3D Gaming

Droo

I took the headstaggers last week and picked up the associated active 3D glasses for my 2015 Sony Bravia TV, something I never bothered with at the time. 

Turns out, getting 3D content to work is proving harder than I expected. 

I do have a PS3 upstairs which I’m fairly sure outputs 3D but does anyone have any recommendations for 3D games/Movies worth having a crack at?

In my experience the active 3D is not great.  On PS3 you can play Ridge Racer 7 (assuming the patch is still on the store) but it absolutely hammers the frame rate and lowers the resolution.

I'll add there's a lost on Wikipedia of games that support the 3D and I remember some on PS4 were better, super stardust for one. But overall the benefit of the 3D seemed outweighed by those horrible flickering glasses.  

I think that 3D works on the basis that the bigger the separation between the 2 images, the nearer or further away the image appears.  On a 55" screen (mines probably the same as yours) you get the effect of 3D but you haven't got the cinema sized movie screen as your canvas.  Nothing is too deep or in front of your face like the cinema does.  I bought the Predator 3D conversion and it was shit. Double imaging and ghosting, no real depth.   Ripped the disk to PC (7Gb) and watched it on an Oculus Quest 2 and the effect was phenomenal.  I just think as an overall thing 3DTV at home doesn't work.

The walk, avatar, and how to train your dragon are great in 3d.

edit- check the screen size settings, for ps4 anyway, you need to set the screen size for 3d films and it sometimes seems to reset to the wrong size and makes things look a bit odd.

Invincible Tiger was the first game to use the HDMI 3D standard (maybe). Which I only know as I did a tiny bit of work on it. It played okay for what it was but no one bought it.

You can't get it on anything now tho as it was digital and the company went bust. 

Motorstorm: 3D Rift was my fave game to play in 3D.

The problem I had with 3D gaming though (ignoring those awful active shutter glasses), is that it looks like the game is there in front of you, which is kind of cool, but also makes it look like a little diorama. In Motorstorm it doesn’t look like you’re driving a giant buggy, it’s like an RC car driving around inside your lounge.

That’s a problem VR doesn’t have, as everything can be displayed around you in actual size, and feels as big as it does in real life.

Wipeout was pretty good in 3D, as was Killzone 3, although the resolution suffered. The best use of 3D was probably in Stardust though. 

Movie wise, I bought a lot of 3D movies when they were popular. Disney / Pixar stuff was always good.

Terminator 2 used the effect really well, probably the best live action movie I’ve seen in 3d. Dread was another good one. 

I miss 3D 😢

I recently went down this rabbit hole. I love 3D, and picked up a passive Sony 3D TV. Unfortunately the RR 7 patch was no longer live so I had to soft mod my PS3 and obtain it another way. It does halve the framerate but 3D is always great.  Virtua Tennis, Puppeteer and Unchartered 3 are really good. 

Its true about the diorama comment above. But thats why I love it so. Its like little toys playing out in front of your eyes. 

Wasn't the Shadow of the Colossus collection 3D compatible? Give that a whirl, for sure.

Or some of the Llamasoft games - Polybius is eyeball-melting in 3D. And in 2D, for that matter.

The first Despicable Me is fun in 3D.

13 hours ago, chipsgravy said:

Its true about the diorama comment above. But thats why I love it so. Its like little toys playing out in front of your eyes. 

Yeah, it works well in some games but detracts from others. Motorstorm is great because it is like you’re driving an RC car around a sandpit!