the rise of the internet, retro-themed publications (RG and bits of the old Edge) and maybe some compilations for modern consoles that I knew about it. So it's probably not obscure to your average internet guy, but everyone else may struggle to recall it.

Wasnt there a Flicky crossover with Sonic the Hedgehog?  The little animals you released from the enemies and at the end of levels were called Flickies.

Great game like. They have it at AC Bury. 

1 hour ago, geldra said:

Wasnt there a Flicky crossover with Sonic the Hedgehog?  The little animals you released from the enemies and at the end of levels were called Flickies.

Great game like. They have it at AC Bury. 

Sonic 3D is titled Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island in EU and Japan.

In Flicky itself, the little birds are called Piopio.