Sony and their PC plans

bear

Since the release of the PC version of Spider-Man a few days ago people have been pulling the game apart so they can create horrifying mods find out more about what Sony has planned for their future releasing PC games. 

So far there has been some evidence found that Sony may be planning to add some form of PSN integration into their PC titles 

VGC Story here.

Since its release on PC last week, fans have been digging through the game files of PlayStation’s latest port, Marvel’s Spider-Man, and discovered references to PlayStation Network integration within its code.

According to the game files – which have been viewed by VGC – Sony could be planning to allow PC players to link their PlayStation Network accounts to specific games and offer in-game bonuses as a reward for doing so.

Today there is a story saying that references have been found to a Playstation Launcher. 

References to a “PlayStation PC launcher” have been found within the files of Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, which launched on PC last week, suggesting that such a platform could be in Sony’s future plans.

Link

Now obviously companies change their plans all the time so this a might end up being nothing but it seems like Sony are at the very least going to try and get their PC customers to have some form of PSN account. The launcher stuff is interesting as it raises the possibility that they might also launch their own PC store. Its hard to see them being foolish enough to try and present themselves as a competitor to Steam but they have a strong enough set of games that they might gain some foothold by keeping their PC titles as timed PlayStation Store exclusives. People are crying out for a PC version of Demons Souls and Bloodborne or instance so I don't think it'd be outrageous to think that people might use a PlayStation PC Store to play those games six months before they show up on Steam. 

So, what do you think Sonys plans are for their PC offerings? 

Maybe this conversation is already happening in the Spider-Man thread, I haven't looked.

I already have a PSN account so it's no biggie.

Just don't make me have to download and install another storefront/dashboard/client to go with Steam, Epic, Origin, Uplay, Prime Gaming and the rest of them. If I can log in to the PSN website and download a game from my purchase history, that would be nice. Make your “PlayStation PC launcher” an invisible authentication check before the game starts if you have to.

(E: This is when someone mentions GOG Galaxy isn't it. Oops.)

All I know for sure is Sony definitely has bigger plans. They bought Nixxes Software in 2021 whom are famous for their excellent PC ports of the latest Tomb Raider trilogy and very recently delivered Spider-man PC port. More great PC ports incoming is a 100% guarantee.

Nixxes is just one studio though. As good as they are, I doubt they can handle several high profile projects at once. Who was responsible for the Horizon port, was that Guerrilla themselves?

Not a fan - pretty much every PC launcher caters to just Windows, and as a result Linux-based systems (and by extension, the Steam Deck) are left holding the bag.

Proton would still probably run it as none of the games would be something extremely limited to translate like UWP, but you usually lose out on shader preloading and Steam Input.

There's also considerations like a universal returns policy and actual pricing competition via the distribution of product keys, but those aspects aren't just limited to an OS and can be dealt with through proper policy if a company isn't run by dickheads.

If it's just a way of verifying the purchase like how newer EA games handle things, fair enough, but it's still online DRM that I really don't care for - it's another thing that gets in the way of playing the fucking game, and as a result I'll probably end up not buying the game in the first place, especially if you're charging full whack for something that's a year old and is being sold for pennies at CEX.

1 minute ago, Benny said:

Until they announce Bloodborne and Returnal for PC Sony are dead to me.

I thought Returnal was down for PC? 

I might have imagined this though. 

To be honest, I suspect Sony's plans are to make gullible idiots like me double-dip constantly...

They've won :(

1 hour ago, df0 said:

All I know for sure is Sony definitely has bigger plans. They bought Nixxes Software in 2021 whom are famous for their excellent PC ports of the latest Tomb Raider trilogy and very recently delivered Spider-man PC port. More great PC ports incoming is a 100% guarantee.

Nixxes is just one studio though. As good as they are, I doubt they can handle several high profile projects at once. Who was responsible for the Horizon port, was that Guerrilla themselves?

Virtuos. They also do art asset production for both Horizons.

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-performance-analysis/

I'm all for more PC ports of Sony exclusives.  Seems like what they've released so far has been really high quality - more of that please!

But - I still dont *trust* Sony in the PC space.  I had experience of their "rootkit" debacle:  

https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2021/12/that-one-time-sony-secretly-installed-rootkit-software-on-hundreds-of-thousands-of-computers/ 

And I have hated working on my families Sony Vaio laptops - from the factory the were riddled with needless and proprietary software cruft.  I always said buy a Dell, and they never listened.  

So a dedicated games launcher and store, and no doubt a load of DRM to go with it, no thanks.

It all sounds pretty standard, basically every publisher has their own PC store and a service log-in for their games (which are also on Steam), presumably so they can measure how many users they've got logged in and playing for engagement.

Ghost of Tsushima and Ratchet and Clank feel like the only relatively recent Sony franchises that haven't had a port announced yet.

Even with GOG Galaxy, I do get a bit tired of all these launcher front ends. You still have to be signed into them and it still decides to periodically sign you out which means faffing around with password managers and authentication apps, then Galaxy might lose connection with a service as well and need redoing... sigh.

26 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

It all sounds pretty standard, basically every publisher has their own PC store and a service log-in for their games (which are also on Steam), presumably for some sort of engagement measurement.

Ghost of Tsushima and Ratchet and Clank feel like the only relatively recent Sony franchises that haven't had a port announced yet.

I don't think GT has been announced yet but that feels inevitable. 

Its not that recent but Dreams seems like it could do well on PC. Its one of those games that's easy to forget about but occasionally bubbles back up because someone has done something wild with the tools.

A PC version, maybe even with support for PSVR2, could be very cool. 

Putting PSN on PC feels like another step towards the multiplayer paywall going away. Its already silly but if PC gamers can use PSN and Xbox Live to play online without having to pay for it then the requirement for Plus and Gold just looks even more ridiculous.

19 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Saw the mod that takes out all the Pride flags in Spider-Man. Confirmed, PC gamers ruin everything.

yea, "gamers" are shit, no matter what platform.

on the other hand

On 16/08/2022 at 16:03, milko said:

Even with GOG Galaxy, I do get a bit tired of all these launcher front ends. You still have to be signed into them and it still decides to periodically sign you out which means faffing around with password managers and authentication apps, then Galaxy might lose connection with a service as well and need redoing... sigh.

Going OT a bit here, but do you use a VPN? I had trouble with Galaxy doing this for ages until I realised that I basically had to make sure no connected launchers had processes running while my VPN was active. Galaxy seems to lose them straight away if your IP address changes as far as any of them are concerned.

Installing another launcher vs. having to spend a few hundred on a console for the handful of exclusives I care about though.. Yeah, I'll happily take the launcher thanks. Hell, I'll take the rootkit if I get 60+ FPS Bloodborne into the bargain.

25 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

That mod received an unequivocal 'fuck off' from Nexus Mod and ModDB. There's been positive mods in response, so it's not all horrible.

https://www.eurogamer.net/anti-pride-spider-man-remastered-mod-removed

Lol good on them. In the Miles Morales thread here there was a chap moaning about the BLMness of it all. Perhaps it was him.

At least no one has modded the Spider-man clone into the game yet. That’ll be the pinnacle of evil.

I'm guessing that Sony porting their games to PC is their solution to getting PS5 games on streaming rather than making the same mistake they did with PS3 streaming.