IMMORTALITY

bradigor

It’s LOADS better than Telling Lies, too. I enjoyed that, but it was a bit mundane. There was a lot of sifting through dirty river water to get to the gold, and once you’d discovered 

Spoiler

Logan Marshall-Green was a federal agent, there weren’t many other surprises in the story. 

In this, the shorter scenes and more melodramatic tone really helps keep you intrigued. It reminded me a lot of Too Old To Die Young, except hugely improved by being a lot faster-paced. I thought this was a masterpiece. 

I've played less than an hour of Telling Lies (not because I don't like it, just that I had missed it on release and only noticed it recently) and I've already discovered the spoilered plot point for myself. I don't think it's going to ruin the rest of the game. 

Starting to hit a wall with this now. More often than not I'm being given clips I've already seen when I select items in the scene. There are clearly still loads of clips left but it does rather seem to be pot luck as to whether I get new ones or not. Still not seen the credits and no idea how to trigger them. 

Brilliant as I think it's been, I feel like I'm hitting the point of diminishing returns and kind of just want to see the credits and go in the spoiler thread. I think the problem with the structure and the largely random order of the clips you're presented with is that early on every clip feels really important and crucial to understanding what is going on. The fewer clips you have remaining and the greater your understanding of both the fictional and 'real' stories, the less a lot of the previously unseen clips give up. It feels more like you're filling in tiny bits of understanding around the edges, which can still be rewarding, but not so much when you have to keep sifting through the same old clips to find them. The time/reward ratio starts skewing off.

I'm not even hell-bent on seeing every single clip, I just want to see the 'ending' at this point. Any ideas on how this is achieved? Spoiler tags obviously. 

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

Starting to hit a wall with this now. More often than not I'm being given clips I've already seen when I select items in the scene. There are clearly still loads of clips left but it does rather seem to be pot luck as to whether I get new ones or not. Still not seen the credits and no idea how to trigger them. 

Brilliant as I think it's been, I feel like I'm hitting the point of diminishing returns and kind of just want to see the credits and go in the spoiler thread. I think the problem with the structure and the largely random order of the clips you're presented with is that early on every clip feels really important and crucial to understanding what is going on. The fewer clips you have remaining and the greater your understanding of both the fictional and 'real' stories, the less a lot of the previously unseen clips give up. It feels more like you're filling in tiny bits of understanding around the edges, which can still be rewarding, but not so much when you have to keep sifting through the same old clips to find them. The time/reward ratio starts skewing off.

I'm not even hell-bent on seeing every single clip, I just want to see the 'ending' at this point. Any ideas on how this is achieved? Spoiler tags obviously. 

Spoiler

Have you watched the interview? That (and a few other clips) tell you what you should be looking out for.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember Immortality? It was a Edge 10, released August 30th, was discussed here until the 8th of September and then everyone stopped talking about it.  The thread was languishing on page 4 before this post. 

Edge 10. 

I remember when Halo, Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time were released and all discussion ceased after a week then too. 

Edge 10.

14 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Remember Immortality? It was a Edge 10, released August 30th, was discussed here until the 8th of September and then everyone stopped talking about it.  The thread was languishing on page 4 before this post. 

Edge 10. 

I remember when Halo, Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time were released and all discussion ceased after a week then too. 

Edge 10.

Weird. It’s a story game, that takes about eight hours, and had a load of pages across three threads.

I was actually playing it again last night. It can be so compelling when you ‘chain’ together a series of clips that reveal new pieces of the puzzle; but equally, it can be a real drag when you get clips that add apparently

little, or are clips you’ve already seen. And you don’t have much control beyond perceiving possibly interesting things in the scene (which are often tied to achievements, so you know you’re smart for picking them out).

It’s quite austere. The characters - both the actors and the roles they play - are not particularly enjoyable company. Marissa, while we’ll acted, lacks the warmth and humanity you’d maybe want from a main character. 

After the initial spurt of ‘progress’ it’s starting to slow down now, when really I want it to pick up pace and be more weird and do more interesting stuff. 

I've found I've not really thought about the game much since I finished it. By comparison I was thinking about Nier: Automata or, from the perspective of a film, Phantom Thread (mentioned above) for days after. Generally the more I thought about it the less depth was apparent to me. But that's just my personal reaction of course.

Yeah the spoilers thread was pretty hefty as well.

I don't understand what Dumpster is trying to say to be honest. A fairly short, niche game came out. The people who wanted to play it have mostly played it, discussed it, digested it and moved on. It's not like Elden Ring where you'd expect discussion to continue on for months for various reasons. It is what it is.

It's no different to how I can absolutely love a movie, make a post about it on here and then never post about it again.

Lol, you bump the thread just to highlight what an absolute bellend you are. Your obsession over Edge's rating of this game is hilarious. 

It's just a fucking magazine, get the fuck over it. 

I started this earlier this morning and I've played a few hours of it already, mostly on the Steam Deck via the cloud (which is a good way to play it). I don't really know what's going on, but it's very compelling and I can't wait to play more of it.

One spoilery question (but not that spoilery, as I haven't played it for long):

Spoiler

In the bits where the 'main' footage crosses over with the black and white footage of the blonde, slick-backed devil woman, or whoever she is - I'm presuming the whole thing is that Marissa has sold her soul, Dorian Gray-style, to preserve her youth, or similar - anyway, in these sections, is there always a bit where the black and white footage suddenly clicks into colour and you're watching it like the 'main' footage?

There have been quite a few clips I've seen where there's black and white footage under the surface, but which I can't get to 'click' into place. It's quite fiddly. Is it just a matter of finding the exact moment to shift the clip into reverse to get it to click?

Anyway, looking forward to playing more. I've certainly not played anything like it before.

@Jamie John Use the frame scrub (this should actually be in the thread title)

Spoiler

Basically, when you see other footage blended in, instead of playing backwards, pause and use the d-pad or whatever key/button it is to go backward frame-by-frame.

I got the end credits without ever using that feature! :facepalm:

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

@Jamie John Use the frame scrub (this should actually be in the thread title)

Hide contents

Basically, when you see other footage blended in, instead of playing backwards, pause and use the d-pad or whatever key/button it is to go backward frame-by-frame.

I got the end credits without ever using that feature! :facepalm:

Ah, cool. Cheers!

The game does tell you how to use the frame scrub at some point near the beginning, just not when you should use it. You're definitely not alone in not figuring out when you should use it yourself though.

Yep, its a gripe in an otherwise pretty great game.

Spoiler

If it hadn't been for the forum (thanks @therearerules) I would have also completely missed that nuance of it! Sometimes you need to scrub back at different speed increments, keep incrementing until you see the ghost image start to coalese into full view and the next scrub increment it should 'pop' into live action. Every single ghost image can be resolved into a full clip to watch. I've also watched some people on Twitch playing and they never get it fully without prompting from chat.

I’m still playing this too and finding it really compelling. 

Think I have a good idea of what’s going on but not sure how the game ‘ends’ and what’s required to trigger the credits. Is it just a case of finding the right clip(s)?

Also did not know about the frame by frame thing - have just been scrubbing back and forth and it clicks eventually. 

Fuck sake. I triggered what I think may be the final scene of the game but

Spoiler

had to quickly X out of it as my 4 year-old came in the room and it looked like it was going to be violent. Achievement popped for 'Find out what happened to Marissa Marcel', unskipabble cutscene, then credits.

I didn't find out what happened to her at all!

Won't be able to play again now until tonight, ha.