IMMORTALITY

bradigor

@Jamie John if I could try to acquit myself a bit:

Spoiler

I did discover the hidden clips - it became apparent that the weird sound and rumble was part of the game after maybe the third time of experiencing it. It felt natural to rewind and try to see what was going on, which is quite intuitive design I think, so I soon worked it out. The game tells you how to operate the Moviola at the beginning. 

What I missed was the fact there there are other hidden clips, accessed by scrubbing through the footage in different ways - one of which (shoulder triggers) the game doesn’t say can be used to operate the Moviola - and the hints for which lack audio cues, and so are more subtle. 

Add to that, I experienced a few bugs where the controller rumbled for no reason - seemingly a bug whereupon rewinding, it didn’t rumble again. I don’t think I’m totally thick! And I do think it’s hard to figure out the existence of these clips. 

Also key to the self discovery

Spoiler

Was throwing you into the end of a clip, forcing you to rewind if you wanted to see all of it. Clever stuff.

My first realisation was stumbled upon as well. It was the one where the cop is going into the apartment, then comes out all flustered. I was like "what happened then?" And rewound to watch it again, at which point the door opened and it was her!

That was pretty great.

6 hours ago, Danster said:

Also key to the self discovery

Hide contents

Was throwing you into the end of a clip, forcing you to rewind if you wanted to see all of it. Clever stuff.

Spoiler

I used the left stick click to go back to the start of footage almost exclusively, which is why I didn’t spot the hidden stuff for a very long time. It was pure chance I rewound a clip manually, hours in, that happened to have her in. 

On 19/09/2022 at 21:16, Jamie John said:

That's interesting. I saw the bit where one of the characters mentioned that Ambrosio was based on a novel and I wondered whether or not it was a true novel. I probably read parts of The Monk years ago when I did the Gothic at uni.

It gets even more ridiculous when he's trying to watch this second woman bathe naked - she's so incredibly modest that even in private she conceals her modesty with her hands, so Lewis gets round this obstacle to sexiness by having a linnet fly in to the room and flap about, so she has to shoo it away, thereby revealing her NAKED FORM and providing a sexy bit

5 minutes ago, panda_t said:

It gets even more ridiculous when he's trying to watch this second woman bathe naked - she's so incredibly modest that even in private she conceals her modesty with her hands, so Lewis gets round this obstacle to sexiness by having a linnet fly in to the room and flap about, so she has to shoo it away, thereby revealing her NAKED FORM and providing a sexy bit

Spoiler

That happens in the game, doesn't it, with the dove and the very attractive Italian woman?

Well, fancy that!

Spoiler, clearly.

Spoiler

My first hidden clip involved The One having sex on a table in the middle of an Ambrosio table read with everyone else watching. For which I'd get about two frames at a time, because I hadn't worked out how to trigger them properly at that point.

To say I was very very confused about wtf was going on is an understatement.

What am I actually meant to do in this?  Maybe I missed something, but is there a mystery I’m trying to solve?

”Played” an hour or so on Gamepass, clicking people and objects in scenes from three badly written and acted films or film rehearsals, seemingly made some 30 years apart. I have 120+ clips and literally no idea what I’m meant to do, beyond more tedious “pixel hunting”.

What’s my goal, lol? And when do I need to do more than just hunt for screen regions to yield more tedious film clips?

Not trolling, it’s honestly the most irritatingly opaque thing I’ve ever fired up, and after about the 30th random clip I just skim them now.

I figure I’m missing some amazing moment, it’s a future Edge 9 and all, but with no apparent goal, I’m close to baling.

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

Ah. No rumble as I’m PC Game Pass on Steam Deck via XCloud.

I’ll likely just Google wtf is going on, and what my actual ‘gameplay’ role was meant to be.

There isn't a huge amount of 'gameplay' in the traditional sense. It's a mystery story presented in the form of interactive footage, like Barlow's other games.

