The Adventures in Air Frying

gone fishin

Is there an air fryer thread? I can’t find one, so I’ll start one.

So these seem to be hugely popular in the States and they’re beginning to get popular here. I picked up one a couple months ago from Costco, the Instant Vortex Air Fryer. It’s in Lakeland for £219, but I picked it up on offer for something crazy like £130.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/26873/instant-vortex-plus-dual-drawer-air-fryer-with-clearcook

With the cost of electricity going up, the Air Fryer makes such a difference. It heats up in about 2 minutes, you can cook within 10-15 minutes and I’ve found some really interesting things to cook with it. In fact, the only time we use our oven is for home made pizzas…

So I think most people are aware that Air Fryers are great at heating up frozen food (chips, chicken goujons and all that type of stuff), but you can also use it to make some great things from scratch. We’re on a bit of a “reducing our processed food as much as we can” kick, so this helps out. 

Anyway, some things I’ve managed to cook up in the air fryer that works really well.

Tandoori Paneer cheese: Heat air fryer to 200c, in a bowl mix some yoghurt, garlic, lemon juice and tandoori masala mix. Cut the paneer cheese into 2cm cubes and dip the cubes in the mix. Then coat with some Gram flour (chickpea flour) and place in the air fryer. Again, turn after about 5-7 minutes and leave in for about another 10 minutes (until crispy).

Fried Southern Style chicken. Again, heat air fryer to… 200c, in a bowl mix an egg with southern fried spices, in another bowl put in some bread crumbs. Get some chicken thighs and coat each one in the egg mix and then in the bread crumb mix. Place each chicken thigh in the air fryer and cook for 15-20 minutes, turn at least once about half way (your air fryer will probably remind you). 

One final one and this is a revelation. Home made granola. Buy a bag of porridge oats,  get a bowl and a colander. Place the colander in the bowl. take about 200-300 grams of porridge oats and put them in the colander and remove as much of the oat “flour” and small crappy bits of oats. In another bowl, place the sieved oats into it and add about 2 tablespoons of oil (maybe a bit more if you want), a good glob of honey, a tablespoon of brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix together and it will look like the beginning of a flapjack mix. Get your air fryer to 160c and spread the oat mix in the air fryer and set it to cook for 15 minutes. Every 4 minutes or so, make sure the mix the oat mix in the air fryer (as it can burn easily if not mixed). Check after 12 minutes and it should be a light golden brown, if not then cook it a bit longer but be careful… if it starts going too dark you need to remove it as it will burn. Take out and leave to cool. Next day, you can have homemade granola that isn’t 54% oats and the rest is filler. Plus it costs about 30p for a weeks worth.

Anyone else got any recipes or things they like to do with their air fryer?

On 26/08/2022 at 09:35, rocksteady said:

Thread is in ATF for some reason!

That one is about the hardware though, so this one will be good for the cooking side of things.

We got an AF a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. So easy to clean, cooks so quickly and everything we've tried in it has turned out great. Sometimes it needs a little spray of oil for certain things and I can recommend the Misto sprayer. Available on ebay for £11. 

I’m not proud of it, but I did a frozen pizza in ours yesterday. I basically sliced it in half and did each half on one level of the grill rack in our Ninja Foodi. I think it used a fraction of the energy our electric oven would have and did a better job. 

We generally use ours for breaded chicken recipes (bit like your southern chicken recipe), or to crisp things at the end of a recipe that involves pressure cooking. 

That granola sounds good though. I think I might give that a go this week. 

I think I probably should be in the ATF thread for this, but we're thinking of getting one once we're settled in our new kitchen. With there being five of us, we need a really big one, though. What kind of size is that one @gone fishin? Could you do enough nuggets and chips for five in there? More to the point, could I do about a kilo of chicken thighs in one side and about the same again in wedges in the other?

My kids, like most kids, are fans of breaded chicken (as am I). Someone I work with does her own in an air fryer, which is clearly preferable to buying premade stuff. 

@ScouserInExile feeding 4 would be no problem, 5 might be possible, but you might have to buy an air fryer rack which essentially doubles your cooking space. 

It’s pretty big the air fryer I’ve got and it’s great that you have two independent fryers (so chicken in one and fries in another, with different temps and times is really easy).  I’m not sure if there is a larger model, but worthwhile checking out (and the Ninja which is very similar). 

On 31/08/2022 at 18:10, gone fishin said:

@ScouserInExile feeding 4 would be no problem, 5 might be possible, but you might have to buy an air fryer rack which essentially doubles your cooking space. 

It’s pretty big the air fryer I’ve got and it’s great that you have two independent fryers (so chicken in one and fries in another, with different temps and times is really easy).  I’m not sure if there is a larger model, but worthwhile checking out (and the Ninja which is very similar). 

The lakeland one you linked to is 7.6 litre (2x 3.8).  The regular sized dual drawer ninja is the same capacity as that but ninja also do a 9.5 litre 'max' version.  The external dimensions are only a little bigger too which is nice. From memory the drawers on the 'max' are bigger in all dimensions but perhaps more in height than the other two. 

