Should Immortality be an Edge 10?

dumpster

In the 48 years that Edge magazine has been doing their thing, only a handful of the greatest games ever released have been deemed worthy of their coveted 10 out of 10 review score, along with Bayonetta and Rock Band 3.

Super Mario 64 (1996)

Gran Turismo (1997)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)

Half-Life 2 (2004)

Halo 3 (2007)

The Orange Box (2007)

Super Mario Galaxy (2007)

Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)

LittleBigPlanet (2008)

Bayonetta (2009)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)

Rock Band 3 (2010)

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)

The Last of Us (2013)

Grand Theft Auto V (2013)

Bayonetta 2 (2014)

Mary Kate and Ashley (2014)

Bloodborne (2015)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)

Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

Red Dead Redemption (2018)

Dreams (2020)

Elden Ring (2022)

A potted history there of the greatest games ever created, as well as Bayonetta and Rock Band 3. 

Edge have awarded Immortality their coveted and rarely given 10 out of 10 score. 

The Edge 10 is more than a review score.  It's a badge of honour held out only for the finest games, and Bayonetta and Rock Band 3.  For example, I've played Immortally for a couple of hours now and I read ACE magazine, who I believe would have awarded it 957.  Personally I feel it's more of a 952, but I'm only 2 hours in. Some of the comments in the main thread make me think it could be a 960 or ever 963.  But for me, the predicted interest curve  would be a red line that starts high up but then goes lower over time.  

The same thread makes we feel that GamePro could have awarded any one of these:

gamepro_guy.jpg

What do you think? Is this really an Edge 10, or what? 

Wow, has it really been 5 years since the last Edge 10? That’s the longest there’s ever been between top marks in the mag’s history. 

I haven’t finished it yet, nor have I read the review yet - although I’m going to skip to the end and do so now, just to see what they say - so I’m going to sit on fence for the moment. 

But I’m leaning towards yes - for reasons I’ll illustrate once I’ve finished it. 

You mean:

Elite (1984)

Exile (1988)

Super Mario Bros. (1985)

GoldenEye 007 (1997)

Advance Wars (2001)

Resident Evil 4 (2005)

Drop7 (2009)

Red Dead Redemption (2010)

Super Street Fighter IV (2010)

Dark Souls (2011)

Now I'm off to try Drop 7, never heard of it.

Obvious corruption at play as Edge staff enjoy their coke and hookers after Sam gets a sweet monthly column deal and fucks off just in time to snag a 10. ;) Kidding aside, Immortality does look neat, and the interactivity sounds like something genuinely new and original, so I can see why they might give it a high score.

Oh, and here’s my list of 10s they missed. (Again, I’m not being serious here, obvs. I mean, I wouldn’t give all of my favourite games a 10…)

Yes it definitely deserves its 10. The fact that it already has three dedicated threads merely days after its release, that it both draws people in and repels them, deliberately or otherwise, is an amazing thing. 

And it’s not just an Edge 10 lots of other outlets have awarded it top marks. 

There is nothing else like Immortality. The discussion currently is like, just what the hell is it, is it even a game. I welcome this kind of discussion and find the responses from people who don’t like it just as fascinating as though who do.

@CrichStandhas perhaps been one of the more vocal dissenters, but even their analysis demonstrates the internal wrangling caused by playing it, and trying to work it out. 

I hope and imagine that all kinds of hidden stuff and theories will emerge over the coming months and years.

But the main reason it deserves its ten is that there is just nothing else like it. It’s revolutionary. 

Just now, the_debaser said:

It’s great if your idea of entertainment is sitting there watching hours of boring video. May as well stick on Netflix and ask it to play you something shite every few minutes. 

Does Netflix have a functional frame by frame scrubbing feature along with match cutting hyperlinks? Didn’t think so.