Late to the party...finding great games long after their release

Captain Kelsten

Great post! Positivity is always so welcome. and yes! It's never too late to find an amazing yet older game!

For me - rather than being upset about emulation or 50hz or whatever - I downloaded Abe's Oddysee off the new PSN thingy. 

Never played it before and it's amazing! I cleared a huge amount of it in one sitting. 

It's better than Another World. 😁

23 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Great post! Positivity is always so welcome. and yes! It's never too late to find an amazing yet older game!

For me - rather than being upset about emulation or 50hz or whatever - I downloaded Abe's Oddysee off the new PSN thingy. 

Never played it before and it's amazing! I clear a huge amount of it in one sitting. 

It's better than Another World. 😁

Oh man, Abe's Oddysee is a stone-cold classic. Hello. Hello. Follow me. Follow me. Parrrp. Huh huh huh. OM NI NI NOM NI NI OM NI NI NOM.

It has been Hunt: Showdown for me, and very recently. I love an online game that offers a pretty unique experience and Hunt offers that in spades. It's tough and has a steep learning curve, but nothing is more satisfying that clawing out a win, especially if you take down a few other hunters while doing it.

3 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

It has been Hunt: Showdown for me, and very recently. I love an online game that offers a pretty unique experience and Hunt offers that in spades. It's tough and has a steep learning curve, but nothing is more satisfying that clawing out a win, especially if you take down a few other hunters while doing it.

Hunt was one I got into last year around the same time as Dead by Daylight and yeah, it can be an amazing game. The sound design is next level, best in the business stuff. The fact the 'best' players can tell what gun other people are using just by the sound it makes from across the map is incredible. Personally I found the game a tad unfair at times but when the stars align and the game is going your way, it can be absolutely brilliant. 

The games I'm currenlty playing are all things I've had for ages but have only recently given them the time to get into them:

Sonic 3 and Knuckles - I spent some time on this last weekend and absolutely loved it. Really fun, polished gameplay and some fantastic level design. Hopeing to finish it this weekend.

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed - Probably one of the best kart racer I've ever played. Excellent handling, great sense of speed, brilliant track design and loads of variety. Definitely better than Mario Kart in terms of signle-player experience.

Shadow of War - A fun Assasin's Creed like open world game with magic and monsters. It's really fun to dip into for short bursts, just clearing a few icons off the map and chopping up some orcs. Possibly a bit too big and long, so I may never make it to the end.

Good thread - I like the patient gamers subreddit for these recent takes on older games. I’ll never be able to keep up with new releases so my gaming is nearly always older stuff. 

I recently bought a Switch for the first time, and a handful of the top titles. Trying to 100% Super Mario 3D World has completely gripped me though, to the point where I haven’t even tried Bowser’s Fury yet let alone Odyssey or BOTW.

I haven’t played a Mario in years and it’s reawakened similar vibes to the SNES era for me. It’s easy enough to complete but has some bastard levels that ramp up difficulty enough, and a ‘cheat’ power up if you continue to die on a level. I’m not normally someone who cares about 100% in anything - I’m just compelled to do so as I’m not ready to move on to something else. 

Due to things like the expenditure thread and the abstinence thread, I've been trying to restrict my spending to games that I'm genuinely interested in, and a lot of other games get left behind. On top of that, I do like occasionally doing "blind" first-time playthroughs of much older retro stuff. Some highlights for me so far this year:

Hades (played June 2022)

Hades-reborn.jpg

At the time I wasn't really bothering with Epic Games Store because I don't like games being split across so many accounts and storefronts (yes, I've since been told that things like GOG Galaxy manage these things), so this meant that I missed out on all of the times it went on sale. I was looking at Steam discounts for a while, and the 40% discount during the Summer Sale tipped me over the edge. I'm not sure if I really need to "pitch" it to anyone at this point, but broadly-speaking it's an isometric action roguelike thing with satisfying combat, gorgeous presentation and great writing (and voice acting). A generous trickle of permanent benefits prevent things from being too frustrating, and there are enough skills and weapons to satisfy anyone's playstyle. Also, yes, I'm sorry for leaving it this long. :P 

