Jump to content

Tinykin - 3D platforming with a soul


Rayn
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yep, this is a beauty. Wasn't even annoyed that I had to repeat the first proper level after playing the demo of it on PC earlier in the year. It nails the Chibi-Robo/Pikmin vibe and also has loads of neat little Toy Story/Small Soldiers style moments. Really hope it does well from the GamePass deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This looks great, never heard of it so thanks for pointing me in its direction. Bought it without even trying the demo, I only seem to be replaying my older games these day so it's nice to get something new.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was massively looking forward to this as I loved the demo and the full game didn't disappoint. I use past tense because I've finished it already. It isn't long but doesn't outstay it's welcome. Can't wait to see some speed runs. It has an almost Tony Hawk style flow to it at times where the best way to play is just to keep moving forward. It feel so fluid and satisfying to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a lot of fun (if super easy so far) - it reminds me of an N64 platformer crossed with Psychonauts 2 for some reason. Just something about the way it plays. The size of the levels are very Banjo-Tooie, although seemingly better designed. The Pikmin influences are enjoyable too. It’s an easy breezy time, a lovely game to unwind with. Based on the first proper level anyway, which took me an hour and a half to complete all the objectives in. I wonder if the challenge will amp up a bit - if it will start adding enemies and tricky platforming challenges. There’s certainly a place for that, but I rather like it as it is at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

This is a lot of fun (if super easy so far) - it reminds me of an N64 platformer crossed with Psychonauts 2 for some reason. Just something about the way it plays. The size of the levels are very Banjo-Tooie, although seemingly better designed. The Pikmin influences are enjoyable too. It’s an easy breezy time, a lovely game to unwind with. Based on the first proper level anyway, which took me an hour and a half to complete all the objectives in. I wonder if the challenge will amp up a bit - if it will start adding enemies and tricky platforming challenges. There’s certainly a place for that, but I rather like it as it is at the moment. 

It never got super-hard for me, in terms of execution, but finding everything is a different story. I am 8 'stars' short on one of the levels, got no bloody idea what I've missed. In another, I missed a whole section, which I found this morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is great, like a love letter to 90s 3d platformers but with the benefit of modern tech, super smooth motion and long, shimmer free sight lines.

 

Definitely think the Pikmin comparisons (which is what made me give it a go) are overplayed, but it turns out this is great fun anyway.

 

Another gem I wouldn't have played without a gamepass subscription.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a quick go last night and it’s lovely, but feels more like a Super Paper Mario/Pikmin hybrid than an all-out 3D platformer, and I didn’t find the character particularly satisfying to control (although sliding around on the soap is excellent).

 

Seems to have lots of hidden stuff, so I’m looking forward to pottering around on it a little more this evening!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Played though and finished the first world now. Just enjoying exploring and collecting. Only 97 pollen missing I think there in about 1h40mins from booting the game.

 

The only thing that annoys me is that the glide bubble should kick in if you hold the jump button. I've jumped off and forgotten to re-press it too many times.

 

I appreciate that the penalties for failure are so nonexistent so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Second level down in an hour or so. More good fun. Simple exploration.

 

I'd probably appreciate a bit more of a puzzle-y vibe. Maybe that will happen a little once more little thing types have been introduced.

 

Surprised at the performance though. Lots of slow down in some specific areas of levels on a Series X.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Second level down in an hour or so. More good fun. Simple exploration.

 

I'd probably appreciate a bit more of a puzzle-y vibe. Maybe that will happen a little once more little thing types have been introduced.

 

Surprised at the performance though. Lots of slow down in some specific areas of levels on a Series X.

 

Some of the puzzles on the latter levels are a bit more convoluted but they never get challenging, it's all down to exploration. 

 

The performance issues seems to be related to the fluffy towels, it brings performance down to 20 ish fps (ballpark estimate). Funny thing is, it's not as noticable on the Series S so perhaps it's only when running in 4K? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Rayn said:

 

Some of the puzzles on the latter levels are a bit more convoluted but they never get challenging, it's all down to exploration. 

 

The performance issues seems to be related to the fluffy towels, it brings performance down to 20 ish fps (ballpark estimate). Funny thing is, it's not as noticable on the Series S so perhaps it's only when running in 4K? 

 

I have been playing on an oldish PC and the performance has been flawless playing at 1080p so maybe it is 4k related?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do the museum collectables work in this? I've completed the three optional objectives in the first level and been rewarded with artifacts, but they don't seem to have appeared in the museum and there's nothing for me to pick up and take there. What am I missing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

How do the museum collectables work in this? I've completed the three optional objectives in the first level and been rewarded with artifacts, but they don't seem to have appeared in the museum and there's nothing for me to pick up and take there. What am I missing?

 

Hmm, I never paid any attention to the artifacts, I just collected them but I just checked based on this post and I can confirm that all the artifacts are in my museum. I dunno if that's due to me completing the campaign, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

How do the museum collectables work in this? I've completed the three optional objectives in the first level and been rewarded with artifacts, but they don't seem to have appeared in the museum and there's nothing for me to pick up and take there. What am I missing?

 

The ones I collected are in my museum after completing the first 2 levels. When the quests completed there was an item to collect but you just walk into it and that's it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.