The narrative premise is that Marissa Marcel, the red-headed young woman who features in the majority of the clips, starred in a movie in the 60s, one in the 70s and one in the 90s, but none of these films were ever released and Marissa herself disappeared. Your job is to discover why. You do this by watching clips from each of these three films (or behind the scenes footage for each of these films). On the main menu you can sort each clip by the date that they were originally taken, or the chronological narrative order for each of the three films, and this helps you to figure out what's going on. You find more footage by pausing a clip and then using the cursor to click on a person or object. You'll then be warped to another piece of footage at random which features that same person or a similar object at the moment it appears (clicking on a painting in one clip might take you to a sculpture that appears midway through another clip, for example).

Alongside figuring out the different mysteries (the narratives of the three films, plus the overarching narrative of what happened to Marissa, plus...other stuff), the 'game' is to try to discover new clips by experimenting with clicking on different types of objects. Pause a clip at any point and use the dpad to flick between anything you can interact with at that particular moment to warp to another clip. You'll often find that the newly-discovered clips help you to contextualise something you didn't really understand before, and the satisfaction of playing comes from slowly understanding exactly what's happened.

Plus...there's other stuff.

Personally, I think it's a brilliant game, but it doesn't hold your hand at all. I'd recommend pressing the left analogue stick button to rewind to the start each time you discover a new clip and then watching it in full for from the beginning. Afterwards, go back through the clip and find something that you think is significant or unusual to click on, and see where it takes you. Have a fiddle with the menus to figure out how they work, and experiment with scrubbing back and forth through footage, especially if there's anything which seems odd.

So I finished this and very much enjoyed it, but there were a bunch of clips where

Spoiler

I couldn't trigger the alternative scenes 'fully', for want of a better word. I'd rewind and they'd be sort of be partially overlaid with the real footage for as long as I held rewind, but it seemed quite random as to how clear they'd be and I could only make out the audio extremely faintly. Seems different from the other ones where you'd rewind back past a certain trigger point and then get 'locked into' the alternative clip (and could eg. scrub through it as normal). Was I doing something dumb? Example is the Minsky clip with Franny standing between the two masks.

Edited by misterSquare

1 hour ago, misterSquare said:

So I finished this and very much enjoyed it, but there were a bunch of clips where

Hide contents

I couldn't trigger the alternative scenes 'fully', for want of a better word. I'd rewind and they'd be sort of be partially overlaid with the real footage for as long as I held rewind, but it seemed quite random as to how clear they'd be and I could only make out the audio extremely faintly. Seems different from the other ones where you'd rewind back past a certain trigger point and then get 'locked into' the alternative clip (and could eg. scrub through it as normal). Was I doing something dumb? Example is the Minsky clip with Franny standing between the two masks.

Spoiler

On the Xbox you need to hold down left on the d-pad to get those scenes. Bit sure why and it's the games greatest failing in not communicating that in any way to players.

7 hours ago, therearerules said:
  Reveal hidden contents

On the Xbox you need to hold down left on the d-pad to get those scenes. Bit sure why and it's the games greatest failing in not communicating that in any way to players.

Ahh, thank you so much. God, I'd missed loads 😅

I’ve been enjoying this but now I’m around 6 hours in and wondering what I need to do to reach the credits. I think I have a pretty good idea of what the story is, and having heard some folks saw the credits after only 3 hours am starting to wonder whether it’s worth continuing. 

Is it simply a case of hoping to see the right set of clips for the game to decide I’ve finished? What should I be aiming for if I want to reach an end point?

On 26/09/2022 at 17:23, Bushtopher said:

I’ve been enjoying this but now I’m around 6 hours in and wondering what I need to do to reach the credits. I think I have a pretty good idea of what the story is, and having heard some folks saw the credits after only 3 hours am starting to wonder whether it’s worth continuing. 