Final Fantasy V Advance (played April 2022)

2-FF5UpdateEight02.png

I've kind of picked up this habit of playing one or two mammoth retro things each year, and even though V may not be as popular as VI and VII, I'd heard enough interesting things about it to want to try it myself. I settled on the GBA release because some PS1 stuff can feel clunky and I didn't really want to roll the dice with a SNES fan-tran. Anyway, even though the journey didn't feel quite as awesome as something like VI, I really enjoyed its take on the job system. By allowing each character to take an ability from a learned job whilst learning another job, you end up with fun combinations of skills - mages who physically attack like monks, or thieves who can cast summons. It's that special feeling where you're given so much opportunity to customise things that you feel that much more responsible when things don't go to plan, and keeping something as an ability means that you're less scared of trying a new job because you still have something from the old job. I think overall VI is still my favourite in the series, but I really admired the "freedom" offered here.

It is a good thread because whilst I’d love to play games all day every day, life gets in the way, and I have to plan carefully with my time. 

Bearing that in mind the Switch is great because I can fit more time in if I go down the portable route, and recently I’ve been playing nothing but Switch games. 

Fire Emblem Three Houses. Some of the best TBS/RPG gameplay out there. No one does this type of game better. 

Mario Golf Super Rush. Ok so maybe not the greatest in the series but still damn good fun. 

Astral Chain. An absolute classic, not to be missed by any fans of action games. 

Triangle Strategy. Not that old but I fear it’s been overlooked a little this year, and whilst it’s a bit heavy going at times the gameplay is excellent and it looks gorgeous. 

52 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Fire Emblem Three Houses. Some of the best TBS/RPG gameplay out there. No one does this type of game better.

I played this very recently too, it took me a couple of false starts to get into it (there's a LOT of Persona-like social stuff in there, when I thought it was going to be mostly turn-based strategy) but I absolutely loved it by the end.

I also played Final Fantasy XIII-2 on Game Pass, having played and enjoyed the first one a while back. It's a lighter, more experimental affair that's quite open-ended and I liked it a lot, despite the intensely sappy main characters and the frankly bizarre musical choices.

I played through Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition about a month ago.

I enjoyed it a lot; movement felt great to control. Although there were some frustrating difficulty spikes - yep, mostly in the escape sequences!

Even though I wasn't grinding, I did find that the rate at which I could afford to buy upgrades seemed to be outpacing my progression through the game. So much so, that I held off on buying the last few upgrades (like the triple jump and underwater breathing) because it felt like cheating to have access to those at the point they first became available.

After completing the game, and mopping the last orbs and secrets (I did have to look up online how to get a couple of them), my final stats were 14hr36m and 645 deaths.

Unfortunately the game had a tendency to crash on the title screen, upon pressing A to choose a save file. And I don't just mean dumping me out of the game and back to the dashboard - it powered off the whole console (Xbox One X)! :( (Here's someone else reporting the issue.)

I'm not sure if I'll go for the speedrun and Hard difficulty achievements - but there's no chance I'll try and do a no deaths run (you must be joking)!

I intend to play through Ori and the Will of the Wisps at some point.

I'm with the OP on Prey - I completely missed it, until I stumbled on a thread in here. Rllmuk often clues me in on stuff I missed first time around.

Control was another one. It's much harder to keep track of all the great games than it used to be - and the GOTY editions are drying up, so it's harder to pick up on top tier games you might have missed.

Hollow Knight is one where I completely missed out on the Kickstarter and it was really only a few years later that I picked it up. 

I bitterly regret not being involved in the KS - because I'd have backed the fucker to the hilt. 

Metroidvanias have never been something I've been into, but HK is the exception. I've yet to complete the thing, but I've put in around 50-60 hours I guess because I just fucking love the game so much. I've never once felt like my deaths have been anything other than my fault, and whilst the air has been turned blue from time to time, it's always got that 'just one more go' that all the very best things I like have.

