Every Kingdom Hearts game? Am I mad?

strider

Although I completed the original Kingdom Hearts many moons ago and own the GBA game I've never played any more because I always thought the story was supposed to be batshit crazy.

I've decided to rectify this and I received every single game on PS4 for my birthday. I've also got a £10 bet on to complete all the games by the end of the year. Will I do it? Who knows, but I'll give it a bloody good try.

If anyone wants to jump in on this crazy ride I'll be adding the add Twitter post and a little write up as I go.

36 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Do you have to play the first one again? Or indeed 1.5? Or both?

I've been tempted but it has been at the bottom of my JRPG catch up list because it's meant to be daft. 

I'm starting from the beginning but playing the best version so I'm on Kingdom Hearts Final first or whatever it's called.

1 minute ago, strider said:

Hmm, I didn't realise 358 and ReCoded weren't the full games. I'll check with my Twitter pal to see if the bet still stands, because the two games in question are quite expensive.

Or you could just give him the tenner now.

I bought kingdom hearts 2 when it first came out and decided to play it one evening after I got in from work. 

i was thoroughly enjoying myself and hadn’t noticed my girlfriend get in from work. She accusatorially asked what I was playing. I told her. She asked if I was ok. I said “yeah. Why?”.

she looked utterly confused and somewhat hurt and before she walked off to another room she said: “what would my friends say if they were here and saw you playing this?!”

she was accusing me of being some kind of demented pedophile. 

I’ve been too ashamed to play the game since. 

So I've checked and I'm good to simply go through The Story So Far Collection and Kingdom Hearts 3 as trying to make sense of the story is the main reason I wanted to attempt this.

Early impressions are that it looks exceptionally crisp with fantastic use of 3D sound (thanks to my Amp probably). I'm guessing the PS4 updates were tweaked to output 1080p but I'll probably need some clarification on that.

Almost immediately I was reminded of how shit the camera is in the game. It loves to roam and typically goes crazy as you get closer to buildings etc. At one point it would just start spinning and wouldn't stop. Luckily one of the quality-of-life improvements is to control the camera with the right stick so it does help a little.

You can see an example of the camera here when I get to Traversal Town.

I've now met up with Leon and I think this is one of the strengths of Square's game. While I'm not a huge fan of Final Fantasy, I know of enough of the characters and I did get into FF VIII so seeing characters like Leon is great. The models all look fantastic and the style reminds me of the later Disney Infinity models/games.

Once I'd bested Leon and wondered around the various districts I caught up with Donald and Goofy. They provide a lot of the game's comedy, even if it's based on rather weak narration and a large number of pratfalls. The essence of both characters really comes through and I love how they interact with Sora.

Of course, the downside of teaming up with Donald and Goofy is that they join you in combat and sadly, it's one of the most frustrating aspects of the game. The lock-on system, even with the new improvements is rarely up to the task, and, combined with that floating camera, things get disorientating very quickly. You'll often be hitting things you can't see and it rarely feels like you're locking onto the right things.

Look at this guy. There's only a few places you can lock on to him and they're not always reason to weak. Sora's skills feel quite limited at this stage and you're often reliant on the AI or Donald and Goofy. They're pretty good, but don't always help when needed. Selecting items and magic (when it turns up) is also a little fiddly.

Considering how much combat there is in Kingdom Hearts, I'm amazed it's lasted so long (I'm assuming the combat significantly improves in later games).

Right. That's it for the moment. I've done a little bit more, but thought I'd check this is easy to follow before I add more to it. 

One of the best things I remember about the first KH is the proto-ffxii-gambits system it uses for Donald and Goofy, where you can effectively program what you want them to do depending on circumstances (attack, heal etc). I thought it was absolute genius at the time although it was obviously improved upon in ffxii.

12 hours ago, beakbeak said:

I bought kingdom hearts 2 when it first came out and decided to play it one evening after I got in from work. 

i was thoroughly enjoying myself and hadn’t noticed my girlfriend get in from work. She accusatorially asked what I was playing. I told her. She asked if I was ok. I said “yeah. Why?”.

she looked utterly confused and somewhat hurt and before she walked off to another room she said: “what would my friends say if they were here and saw you playing this?!”

she was accusing me of being some kind of demented pedophile. 

I’ve been too ashamed to play the game since. 

Is there anything like that in there? I thought it was just a bunch of kids with big hair in Disneyland. 

I keep worrying someone is going to walk in when playing FF 13 because of that clearly a 14 year old with next to nowt on.

It's the worst thing about JRPGs. "You don't appreciate how good this game is. Dragon Quest is a classic." "Why is that girl in a bunny costume?" "erm... tradition?"

8 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Is there anything like that in there? I thought it was just a bunch of kids with big hair in Disneyland.

I don't recall so. The only character I can think of is Kairi? But I don't remember her being sexualised or anything.

I only completed the first two games and not the spin-offs. I actually really enjoyed them. The first one is frustrating in that you can miss stuff and the respective galaxies eventually disappear meaning you can't go back. The Gummi Ship segments were shite as well.

KH2 I remember doing everything - maxed out character levels, all the best weapons...everything. Beating Sephiroth felt good because that guy is hard as fuck in this game with about a billion life bars and single moves that just end you more or less right away. I think the sole thing I struggled with to get 100% was the collsseum battles where I always fell a few battles from the very end no matter how hard I tried. When you started having to take down FF characters it got tough.

I've always wanted to go back and play the rest but there are so many spin-offs, and ports that it confused the hell out of me. What order are you supposed to play the series in? And what do all these Final Mixes actually DO?

