Games that seem to have passed the forum by - sing their praises here!

Captain Kelsten

That was a really comprehensive and excellent introduction to Deep Rock Galactic. I've dabbled in it a little bit and it was great fun.

This topic has also given me an idea for a game I've wanted to talk about for a while but of course would never actually turn up in the usual threads, and with the usual suspects I've already picked them for the top 100...

I'll probably post it in here once I've recharged the writing juices.

I've mentioned it a couple of different threads and even made a thread for it myself, but Little Nightmares 2 is a great 4-6 hour horror indie that seems to go unnoticed. It's more fleshed out and interesting than the first game (which I thought was good but ultimately a bit shallow), the visual and sound design are top notch, and you can often get it for £10-15. I enjoyed it enough to get the platinum.

FAzdnDJWEAIxLN-.thumb.jpg.1e92df9a9ab005599eb1c490137967da.jpg

FAzdnQMX0AADT-K.thumb.jpg.25ee05d3e316c0f5285b45b49ff0f08c.jpg

I'm always surprised the Monster Hunter games don't get more love here. Monster Hunter Rise in particular is so smooth, addictive and fun even with randos, I love it, and the Sunbreak DLC has taken it to another level again.

Lets talk about:

Overload

Overload-release.jpg

One of my absolute favourite games back in the golden DOS gaming age of the mid 90s was Descent II. Unlike all the endless Doom clones that filled the shelves and dominated the shareware circuit, the Descent games felt like something much more advanced. It would be a few years before Quake would really solidify the idea of mouse driven free look and full 3D environments and enemies, so the original Descent was something quite revolutionary for its time. The sequel was even strutting its stuff before Quake was even out.

ss_62286a84f2cc824a67c352576a6ccf32f070b

And they were frankly incredible games - the levels were twisting, labyrinthine and sprawling affairs, with true 3D allowing the level designers' imaginations to really construct some quite fiendish maps. It's strange: much as I ended up enjoying Quake, Descent II was the game that kept pulling me back to explore it more. I remember playing it with a joystick that had a hat switch, that I would use for forward/back and strafe, which might sounds extremely weird, but it really worked and felt kind of awesome.

I've always lamented that after Descent 3 the series basically disappeared, and there were no other developers really attempting anything similar. With the odd exceptions like Forsaken, which to be honest were nowhere near as good.

So imagine my surprised and delight to find that there was a game out that not only attempts to revitalise that classic Decent feeling, but that it's also actually an honest to goodness reboot made by the original developers of the first two Descent games.

This is basically the Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night equivalent for the 90s DOS generation.

ov2-1024x576.jpg

It's got everything: mad levels that will make you tear your hair out, blowing up a reactor and running for your life, massive, upgradable weapons and delightful swarms of missiles. And it can also be really very punishing, just like the original games. (Though there are many difficulty settings to tone it down to) 

But it also looks and sounds amazing, and will let you really push your PC if you want to, but it's also out on the PS4 and Xbox One for the curious and not currently drowning in old PC game nostalgia.

You get a substantial game for the money, and I would heartily recommend it as an overlooked gem.

Can confirm: Overload is the best Descent game.* A belting little action game.

*assuming we're not counting the Freespace spin-off series

It was the same studio at least, and it shares more with Descent (being in space, blasting things with lasers) than their more recent franchises do!* It also shares the "being largely a defunct genre" thing :(

*Though, thinking about it, Red Faction is themed around off-world mining — perhaps it's more of a spiritual sequel than Freespace was

46 minutes ago, Benny said:

Lets talk about:

Overload

Overload-release.jpg

One of my absolute favourite games back in the golden DOS gaming age of the mid 90s was Descent II. Unlike all the endless Doom clones that filled the shelves and dominated the shareware circuit, the Descent games felt like something much more advanced. It would be a few years before Quake would really solidify the idea of mouse driven free look and full 3D environments and enemies, so the original Descent was something quite revolutionary for its time. The sequel was even strutting its stuff before Quake was even out.

And they were frankly incredible games - the levels were twisting, labyrinthine and sprawling affairs, with true 3D allowing the level designers' imaginations to really construct some quite fiendish maps. It's strange: much as I ended up enjoying Quake, Descent II was the game that kept pulling me back to explore it more. I remember playing it with a joystick that had a hat switch, that I would use for forward/back and strafe, which might sounds extremely weird, but it really worked and felt kind of awesome.

