How do you manage your game library?

SMD

Alright, we're all nerds, we can own this. What do you use to manage your game libraries and what do you recommend?

Over the years I've tried Delicious Library, How Long To Beat, Grouvee, RAWG, Libib, GOG Galaxy and now I'm giving Playnite a try.

I thought Playnite might be the answer since it lets you sync from multiple services and it pulls your Switch digital titles (something no other service seems to do at the moment) but it has this annoying thing where if you have multiples of the same title (for example you got it on Gold and Plus) it'll list them separately. Also I can't figure out how to change it to PAL art.

GOG Galaxy would've been great but PSN broke some of its functionality so it doesn't track completion or hours played any more.

I liked Delicious Library because it let you scan anything in using barcodes but I think it's still Mac only and it's still hard to browse your library online.

HLTB is horribly manual but at least it tells you...how long it takes to beat the game.

Grouvee is almost entirely manual, RAWG is too to a lesser extent.

Looking forward to the spreadsheet admissions on here, feel free to justify why you love to do all that extra work.

I'm always interested in this because my current method is to sit and scroll through 400+ titles in my digital Playstation library, or the thousand or so games on Gamepass for about half an hour, and then load up Skyrim again and sneak around a cave dispatching bandits with a bow and arrow.

I will have to look into some of the services you've listed here (but I will still just play Skyrim probably). 

17 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I don't. Who's got the time? If a game I try has enough to it to grab my attention I'll play it until I've extracted all the fun I can from it then move on. Shit sits installed for ages untill I need the space and I'll uninstall it. I should just get rid of shit I haven't booted in months, because I'll never boot them.

I think what a lot of us struggle with is that there isn't enough time at all. Ever. We hold on to games and still buy new games with the vain optimistic idea that "we'll get around to them eventually". We won't. It's best just to accept there's vast, humongous chunks of our libraries that will never see the light of day and we should just leave them buried.

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together
Games played none can’t find the fun
See the list pile high
I'm crying

I’ve never heard of any of these services, are they just a list?

I had a spreadsheet I was using to keep track of my manga but that was more about tracking what I was buying and what I still needed. Now I’ve got most of it so I just have a lost on my phone of the 5-10 things I still need.

I don't keep track of all the games I own, but I do keep track of my backlog as well as the games I complete or abandon, plus the games I think sound interesting. I've used various different things over the years, but the most reliable and simple is just a Google Sheet with tabs for the different lists.

Below are my current 'To Play' and 'Played in 2022' lists, for example:

Screenshot_20220903-100253.png.04f3006f156f8de385a659401042f041.png

Screenshot_20220903-100424.thumb.png.dd70a7d31a4370613d5bcd3784118fef.png

There are lots of sites that are flashier, with each game's art and so on, but the convenience, simplicity and customisability of a spreadsheet suits me.

Having said that, I also have a Backloggd account, which I quite like, and is pretty simple to use. A few of us on here are Backloggd friends, and it's interesting to nosy in on what other people have on their lists.

Screenshot_20220903-100747.thumb.png.21cd011c083603f343b2452b807d3e48.png

I must admit, I really like fiddling with my game lists and nerding out with different filters and stuff. I look forward to updating it when I complete or buy a game 🤓. I've got similar things for books, films and TV programmes...

I have a similar approach to Jamie John, tracking the games I want to play but haven't got around to yet, although my sheet merely lists the format and a rough indicator of length (tiny, short, medium, long or epic).

I think over the years its main use has been to try and stop me buying games I've already been given away for free elsewhere.

When I buy a bunch of Steam games (like in a sale or something) I create a group for "recent purchases" so that it reminds me to make time for them. That's it.

DeRFNoV.jpg

E: this also applies to freebie offers, or Steam Secret Santas, etc.

How do I manage my game library?