Is it simply a case of hoping to see the right set of clips for the game to decide I’ve finished? What should I be aiming for if I want to reach an end point?

The game does actually tell you what to look out for. Can be clearer if needed.

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

The game does actually tell you what to look out for. Can be clearer if needed.

Thanks. I actually saw the credits last night but interested to know what the game tells you to look out for. Is it 

Spoiler

“what happened to Marissa?”

If so, I was aware of that but was after more clue as to how/where you can discover that other than randomly going from clip to clip. 

Overall, I thought the game was excellent though - well worth experiencing. 

I think the closest the game comes to telling you how to access the ending is 

Spoiler

If you rewind the clip of Marissa on the late night talkshow you get multiple clips of the female other. During one of which she explains that the only way to defeat them properly is through fire. So you could then keep selecting fire in scenes until it takes you to the ending.

That's the theory anyway but in reality I kept doing this and then, exasperated, looked on the internet for how to access the ending only to realise I was right all along. You're simply at the mercy of RNG which I think is, in general, the biggest failing of the game. I can't say that I think it's right that some people see the ending after 2 hours and others until 5-6 simply by pure chance. While what I outlined above is one way, I believe you can access the ending through pure luck via clicking on other things in scenes also.

5 hours ago, Majora said:

I think the closest the game comes to telling you how to access the ending is 

Hide contents

If you rewind the clip of Marissa on the late night talkshow you get multiple clips of the female other. During one of which she explains that the only way to defeat them properly is through fire. So you could then keep selecting fire in scenes until it takes you to the ending.

That's the theory anyway but in reality I kept doing this and then, exasperated, looked on the internet for how to access the ending only to realise I was right all along. You're simply at the mercy of RNG which I think is, in general, the biggest failing of the game. I can't say that I think it's right that some people see the ending after 2 hours and others until 5-6 simply by pure chance. While what I outlined above is one way, I believe you can access the ending through pure luck via clicking on other things in scenes also.

Spoiler

As soon as I thought I should look for fire I went straight to the rooftop Minsky scene where he sets the note alight, and this took me straight to the final scene, then credits. I just assumed this was programmed in.

Although reading footles post, maybe I'm mistaken and just had my expectations line up perfectly with what happened.

Re: ending:

Spoiler

Yeah the ending triggering is based on some arcane magic that probably seems logical in dev-land, but in reality has wildly inconsistent results. I've been on Reddit and various other places and some people trigger it after an hour or two with no clue or context as to what's going on, whereas others are still hunting for it 8 hours in having found almost every clip. 

I got to it via clicking on a chair in a casting scene, but I'd only watched a few rewind sequences and so had almost zero context for what was going on. It would have been way more impactful if I'd watched more rewind clips beforehand. Ultimately I was satisfied enough by unpicking the jigsaw after the credits, a bit like you do in Her Story where the end isn't necessarily the end. But I'm sure many players who got the ending too early would not have the patience, or not realise there is a huge trove of extra info to be found.

Based on people's accounts of how they triggered the ending, it seems to have a number of flags you need to check before it enters the pool of clips that you can be whisked to. You don't need a clip with fire to get to it although that's one way. Watching a few rewind clips is one pre-requisite, and there seem to be key rewind clips and normal clips which enable the ending. But even some big questions like how did Carl die aren't tied to the ending as I've heard from people that have hit the ending without finding those clips. So it sounds like there might be a pool of clips where you need to watch X number of them to enable the ending.

It's very unfortunate as people are getting wildly different experiences in accessing the ending and the amount of information you have at the time is critical to the ending's impact. I don't think the devs wanted you to know the whole story before getting credits but I really don't think they intended for it to trigger that early. A few players I read comments on got the ending in half an hour (probably by random item clicking).

Played for another hour this evening and got three (rare) achievements pop in rapid succession telling me I’d uncovered the fates of three different characters. I had done nothing of the sort. I couldn’t even put two of those names to faces. Hmm.