I've always lamented that after Descent 3 the series basically disappeared, and there were no other developers really attempting anything similar. With the odd exceptions like Forsaken, which to be honest were nowhere near as good.

So imagine my surprised and delight to find that there was a game out that not only attempts to revitalise that classic Decent feeling, but that it's also actually an honest to goodness reboot made by the original developers of the first two Descent games.

This is basically the Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night equivalent for the 90s DOS generation.

ov2-1024x576.jpg

It's got everything: mad levels that will make you tear your hair out, blowing up a reactor and running for your life, massive, upgradable weapons and delightful swarms of missiles. And it can also be really very punishing, just like the original games. (Though there are many difficulty settings to tone it down to) 

But it also looks and sounds amazing, and will let you really push your PC if you want to, but it's also out on the PS4 and Xbox One for the curious and not currently drowning in old PC game nostalgia.

You get a substantial game for the money, and I would heartily recommend it as an overlooked gem.

As soon as I saw that first screenshot I said to myself 'wow, that reminds me of Descent' :D I used to love that game back on my...pentium 2, maybe? So long ago! 

It should work very well on a controller: you basically control it like a modern FPS but with lateral vertical movement and rolling on the shoulder buttons or face buttons.

Ok FINE I'll talk about Rain World again.

Rain World is the game that Dark Souls thinks it is. There's an omnipresent time limit. Most enemies can kill you instantly. You level down when you die. The game world is utterly baffling. Nothing ever explains itself. Quite frankly it's an absolute pain in the arse to play. I barely made it a quarter of the way through before giving up in disgust. And yet... I dream about it at night. I've spent more time looking at the wiki than I have playing the game. The levels are called things like Chimney Canopy and Farm Arrays. I don't even know what those words mean. I met an NPC called Five Pebbles. Apparently there's another one called Looks To The Moon. I have no idea why they're called those things. Maybe there isn't a reason. I know I'll go back to it one day, and I'll probably bounce straight off it again. It's not for everyone. It's probably not even for me. But I want it to be for me. 

7 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Rain World is the game that Dark Souls thinks it is. There's an omnipresent time limit. Most enemies can kill you instantly. You level down when you die. The game world is utterly baffling. Nothing ever explains itself. Quite frankly it's an absolute pain in the arse to play. I barely made it a quarter of the way through before giving up in disgust. And yet... I dream about it at night. I've spent more time looking at the wiki than I have playing the game. The levels are called things like Chimney Canopy and Farm Arrays. I don't even know what those words mean. I met an NPC called Five Pebbles. Apparently there's another one called Looks To The Moon. I have no idea why they're called those things. Maybe there isn't a reason. I know I'll go back to it one day, and I'll probably bounce straight off it again. It's not for everyone. It's probably not even for me. But I want it to be for me. 

I remember this piquing my interest when it first came out, but it definitely sounds a bit obnoxious, and your summary hasn't done much to mitigate that. It it actually...good?

12 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

yeah to be fair that sounds bloody awful :lol:

Good on you for trying but man, life's too short!

This video perfectly encapsulates how utterly mad a session of deep rock galactic can be when shit hits the fan:

Spoiler

For context: 4 man team, 3 go down and need to be revived, lone guy is low on health, being chased by a HUGE swarm of bugs, manages to somehow survive, gets picked up by a grabber which usually drops you to your death but instead actually helps in this instance, he carries on surviving against overwhelming odds only to blow himself up with his own grenade. :sealclap:

I'd like to drop a mention in for Deception IV: Nightmare Princess. I feel like it's been a bit overlooked by the internet in general, not just on here.

TNP.jpg.55acf37999bae215bc73904b064ffc41.jpg

You play as one of two supernatural ladies (the devil's daughters, maybe) who're being hassled by a bunch of villagers and that. They think you're evil, I guess.

Your defence is to set up traps and kind of lure them in. As you progress, you can lay more traps of different types (stick-you-to-the-floor traps, projectiles, squash-you-flat, blow-you-around etc), and set off these sweet combos of horror on these fools. The gameplay itself is a little stunted further into the game, as you replace spent traps with new ones by pausing the action, but it all gets played out smoothly in the replays they set up for you.

deception-iv-the-nightmare-princess-c-min.jpeg.42b32c34f3d01a8615fcd29a9e4bb89d.jpeg

I can't seem to get anyone interested in it at all, for some reason. I come back to it all the time, and have had it installed on my PS4 and Vita (cross saving means the sadism never has to stop!) since they came out.

