Oliver Frey has passed.

Very sad news. He was a genuine legend from the era. His art was the epitome of the cool, fantastical side of 80's home computing, an unmistakable energy about it. Rest in peace sir, you'll be remembered for many, many years to come.

Very sad news for this former Crash reader. I was showing some of his art to a friend at the Replay expo years ago and said something to the effect of "can you believe they used to put this on the front of magazines?" When I looked up I saw the man himself giving us a knowing smile!

His artwork for Crash was my main exposure, but he really put the fantasy aspect into gaming (like having a Spectrum rubber keyboard as a spaceship on one of the covers). Gave the magazine (and Zzap) such a distinctive, alluring style that still look great today.

I loved Oli’s artwork in ZZAP! growing up, and was honoured to have Oli draw me as a reviewer for the recent ZZAP! Annuals and the revived magazines. Best of all was the chance to meet and talk to him. He was a talented and kind person, and so sad to hear of his passing.

Very sad. Along with Carlos Ezquerra (sadly, also passed) Oliver Frey pretty much illustrated my childhood. I used to gaze at those Crash Magazine covers for hours... they were so detailed.

I've just read the news.  It's very sad.  Those Zzap! 64 covers are burned into my brain.  

They were exciting, transgressive, violent and sometimes a bit sexy.  Industry scuttlebutt is that he'd always try to sneak a penis into each cover he did.

Thanks Mr. Frey!

I heard the news earlier. 

Besides the Zzap and Crash covers, he also illustrated the Hamlyn Book of Horror.

500A469C-68E0-480A-AC1F-C938194B453B.jpeg.0609bb30776c9e9f284c7682744519bb.jpeg

I spent hours and hours poring over the illustrations as a kid. I was a bit obsessed with it.

19 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I heard the news earlier. 

Besides the Zzap and Crash covers, he also illustrated the Hamlyn Book of Horror.

500A469C-68E0-480A-AC1F-C938194B453B.jpeg.0609bb30776c9e9f284c7682744519bb.jpeg

I spent hours and hours poring over the illustrations as a kid. I was a bit obsessed with it.

I had no idea he also illustrated this!

1 minute ago, Monkeyspill said:

He was really prolific. He must have been knocking out illustrations in the 70s and 80s. They were all quality too.

I guess as a kid I always thought of him as the house artist for Newsfield and that was his job and that was that. 

I had no concept of folk working outside of the job I knew them for! 

In case anyone doesn't know (I only found out relatively recently), do an image search for his name to see what he was best known for outside of the world of UK games mag publishing. 

But probably don't if you're at work ...

Brilliant that such a subversive artist played such an important role in defining the aesthetic of our little hobby. 

7 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

In case anyone doesn't know (I only found out relatively recently), do an image search for his name to see what he was best known for outside of the world of UK games mag publishing. 

But probably don't if you're at work ...

Brilliant that such a subversive artist played such an important role in defining the aesthetic of our little hobby. 

I only found that out yesterday, though in the Zzap/Crash era it’s no surprise that they needed to keep separation between magazine art aimed at teenagers and his gay lifestyle work. Nice to see that he was in such high demand there as well. 

https://www.zack-art.com

Anyway, like most of the rest of us, Oli’s illustrations were definitely a big part of my childhood and still look amazing today. It’s a shame he is no longer with us, but he achieved so much. 

Gah this is sad to read.

Frey played a massive part in defining the excitement and energy of the British home micro gaming scene. His images drew you in and completely immersed you. We'd never seen magazine covers like that before, they were incredibly bold, powerful and progressive, sometimes genuinely shocking. Modern pop at for the times. His details and compositions were insane and went beyond anything we'd previously seen. Going into W. H. Smiths and seeing one of Frey's latest airbrushed masterpieces on the shelves was as exciting as the games themselves.

A fond farewell to a truly innovative and brave image maker.

FasYP5GVEAA2Lfe?format=jpg&name=900x900FasZRKSUEAAdFF_?format=jpg&name=900x900

Terribly sad news, he created such an indentity for the Newsfield publications - not only a house style, but a quality which made other magazines look embarrassing with their covers. Wasn’t just the covers for me - it was all the little stuff inside, the accompanying line illustrations to reviews which really fired the imagination where you had to use a lot of imagination to fill in the blanks of the graphics! Especially when his illustrations accompanied the adventure columns…I have a particular memory of a cracking illustration he did of a crippled space ship and as astronaut jetting towards it, even though the text adventure was so so reviewed. On top of this all the little reviewers illustrations etc.

I’m still gutted that in all these years he never finished the sequel to The Terminal Man, I always wanted to know who the Lightgivers were…

The covers were amazing of course but I used to love his maps as well. So many little details in them that really brought the games to life. His beautiful Dun Darach map is imprinted on my memory from many, many hours spent trying to complete that game.

R.jpg

22 hours ago, FishyFish said:

The Christmas covers of Crash and Zzap64! we're always a particular treat (as well as the fact that it meant a bumper double-issue!).

RIP

What great times.

RIP - thanks for the memories.