Is Amazon buying EA? Update: CNBC doesn't think so.

MidWalian

If this new hypermegacorporation remasters SSX Tricky I'll let them drive a roomba round my house all day with a live streaming camera feeding directly into Jeff Bezos' brain.

Just now, Eighthours said:

I see potential 'power' problems here, but I think that Amazon is a more creative organisation than EA at this point, so I'm not as anti them being bought as I might have been a while ago.

Evidence needed for this hypothesis. 

6 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

Probably not.

Then it might be any of the other Big Companies. EA's been on the menu for quite some time now. Maybe the bidding war is still ongoing and someone jumped the gun too early.

6 minutes ago, deKay said:

Who is that? How do they know? CNBC are saying they *are* bidding for EA.

Turns out he's a bot.

2 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

it's interesting that EA are clearly seeing the writing on the wall for child-gambling-operations, and the bigwigs are trying to get a payout before it all collapses. 

Is the writing actually on the wall for this? I haven't really seen a huge amount of regulatory movement to deal with it. (Hopefully I've missed something - obviously it's all utterly dreadful.)

3 minutes ago, hmm said:

Is the writing actually on the wall for this? I haven't really seen a huge amount of regulatory movement to deal with it. (Hopefully I've missed something - obviously it's all utterly dreadful.)

Loot boxes are currently banned in a number of EU countries, and it's likely they will be across all of the EU in the near future.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/18-european-country-groups-have-joined-the-fight-against-loot-boxes/

31 minutes ago, Captain Kelsten said:

Oh you meant the whole of Amazon, not their illustrious gaming division? 

Yep! I actually thought that their gaming division wouldn't be involved as it's such a disaster. 😂

1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

Yep! I actually thought that their gaming division wouldn't be involved as it's such a disaster. 😂

If this rumour is true it's probably to fold EA into the Amazon Gaming division so that they actually have some, y'know...games.