Jump to content

Hellraiser - new reimagining


JohnC
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 24/08/2022 at 17:25, choddo said:

I’ve only seen the first one and it was perfect

 

The second one isn't bad at all, mind.

 

The rest can go pickle though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JoeK said:

 

The second one isn't bad at all, mind.

 

The rest can go pickle though. 

 

Kenneth Cranham does a lot of the lifting, but I do like the matte painting hell scenes  and overall I still think k it's a decent movie.

 

The doctor is in!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FishyFish said:

 

Kenneth Cranham does a lot of the lifting, but I do like the matte painting hell scenes  and overall I still think k it's a decent movie.

 

The doctor is in!

 

I was a sucker back in the day for the whole world building - Not entirely sure how long after the movies they came out, but Dark horse did a four-part series called the 'Books of the Damned' (think that was what they were called), and they were done as scrap-books of stuff 'found' about hell and the cenobites and artifacts and stuff like that. They were fantastic fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, FishyFish said:

The original Hellraiser was one of the first horror movies I saw on release in the cinema (I think From Beyond was the first). Back in my Fangoria reading days. :)

 I watched Hellraiser on the train going to London for my first job interview. It was a movie I avoided as I remember young me going to Blockbusters scanning the horror covers, and being scared of the Hellraiser cover, next to Nightbreed. Excellent movie though, and cannot wait for the new one next to the new Evil Dead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I approve of the way they're continuing with the look of hell and in particular the Leviathan aspect of it. Female Pinhead? Why not, she looks good. Bit of a robotic voice on her perhaps. Glad they've got Chatterbox in there :)

 

I don't tend to watch much horror these days, but if - if - this turns out to be a worthy sequel for this series, I'll be very happy indeed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like it cost more than the rest of them combined.

 

I was late getting into 1 & 2 and found them a bit laughable at first which annoyed my friend who was very serious about them but have a real soft spot for them now. I only saw 3 once or twice I think but actually watched it yesterday as I recorded it off the horror channel and as @Skeeez suggested above I found that it was more interested in showcasing the new cenobites that were complete trash - CD Player Man and Video Camera Man than the story like in the first 2.

 

Never watched any other, I seem to recall Clive Barker distancing from them as the series went on as he had little to no involvement but they still say 'from the mind of...' at the start or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

 

And for my sins I've seen all the mainline Doug Bradley ones 😫

 

I'd decided to watch the rest from 4 onwards only to fall at the first hurdle as 4 isn't available on the services I have (netflix, amazon, disney, paramount, sky) and I aren't buying the others when I suspect they are likely to be in the 'not great' category.

 

Gah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JoeK said:

Well, I approve of the way they're continuing with the look of hell and in particular the Leviathan aspect of it. Female Pinhead? Why not, she looks good. Bit of a robotic voice on her perhaps. Glad they've got Chatterbox in there :)

 

 

God, I hate to disagree with you on that one because its not a hill I want to die on. I would hate it if SHODAN in the System shock universe were turned into a male figure, because it wouldn't be the same. I would also hate it if a remake of Annihilation (Natalie Portman) featured an all male cast, because it wouldn't be the same. 

 

Pinhead was a British WW1 veteran with severe PTSD and it explains why he went after and discovered "the box". It just makes sense. Changing it doesn't make sense. Of course, there might be lore that says otherwise, but in terms of movies Pinhead was perfect the way he was. Its almost as if there was a connection between the horrors of WW1 and the horrors found in "the box". Hellraiser 2022 has a female Pinhead because some executive thought it was a good idea, not because an artistic soul had a vision. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, I’m sure female pinhead was definitely a requirement from higher up. That said, I’m not offended by it. I always found the whole vibe of the original film the key thing so happy to have fluidity in other things if it’s actually a good film. 
 

I’m not holding out too much hope but I thought there was enough in the trailer for me to raise an eyebrow of interest!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with that. Just to be clear, I’m not offended by it, I just think it’s a shame that captain Spencer and his backstory is deleted. There are plenty of room in hell for female villains, so why delete iconic characters?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Stevie said:

 

 

God, I hate to disagree with you on that one because its not a hill I want to die on. I would hate it if SHODAN in the System shock universe were turned into a male figure, because it wouldn't be the same. I would also hate it if a remake of Annihilation (Natalie Portman) featured an all male cast, because it wouldn't be the same. 

 

Pinhead was a British WW1 veteran with severe PTSD and it explains why he went after and discovered "the box". It just makes sense. Changing it doesn't make sense. Of course, there might be lore that says otherwise, but in terms of movies Pinhead was perfect the way he was. Its almost as if there was a connection between the horrors of WW1 and the horrors found in "the box". Hellraiser 2022 has a female Pinhead because some executive thought it was a good idea, not because an artistic soul had a vision. 

 

That was the the films that gave him that backstory though, and like 4 films in too. The original Pinhead from The Hellbound Heart is said to be androgynous and have a feminine voicem. So it's perfectly fine to have a female Pinhead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

 

That was the the films that gave him that backstory though right, and like 4 films in too. The original Pinhead from The Hellbound Heart is said to be androgynous and have a feminine voice, so it's perfectly fine to have a female Pinhead.

 

Yes, before I posted I did a quick google search and that's what it said: "androgynous voice", but nothing more. Was Pinhead androgynous, or did hell make him/her androgynous? I dont know! Captain Spencer was a good pinhead though.

 

spencer.thumb.jpg.6aaa322cc417a1916b67c63b149abcdf.jpg

 

 

Maybe the female Pinhead had a similar story. Maybe she was a US marine (what else?) getting PTSD from illegally invading countries, but in the movie that's being presented as something heroical? I expect American flags if thats the case, and I'm sure some here would love it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, yakumo said:

 

The comic was decent too, but it has so much potential.

 

The Nightbreed universe is such a fascinating one, on so many levels. I would love to see a reboot, but it would have to be a labour of love. Not exploitation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

Looking like easily the best Hellraiser related thing to happen in the last 34 years. I’m actually slightly disappointed it’s a film, I initially thought it was a mini-series. 

I'm with you looks decent to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stevie said:

 

The Nightbreed universe is such a fascinating one, on so many levels. I would love to see a reboot, but it would have to be a labour of love. Not exploitation. 

Where's my weaveworld and great and secret show adaptations. I want to know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

Where's my weaveworld and great and secret show adaptations. I want to know. 

Deep cuts here.  

 

Watched Lord of Illusions, such a fun horror film but with that darkly twisted spin Barker sprinkles on. 

 

Also didn't know the new Hellraiser is a movie, presumed it was a TV series.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2022 at 17:52, cassidy said:

Where's my weaveworld and great and secret show adaptations. I want to know. 

I maintain that I would love to see an adaptation of The  Thief of Always.  I reread it recently and it really holds up as a great horror fable for kids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.