Every Kingdom Hearts game? Am I mad?

strider

Is the actual game of 358/2 Days included in these re-release/remixes? Because I saw one of the previous collections where it was just the cut-scenes and no game. I remember playing it briefly on the DS but not enjoying it at all, certainly nowhere near as much as the "main" console games. But I still think it would be odd to not have the game at all in a re-release.

32 minutes ago, megamixer said:

Is the actual game of 358/2 Days included in these re-release/remixes? Because I saw one of the previous collections where it was just the cut-scenes and no game. I remember playing it briefly on the DS but not enjoying it at all, certainly nowhere near as much as the "main" console games. But I still think it would be odd to not have the game at all in a re-release.

It’s 3 hours worth of movies apparently 

1 hour ago, megamixer said:

It's just the cutscenes, remastered with better graphics into what's basically a movie.

And onward!

We're at Halloween Town and the difficulty is starting to ramp up a little bit now. Jack Skellington is pretty strong and it's interesting that you don't seem to lose levels on Goofy or Donald when you're using the guest characters.

There's so much love poured into this game, it's silly. Initially I found this area to be quite confusing to navigate but once I found the switch in the graveyard every started to come together.

It's nice to see the game doing something a little different with this boss, but it's a gruelling fight because you've only got a few moments to hit Oogie Boogie. I had to do this several times before I worked out the knack to defeating him.

And defeat him I did. I've not mentioned it yet, but I love the dramatic slowdown and blur effect that happens once you defeat the boss. Has this been taking from the Final Fantasy series? I can't remember for the life of me as I've only properly played 1 and VIII.

Oh dear, Oogie Boogie is back and he's now gigantic. This is relatively straightforward and you just need to take out all the globs. Unfortunately some of them are quite fiddly to get to as Sora often falls off the side of platforms when he's fighting enemies.

It's back to more fun as we meet up with Tigger and I play a new minigame where you have to protect Rabbit's carrots. Simple, but quite charming.

Neverland, like Monstro is another confusing world with annoying level design. Fighting your shadow is a nice touch and there's some decent character development for Riku as well. He's well and truly gone over to the dark side.

God the combat in Kingdom Hearts is so fucking confusing. I press buttons and stuff happens. I don't know how it happens and I still can't work out how to counter enemy attacks and I've been playing it for around 16 hours by this point.

Okay, so this is where I've really messed up. I didn't do the arena earlier because I thought you needed the yellow trinity to move the block. As a result I buggered off doing the other worlds looking for this yellow trinity, not realising you get it when you defeat Hercules.

Anyway, I also triggered another point in the game that makes all the heartless super tough and now Cloud and co are absolute pigs to defeat. I can't touch him and I'm on level 43 or something. Luckily, it doesn't look like you need to seal the keyhole to complete the game so I'm getting on with it.

I've got to the last world and lost the keyblade to Riku. Donald and Goofy have gone off to join them, so I'm never watching any of their cartoons again. The bastard turncoats!

I've not forgotten this, just been distracted by my PS5.

Hollow Bastion is probably the worst world yet. The enemies suddenly ramp out and the room layouts become even more confusing and tedious. There's a really dull library sequence where you're lugging books around and it's not really fun.

And holy balls but this boss is tough. She took a few attempts and then…

She turned into a big ass dragon. Of course, I was predicting this because I've watched the movie countless times before, but I wasn't prepared for how ridiculously hard this fight was. It took a lot of attempts, a lot of coffee and a lot of swearing.

The story continues and it's now clear that Riku has been taken over by the very person whose notes you have been searching for. He's apparently from the same world as Cloud and Co, so does that mean the Final Fantasy games are all set in the same MCU-styled universe?

Anyway these princess were needed to protect the door (is Alice a princess?) and now I've got to head back to Traverse Town to find out where to go next.

Time to say goodbye to everyone and head off for a new hidden world that will allow me to sneak back to the hollow. I've got a long thankless flight ahead of me and again the difficulty has ranked up so it's just not that much fun to play. Bloody Gummy Ship, I hope they drop it for Kingdom Hearts 2.

Oh my now this is fan service. I love the Fantasia films so facing off against this guy is a real treat. He's hard as nails too, summoning up gigantic sheets of fire and throwing missiles at you with abandonment. Hopefully I'm near the end of the game now.

49 minutes ago, strider said:

Bloody Gummy Ship, I hope they drop it for Kingdom Hearts 2.

:ph34r:

I actually loaded up KH2 a few days ago. I was surprised to find I hadn't dropped it at a difficulty spike, but clearly just because I got bored. I played a bit more before remembering why that was.:D

I do want to see it through at some point though, for some reason.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

:ph34r:

I actually loaded up KH2 a few days ago. I was surprised to find I hadn't dropped it at a difficulty spike, but clearly just because I got bored. I played a bit more before remembering why that was.:D

I do want to see it through at some point though, for some reason.

I'm on Rechained now and the rot is starting to set in, I think it's because it's simply rehashing all the worlds from the first game. I hope they don't do that for Kingdom Hearts 2.

Just now, strider said:

I'm on Rechained now and the rot is starting to set in, I think it's because it's simply rehashing all the worlds from the first game. I hope they don't do that for Kingdom Hearts 2.

I think I ended up watching a Let's Play of Re:Chain as it got ridiculously tricky later on. I'd probably just do the same if I were you, or better yet just find the cutscenes on YouTube.

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember Chain of Memories being a GBA game originally. Re:Chain was a quick and dirty remake using assets from KH1, which is why it feels like so much of a rehash. KH2 returns to some of the same places, but it's a completely new game.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I think I ended up watching a Let's Play of Re:Chain as it got ridiculously tricky later on. I'd probably just do the same if I were you, or better yet just find the cutscenes on YouTube.

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember Chain of Memories being a GBA game originally. Re:Chain was a quick and dirty remake using assets from KH1, which is why it feels like so much of a rehash. KH2 returns to some of the same places, but it's a completely new game.

Yeah Chain was on GBA originally with a really charming artstyle.