Lode Runner...for the Atari 2600!

Just read about this amazing looking port here https://forums.atariage.com/topic/339630-lode-runner™-for-atari-2600/?

n the coming weeks, I’ll be updating this post with:

-A short video of the gameplay

-A playable, 3-level demo ROM - premiering on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch stream

-A short story on how this game was created. Lots of stuff to tell, like:

-How things kicked off after a private 10-minute crash course on CDFJ by John Champeau at the 2019 Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

-How I got inspired by an old mockup image shared by user ZylonBane in a forum post, which showed that Lode Runner™ should - at least graphically - be possible on an Atari 2600.

-How I adapted the original 150 levels into a 20x15 play area, as opposed to the standard 28x16. And how my team of beta testers helped with making these levels actually playable 

-How the source code of the guards’ quirky AI pathfinding algorithm was shared in a Japanese textbook from 1988, titled “Learning Practical C Language by Source Program of Lode Runner”.

-How Thomas Jentzsch helped me to compress the tilemaps for 150 levels into 11kB! 

-How I got rid of "Lives" and "Game Over" and replaced it with modern gameplay design practices: unlockable levels and a bonus timer.

image.png.616f477095269a21af3d29b4df6b91

image.png.4e8c07a37e743fd5c3645b16853241

More at the link.

2 hours ago, merman said:

Looks impressive. Will be interesting to know if there’s any extra hardware/tricks involved or running on a stock cart.

The clues is in the CDFJ reference. John Champeau is literally the champion of this stuff, he of the 10 minute 'crash course' for this game's programmer.

I think this stuff is legit, if you can put it in a cart and get it to run on stock hardware then it's fair game in my book.