0dfcbdab86ad6a57c9dc4c283e3a904e.thumb.jpg.8795cfeb6c9384d688ddda18125ced8e.jpg

Nightmare Princess is a kind of expanded version of the previous iteration Blood Ties, and it's perhaps not worth the full price that it still commands on the digital store, but shit. I've had so many hours fun out of this set up that it's been worth every penny to me. It was a review copy I got on the PS4 (full disclosure) but I weighed out full price for the Vita copy as I had a big train journey to go on one day.

Deception-IV-The-Nightmare-Princess-3-min.jpg.cbd07893b3e27516dab87e9129441d7c.jpg

Good thread, btw. Might just give a little more life to some forgotten games.

Yeah, I'm a big, big fan of the Deception series, ever since picking up Trapt as part of 2 for £20 offer way back when (it remains one of the nine PS2 games I've kept hold of over the years; unlike the other half of that offer, MGS3, which I obviously got rid of as inferior). Tower defence meets Rube Goldberg, basically, albeit predating tower defence as a genre.

The series is a bit janky, and has some unnecessarily horny character design in the main characters (I mean, it's Tecmo, so no real surprise there), but it's just really satisfying to play. The highest praise I can give it is that for the past few months I've been giving serious consideration to rebuying a PS5, not to play the latest and greatest, but because I fancied a replay of The Nightmare Princess on a bigger screen (and with better load times than) the Vita version.*

My tiny collection of Deception (which were desperately trying to fall over, so please excuse the jaunty angle):

20220825_153807_copy_1612x1209.thumb.jpg.2ab7c5fa03a66abfbada2ee16baf09d6.jpg

*obviously I could just get a PS4 again, but with the PS5 being fully backwards compatible that felt more tempting...

I actually fished Deception 4 out of a bargain bin years ago but never played it. The boxart put me right off but I read that it was an interesting game with not much like it that gen. I'll get around to it...eventually...maybe.

Good to see that it's not just me on it. I did try to go back to the older games in the series, but I find it troublesome playing older games. The jank factor is through the roof on some stuff. I can't even play Super Metroid, having missed it first time around. I love Metroid stuff, but it feels super masochistic to play through this widely loved classic. Ain't aged well.

On 22/08/2022 at 20:46, Benny said:

Lets talk about:

Overload

Overload-release.jpg

ov2-1024x576.jpg

Anyone have any experience with the xbox port? I'm mainly wondering about the framerate. 

Patrick’s Parabox is a wonderful puzzler, a mind-bending twist on the old sokoban formula. It’s had precisely three mentions on the forum: one of those was me in the Steam Deck thread, and another was the Edge 8 review score (where it was discussed no further).

The puzzles are incredibly well designed, the type that you can stare at for ages and then laugh at how simple the solution was all along. It’s also a perfect game to play on the Steam Deck.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260520/Patricks_Parabox/

16 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Patrick’s Paradox is a wonderful puzzler, a mind-bending twist on the old sokoban formula. It’s had precisely three mentions on the forum: one of those was me in the Steam Deck thread, and another was the Edge review score (where it was discussed no further).

The puzzles are incredibly well designed, the type that you can stare at for ages and then laugh at how simple the solution was all along. It’s also a perfect game to play on the Steam Deck.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260520/Patricks_Parabox/

I've wishlisted that - sounds great!

I also think that Chicory: A Colourful Tale belongs here as, for a game of its quality, its thread is only one page long, and it's now been ported from PC to Switch and PlayStation. It featured in a few different GOTY lists.

image.png.77e78aea114a867a104391fd3234a2dd.png

I reviewed it in the completed games thread last year:

Leo’s Fortune - this has been out for ages but I picked it up the other day on PS+ having remembered being told it was the best platformer on mobile when it first came out.

The story is bobbins and it’s not very long but the actual platforming action is really great. The mechanics are fairly unique to my mind and it all feels lovely to control. 

I’m fairly convinced that a more interesting and better presented storyline, with a more charismatic/charming/ interesting character would have seen this be a bigger deal.

2 hours of top notch 2D platforming.