Will Wright is back and...oh no. Blockchain games....

Unofficial Who

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/will-wright-s-gallium-studios-raises-6-million-to-fund-blockchain-games?

Independent developer Gallium Studios has raised $6 million from Griffin Gaming Partners to fund its first two games, VoxVerse and Proxi. 

Gallium was founded by The Sims and Spore designer Will Wright and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego creator Lauren Elliott in 2015. The studio was founded in the hopes of making creator-owned simulation games that would incorporate Web3 and AI technology. Both VoxVerse and Proxi will use blockchain technology. 

In all seriousness, can you make a game involving blockchains that doesn't come with all the horrible NFTs and crypto investment rubbish? My limited understanding is that blockchains are alright and it's just everything else around it that's horrible.

10 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

In all seriousness, can you make a game involving blockchains that doesn't come with all the horrible NFTs and crypto investment rubbish? My limited understanding is that blockchains are alright and it's just everything else around it that's horrible.

They're horrible in different ways, but it's the blockchains, particularly "Proof Of Work" blockchains using up insane amounts of energy to provide a function that could often be replaced with a simple centralised database. You also can't really separate the two in most cases, as interacting with blockchains tends to involve paying fees with crypto.

26 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

Imagine a database.

Ok, now you know all you need to know about blockchains.

22 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

My limited professional experience of blockchains, in a totally different industry, is that they were completely superfluous but were included because it was the hot new buzzword that got investors interested. In that case they were setting up a new energy trading system and said they were going to use blockchain to track all the transactions. Despite the fact they would still be the market operator, under contract to all participants, like every other market system everywhere. So what benefit does using the blockchain bring, over them just keeping all that info in a database? None whatsoever, and I never saw anyone even attempt to articulate any benefit. It was just the latest fad and a way of getting people interested.

4 hours ago, Darren said:

So what benefit does using the blockchain bring, over them just keeping all that info in a database? None whatsoever, and I never saw anyone even attempt to articulate any benefit.

Well, there are the investor/scammer types that go on about "IMAGINE you really actually owning an GAME ITEM in the Blockchain! Because it's YOURS you can do whatever you want with it, like using it in every game!!!" :lol: Clearly people who don't know anything about games. Imagine taking your Assassin's Creed outfit into Call of Duty thanks to the Blockchain - until you realise that it doesn't work that way. 

"But you can SELL your game items!!!" yeah, like we've been doing for ages in Steam. 

Independent developer Gallium Studios has raised $6 million from Grifting Gaming Partners to fund its first two games, VoxVerse and Proxi. 

Gallium was founded by The Sims and Spore designer Will Wright and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego creator Lauren Elliott in 2015. The studio was founded in the hopes of making creator-owned simulation games that would incorporate Web3 and AI technology. Both VoxVerse and Proxi will use blockchain technology. 

Fixed.

Imagine being a virtual landlord in a persistent online city where you can rent out the office space that Will Wright, Peter Molyneux and Ken Levine all fail to make games in.