1. Fill cupboard(s)

2. Fill drawers

3. Fill storage boxes and put them in the garage

4. (Digital) Lose track of everything I’ve bought, rediscover it years later and finish it off with a new found appreciation as I usually get to 60% complete (or less) and move on to something new

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

I don't. Chaos reigns.

This is it.

If Lutris actually worked right on the Steam Deck, I'd probably use that to tap into all the digital crap I've accumulated and know what is where. But it doesn't, so I don't.

I'll normally stuff games I currently want to play in a subsection on Steam - on SteamOS, you can mark games to show up in a dedicated Favourites menu, so that's nice when I completely ignore it and start another game.

A point of sorts, but since all these gamepass based things have become available games are pretty meaningless to me.   
Sure I play them!  but the excitement of buying a physical copy  and taking it home has completely evapourated. 

Its the same on Steam,  just a big list of crap.

Part of me wishes i could go back to buying physical games, but i sort of can't. 

Not unless a meat & 2 veg standard console gets released where you can only buy games physically.  Liike the Evercade i suppose,

I manage my games like any PC user does.

I buy things - install them, load them up, check if I can hit 60fps minimum with everything dialled all the way up on the settings screen and then never play further than 10 minutes no matter what the result is. It doesn't matter how massive the pile of virtually unplayed titles becomes - with the click of a 'collapse column' arrow I can fool myself into thinking that I'm not a fucking idiot.

Oh, and periodically I'll get massive hooked on a 2D pixel based game and play it for 200 hours on my GTX3080.

I tend to spend a depressingly ridiculous amount of time browsing page 1 of Discussion to see what people are blabbing about. If anything takes my fancy I’ll spend a load of time finding the best deals.

Then I’ll buy the game and never ever play it. 

I don't.

I don't care if I've bought something and forgotten about it (having played it to within 10 minutes of the end, having only played 10 minutes or having never played it at all).

I think of something I want to play or a type of game I want to play and I play that. Often it's influenced by whether I want a TV, portable or PC game. If I don't own it I find something similar or buy it. Maybe I already own something similar but if I don't think of it then meh I didn't think of it.

All my physical games are logged on CLZ Games, and are sorted on shelves for ease of discovery (grouped by platform and sorted alphabetically).

My digital games can fend for themselves (though GOG Galaxy helps keep the different PC services' games easily centrally accessible).

Badly, I was about to order BOTW the other day (kids have my original copy) but thought I should check I have enough space on the SD card to find I have BOTW cart in the Switch :o I have the case and everything, I dont recall buying it again…. I have quite a few duplicate games and no idea how it happens 🤨

In reality I dont own a huge amount of physical games, the kids have hundreds that were ‘mine’ but I do tend to have nostalgia cycles leading me to buy stuff ive bought many times before and then sold on… No idea on the digital collection, I own hundreds of games on Steam and haven’t owned a gaming PC in a decade so you can imagine what the Nintendo, Sony & MS collection is like…

keep track of your games, rate them, create wishlists, create groups, have stats about the kinds of games you own, why does anyone catalogue anything they have?

a lot of sites recommend you games based on your library and ratings too

I catalogue my stuff as it's useful when I a) need to sell things, as I can quickly see what I have, and b) want to check whether it's worth buying a game that I already own but can't remember the condition of (notably older games which I may only own the physical media for, not the box/manual); saves checking the shelves.

Plus knowing at a glance that I own 538 physical games is a nice way to shame myself.

I’m in the didn’t know this was a thing camp too.

I think I’d end up maintaining the list rather than playing anything if I went down this road. I find it tricky at the best of times to start playing something as it is

I keep creating new folders in which I put the games I'm currently playing.

TGpA4Yr.png

I started off just adding games to favourites but the favourites list got too long so I got rid.

I started a folder called "currently playing", then came "- now", and to make sure that the next folder appeared above it alphabetically it was given the name "- anow". The current folder is "- AAA playing".
If you've got a better system that requires less thought, energy and time, I'm all ears.