Should Immortality be an Edge 10?

dumpster

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

If this is a 10, I'm in the wrong job and need to start making games. 

If this is a 10, I could still work at my job and knock something up that’s equally revolutionary whilst taking a toilet break.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think the only question we can ever ask when talking about an Edge 10 is whether it was a bung or a printing error (01) that led to LittleBigPlanet (2008) getting a 10

If Skyward Sword can get a 10 then anything is in with a chance.

19 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Did the last two games feature the match cutting and scrubbing? That’s the games USP imo. 

That's an interesting way of describing rewinding and cross-referencing, both of which Telling Lies had.

3 minutes ago, PyramidFace said:

That's an interesting way of describing rewinding and cross-referencing, both of which Telling Lies had.

I don’t know because I haven’t played it, match cutting is actually a film technique though, which I believe is new to these games from what I’ve read. 

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think the only question we can ever ask when talking about an Edge 10 is whether it was a bung or a printing error (01) that led to LittleBigPlanet (2008) getting a 10

What have you got against playing 57 different versions of 1-1 with shit platforming physics?

(should probably cross post this to the Mario Maker threads as well :lol: )

I’m not convinced that clicking a button to advance to yet another dull video which has a similar shot to the video you were just watching is actually a game. If it is it’s an amazingly shit one. I still haven’t read a convincing argument as to why this is actually any good. 

11 hours ago, Stanley said:

Does Netflix have a functional frame by frame scrubbing feature along with match cutting hyperlinks? Didn’t think so. 

The irony being that if you have a Netflix sub, you’ll be able to play this using it.

Ill post more in the other thread but it’s not a ten for me.  I can see why people like it, but the mechanics of the game just do not work for me so to say it has earned it based off of those does not hold up in my opinion.

As for the story, I’ve seen enough that I’m pretty sure what’s going on, I’ve gotten credits to roll and everything.  Apparently I’ve uncovered less than half the footage though still, but sack going back to find the rest as the mechanics of the game don’t make it particularly interesting to do.  I’m sure because of that there’s stuff I missed so out of curiosity I looked on YouTube - there’s not much up for it yet, but sure enough there was something I’d missed early on for a reason I won’t spoil but the game makes it pretty easy to.   Like I said, I know enough to be pretty sure of most of what’s gone on, but honestly…..not really much of a pay off.  I actually did enjoy piecing together what happens in the films though, but the story around it didn’t grab me.  And the performances are great.  It entertained me for a while but was disappointing in some ways too.

It does make me laugh that the x box achievements are all written in caps as if they’re being excitedly shouted, but also phrased in a way that suits someone excitedly shouting them.

23 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

I love how people engaged with this in good faith despite all the piss takes.

I’ve listened to the Back Page pod and the skyward sword one isn’t a pisstake! He genuinely liked it, would you believe. 

On 03/09/2022 at 07:43, dumpster said:

You mean:

Elite (1984)

Exile (1988)

Super Mario Bros. (1985)

GoldenEye 007 (1997)

Advance Wars (2001)

Resident Evil 4 (2005)

Drop7 (2009)

Red Dead Redemption (2010)

Super Street Fighter IV (2010)

Dark Souls (2011)

Now I'm off to try Drop 7, never heard of it.

I loved Drop7 back in the day but to me there’s something off about the feel of it ever since one of the early updates after Zynga bought it.  I think they just tweaked the speed slightly but enough that it broke the spell that game had over me.

Considering they chose to revise their score for Resident Evil 4 retrospectively, I'm curious if any of the games which initially got [10] would now be retrospectively removed from the hall of fame as if you can mark stuff up, then surely you can mark stuff down aswell?

Spoiler

Giving this a 10 is an absolute mockery. 8 maybe. But 10. I mean seriously. In twenty years when I sit down with my grandkids and show them the greatest games of our era. 

Zelda, Mario, resident evil.

Then some game where you watch grainy clips from three shit films and rewind videos so Annie Lennox pops up on some vids. 

How is that even comparable to the others. 

Mod Edit: hiding spoilers.