Edit.  ^ @ScouserInExile

Do these make crispy chips? I hate oven cooking chips because they are always a bit soggy. But if these can properly crisp up a chip, I might be interested in getting one (along with using it for all my other oven-based needs).

I presume they are cheaper to run just because of the quicker warm-up time vs a normal oven? Or are they more efficient in other ways too? 

Even the cheapest air-fryer will make really good chips from frozen - nice and crispy. One of the best things about air-fryers is when you wake up with a bit of a hangover and remember you have a bag of frozen hash browns in the freezer. Chuck a few in the fryer and while they cook you can get on with the rest of breakfast. 15 minutes later you're eating them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2022 at 12:36, El Spatula said:

I'm now obsessed with my cheap ass Tower Air Fryer. Made green chicken tikka and gunpowder potatoes in it last night and both were exceptional.

Sounds amazing. Can you share the recipe please?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m quite fond of getting my bacon in there. 

Chips and breaded/crumbed chicken obviously good. 

I made sesame prawn roast in it the other night. They looked amazing but were totally dry - I should have thought about that really. It needs the deep fry oil I think. 

We did boiled eggs in the air fryer. Obscenely easy. I think it was something like the bake setting at 120 degrees, for 14 minutes. Too long, the yolk was quite hard boiled but it went well. Need to just adjust the times but just very simple and I’m assuming more energy efficient. 

On 13/09/2022 at 12:36, joemul said:

The Ninja AF400 has been out of stock everywhere recently but I tried their own website on a whim yesterday and managed to bag one. It just arrived an hour ago. Worth a look for those hunting for one:

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-foodi-max-dual-zone-air-fryer-af400uk-zidAF400UK

argos have the vortex plus 6in1, which has glass trays so you can watch.

I like to watch… we might get that one of those instead.

Edited by SeanR
Not bigger I didn’t look at the af400

I've got that one. It's great but wish it was larger internally.

Top tip, line the inner base with tinfoil for easier cleaning. The whole basket and "tray" are suitable for the dishwasher but a fuck ton of oil collects underneath.

I'm curious. Can people really tell the difference between food from an oven and from the air fryer? I'm especially interested if anyone has actually blind tested the two side by side. I understand you save money with an air fryer, but it would surely take a long time to make back what it cost in saved energy bills 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Yiggy said:

You pleased with it @SeanR?

Good for a family of 4?

Can you put multiple things in a single basket? So nuggets AND chips or Salmon AND brocolli?

I’ve got the same one and yes you can put different things in the same basket

its pretty much the same dimensions as the ninja dual fryer, so you can get accessories like a grill stand (which gives you two layers per compartment). So you can have broccoli  on the bottom and salmon on the top (or nuggets and chips). 

Another good accessory are silicon baking dishes like these (£15)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicone-Gloves】Silicone-Liners-Accessories-Microwave/dp/B0BLTS19F4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2L1M9OOWGI3B6&keywords=silicone+ninja+air+fryer&qid=1668488169&sprefix=silicone+ninja+air+fryer%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

I use them to make lasagne, 12 minutes in bake mode at 180 degrees. Perfect and it’s a lot easier to clean by just bunging them in the dishwasher

You have to excuse the typical Amazon poor photoshopping, but these are the grill racks I was talking about

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compatible-Gekufa-Stainless-Dehydrator-Accessories/dp/B0BC2Z2K3Z/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=2MCMOO7IS5HIJ&keywords=ninja+air+fryer+grill+rack&qid=1668496900&sprefix=ninja+air+fyer+grill%2Caps%2C235&sr=8-5

one also acts as a kebab skewer stand (it comes with skewers), great for chicken or paneer cheese. The racks are really useful.

Will probably be buying an air fryer on Friday. Will look out for Black Friday deals in the short window I have between shifts, otherwise it'll be payday and my Sainsbury's employee discount at Argos goes up to 15% for the day, so will pick one up there after I'm done for the day. Will do some research in the meantime (it's a tricky one to gauge - a rare product that everyone loves, so that everything has at least a four-star review...)

17 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Is cleaning these a nightmare?

The ease of cleaning them is one of their biggest plus points. They have a good non-stick coating so a quick swish in dishwater is all it takes.

53 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Is cleaning these a nightmare?

Depends on the model. The first one I had needed handwashing and was a total pain. I swapped that for the same one that SeanR has and that model goes in the dishwasher. But you can also put in a silicon or paper liner so you only need to wash/dispose of that instead. (Tray still needs washed but that's easy)

22 hours ago, schmojo said:

I can now be an air fryer bore too!

Bagged this one from Costco today for about 45 quid: https://www.costco.co.uk/Appliances/Small-Kitchen-Appliances/Cooking-Specialty/Gourmia-67L-Digital-Air-Fryer/p/6487

It's 6.7L, and has been pretty impressive with the few things I've thrown at it.

That seems an absolute bargain. Pity it's sold out. Will re-evaluate my options, and maybe hold off if can't get closer to that.