However, I'm exceedingly proficient in killing the Mantis Lords. By fuck, I killed them this time without getting hit. And I feel great about it. 

It's one of my GOATs that's for sure.

Picked up Bloodstained on Xbox at Game, brand new £6.99.  not entirely inkeeping with the thread as I previously platinumed it on PS4.  But it's still awesome and a fresh install reminds you just how much free stuff they added over the following years .  I can't recommend it enough , especially at that price.

Ace Combat done and dusted, what a ride!

I’ve moved onto Shadow of War now. Shadow of Mordor was one of my favourite games last generation, I completed it on all three platforms I think?!

Anyway Shadow of War didn’t grab me at first, a couple of years back, but now I'm hooked! I love the combat and the fan service. 

I made a mistake… I bought a second hand PS4 Pro so I could catch up on the exclusives I’ve missed (namely Bloodborne).

Just when I was making good progress in Shadow of War as well 🤦‍♂️

Bloodborne is stunning, presentation wise it’s up there with Sekiro, IMO vastly superior to the Dark Souls series.

I’ve still not completed Elden Ring, Sekiro or Dark Souls Remaster 🤦‍♂️ but now I have Bloodborne fighting for my attention…

I'm in the same boat but bigger. A few months ago my two boys pooled their birthday money together and bought a ps4 (I threw in an extra $100 for the pro so it would look good on our oled).

Primarily a Nintendo man, I find myself with a PS for the first time since the original system.

I'm now awash with the best games I've ever played: MSG V: the Phantom Pain, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Resident Evil 2 Remake, The Last Guardian, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and more, and more.

In a preverse twist, the games enter a contest with each other competing for my time, and like with war, no one wins. Nothing is played; nothing is completed.

... except for Sekiro. I play and I lose and lose.

I got Yakuza 0 at launch, played it for a bit then got distracted by the one-two combo of Breath of the Wild and Persona 5. Forgot about it until covid and lockdown made me go through my backlog. Wow, what a way to spend over 100 hours. One of my favourite games of all time now.

The Forza serieseseses. I was a Gran Turismo fan and had stuck with PlayStation as my main console for three generations. I'd dismissed Forza as a poor GT clone, having given the first one a very short go*. I got a modded 360 after the Xbox One came out which had Forza Motorsport 4 and the first Forza Horizon on it. They blew my mind and immediately made me a fan. I was most surprised by how much I liked FH, given that I really didn't like open world type games. Strictly an Xbox guy now.

I played Fortnite for the first time recently and really enjoyed it. Just don't have the time to play it much, though.

*I had a Yod@box that I barely used because, despite having fairly big hands, I found the OG Xbox pads too big to be comfortable. I didn't realise that not only did they come in a smaller size, I actually owned two of the smaller ones. 

• 1 month later...

I just started playing Middle Earth: Shadow of War.

I'd avoided it for ages as I'd enjoyed and had my fill with its particular gameplay in the previous game, and has no interest in continuing the story, as it was already bobbins and the sequel by all accounts was worse in that department.

However, I had a real hankering for replaying it recently after the discussion about the games in the Rings of Power thread, so figured I'd give the sequel a try after all and see what the fuss was about.

The story and of course Shelob aspects are exactly as bad as I expected, but I've been mostly treating it like a parallel universe version of LotR where it was never actually written and the world has only ever appeared in games. Because it is otherwise just typical videogame fantasy story fare. I honestly wish the game was set in the Legacy of Kain Universe though or something, as I feel that would really work well thematically with the whole possession and draining abilities going on.

Anyway, it's way too big, too bloated, too much busywork for the sake of busywork, and feels not as tight mechanically as I remember the original being, but I haven't been able to put it down.

It's just lots of fun setting a target, exploiting their weaknesses, and basically just enjoying all their stupid and sometimes hilarious dialogue between you and rivals and each other. It's all very context sensitive to a degree I just don't think you get even in recent games.

I've had orc bodyguards running along with me, only to get into a fight with another one and shock! I get stabbed in the back by my own buddy with some appropriate trash talking dialogue. Or I go to kill a unknown captain who it turns out was the blood brother of one of my minions, so later on in some dank cave somewhere he rocks up and calls me out for it.