10 hours ago, AK Bell said:

I keep worrying someone is going to walk in when playing FF 13 because of that clearly a 14 year old with next to nowt on.

It's the worst thing about JRPGs. "You don't appreciate how good this game is. Dragon Quest is a classic." "Why is that girl in a bunny costume?" "erm... tradition?"

I think it was just the fact that a grown man was playing a game with children and cartoon characters in. Whatever. 

did I mention the fact that I was furiously masturbating whilst wearing Donald Duck cosplay? 

10 hours ago, beakbeak said:

I think it was just the fact that a grown man was playing a game with children and cartoon characters in. Whatever. 

did I mention the fact that I was furiously masturbating whilst wearing Donald Duck cosplay? 

It's not quite Epic Mickey, the dirty sod squirting all over the place.

21 hours ago, AK Bell said:

The unfortunate trade-off there is that the only Persona game you ever get to play is Eternal Punishment because most of your party members in that game are young adults at the very least. ;) 

Powering on.

One of the things I do love about the game is how well it taps into the lore of each movie. The levels are instantly iconic and they look fantastic with well-chosen cameos from key characters, even if they're usually given little to do.

Alice has now been kidnapped and we're heading off to the next world to find her. I should probably clarify that I played this game originally when my daughter was only a few years old and she'd often watch it with me and absolutely loved it. I dare say the main reason I'm doing this playthrough is to recapture a little of that magic. Anyway this gummi sections are shit. They're not enjoyable at all.

Now this is more like it! I do feel like Kingdom Hearts is very much like the Lego games in that you'll get more mileage out of them if you like the original movie that the game or Kingdom Hearts world is based on. I absolutely adore the Tarzan movie and again it's largely due to my daughter. I used to sing her all the songs to get her to sleep.

One confusing part of the game is it's not always clear where you're supposed to go next, so I've already started to spend a lot of time simply running aimlessly through the level in the hope of triggering a cutscene, which happened here.

One notable thing about this stage as you can see in the above shot is that Tarzan joins you as a playable character. It's a neat touch as it allows you more strategy when facing bosses like this rather ace one.

Anyway, we've saved all of the poor gorillas and we're being advised to head back to Traversal Town. I wonder what we'll find there?

I'm quite a way ahead, but here's what's happened so far.

I've headed back to Traverse Town and me Merlin and the fairy godmother and got new information on the adventure. New areas have opened up and I need to get to them.

Kingdom Hearts' main strength is its amazing presentation and this book of 100 Hundred Acre Wood is incredible. As many will know new locations open up as you explore worlds and find new pages. You'll then revisit key moments from the films and take part in decent minigames. A lovely touch.

Riku is being manipulated by Sleeping Beauty's evil Queen and you just know he's going to be stitched up. Poor, gullible Riku.

Try as I might I just can't get around the Gummi stuff. It's absolutely naff, makes no sense and I'm no better off understanding how it works. The shoot-em-up sections are terribly poor as well. All in all I could do without it.

We're in Agrabah and Kingdom Hearts' confusing level design is really starting to come to the forefront. I'm not very good in 3D games at the best of times and I find it so confusing to navigate.

Still, I've got my first Summon and its Simba, from one of my favourite Disney films. It's a lovely callback to the film and he does a lot of damage, replacing your two helper characters.

Jafar is now up and he's a pretty easy boss and doesn't offer to much of a challenge at all. What a shame.

But wait, he's now turned into an evil genie just like in the film. This is a decent boss fight as the level alters as you chase after Iago who has stolen the lamp. Beat it up enough times and you'll send the genie packing and ride out of danger on a magic carpet.

We're now in Monstro's stomach and if I'm honest I've taken hardly any pictures from this stage. It's a truly confusing layout of screens and I stumbled by accident to where I needed to go. It's easily the weakest world so far and I didn't enjoy it at all. It doesn't help that I don't like Pinochhio, either as a film or a character.

Meanwhile Riku has Kairi but she's being affected by the heartless and he's being manipulate by the Queen. He's heart is in the right place, but as the queen warns, jealousy will allow the heartless to consume you.

Yes. I love The Little Mermaid so I've been itching to get to this level. It's worth nothing that the animation team have really nailed all the characters. They all look spot on and there's no dodgy modelling at all. Granted, Disney was probably a pain during the approval process but it really pays off.

Sadly, these underwater stages have some of the worst combat sections. Kingdom Hearts' combat isn't great at the best of times, but adding a whole new axis just makes things disorientating. It's a pain getting to dropped items as well as they rarely float in place.

Still it ends with a good two-stage boss fight. You first have to defeat the cauldron that Ursula throws potions into and then you have to take her out when she turns into a gargantuan monster. God knows how the PS2 managed that fight, must have pushed the machine to breaking point.

That's enough for now. More soon.

I've only just noticed this thread, but I'd love to see how you get on. I bought Final Mix collection years ago with the aim of doing exactly what you are, and I think I made it some way through Kingdom Hearts II before giving up. I think Re: Chain of Memories just burned me out to be honest, but I was also finding KHII surprisingly tough. I might give it another shot one day if I can be arsed.

13 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I've only just noticed this thread, but I'd love to see how you get on. I bought Final Mix collection years ago with the aim of doing exactly what you are, and I think I made it some way through Kingdom Hearts II before giving up. I think Re: Chain of Memories just burned me out to be honest, but I was also finding KHII surprisingly tough. I might give it another shot one day if I can be arsed.

I think Re: Chain Of Memories is up next. So I'd imagine I'll start that later this week.