Then that's quite apart from all the interactions you can get from how you kill them or how they kill you and what they are named.

I had one captain who's level was too high for me to possess, so I shamed him, but it broke his mind. I met him later and his dialogue was simply "woo, woo, WOO!" So I broke him and naturally added him to my army as my body guard. He was particularly funny when taken along for a siege, charging forwards going "woo woo woo woo!"

Sieges in particular are a great set piece, with what really feels like assaulting a keep with an army.

The Nemesis system really is quite special, making it so much more a pity we'll never see anything like it anywhere else. 

It's visually quite rough now too, but that does mean playing it at the highest settings in nearly flawless 4k, so it's a bit like glimpsing what the future looked like if you had a monster PC 5-6 years ago.

EDIT: it's currently on Game Pass which was what pushed me take a punt. Yay! I'm actually glad I played it after all the microtransaction guff was removed. If it had had all that stuff I would have dropped it like a hot rock guaranteed - you can still see evidence of just how egregious it used to be back on release day.

I lost interest in Shadow of War. I might pick it up again in the future, but I’m not keen on the whole “take control of the Uruk leaders and build an army” thing. It’s pretty repetitive. 

I played and completed the story in Days Gone, which I really enjoyed, but it was very long and was starting to outstay its welcome.

Batman Arkham Asylum has had me hooked, I’ve finished the story - the ending was batshit crazy! Just finishing off the side missions now, but I won’t be doing the Riddler stuff.

I’ve picked up some older driving games… Gravel was cheap and a bit rough around the edges, a poor man’s Dirt5 IMO. Split Second was also very cheap and while it doesn’t boast any improvements running it on a Series X, it’s hella fun, fast and fairly challenging. Also picked up Drive Club today for £4, but not had a chance to play it yet.

Pretty much all the From games have been put on the back burner, possibly until I complete Elden Ring.

I keep having a good laugh with the funny dialogue. The story aspect is very disrespectful of its source material but the orcs are just such fun to be around. Just had a story mission where my "Woo woo" orc was tied up and needed rescuing. I realised because when I was creeping around trying to free my followers I heard him going "woo, woo. Woo." to himself. I was like, noo they caught Flogg the Ruined!

He's getting made Overlord ASAP.

Made him Overlord and was happy.

Only, I failed a siege and he got captured (thanks endlessly stun locking area effect ranged enemies! Seriously, some of the high level captains are just straight up bullshit and all the combat system rhythm goes out the window).

Anyway, I then botched my rescue attempt and poor Flogg got killed by the business end of a thrown knife while he was tied up, "woo woo"ing to himself all the way through everything.

And he ain't coming back. Genuinely the saddest gaming moment I've had in years. :lol:

I recently played through Journey to Silius on the Switch. I thought it was great and one of those run and gun/action platformers that work so well on the NES and just feel really good and satisfying to play. Love the levels, art style and music. Will play again.

I have finished Shadow of War now - did pretty much everything in it bar equipment challenges and fight pits, so as near 100% as I can be bothered with. A fair bit of busywork there as per standard open world collectathons, but it was only about 30 hours including all that.

But what makes it and the previous game special is the Nemesis system. There's nothing else like it, and for me personally it elevates it above any other games of its ilk (i.e. "open world" collect-em-ups). I'd put it above say, Arkham Knight, any of the Assassin's Creed games, and maybe even Horizon Zero Dawn, purely because of the sheer number of unique interactions and player stories that are generated by the game in so many new and interesting ways.

I enjoyed it very much in the first Shadow of Mordor game and the sequel basically expands upon and improves it (if not necessarily improving the other parts of the game)

This video goes into detail about it for the curious:

I think the nemesis system is great but too overblown in the 2nd game. There are too many enemies to keep track of, too many orcs that you supposedly had a run in with but a lot of the time I just couldn't remember my first encounter with them. I'd rather have had 10 actual nemesis enemies than 50+ with dialogue that I can't recall.