Disney Dreamlight Valley - Early Access/Game Pass

moosegrinder

Try not to vomit while you watch that. It seems aimed at a very specific audience HOWEVER my very half arsed and cursory google shows it's supposed to be pretty good. And it's on Game Pass! Hurrah! Going to give it a go once my slow arsed internet gets it on my Xbox. Anyone actually played it and how much did you hate it/yourself after?

I've played it. It's very okay, but by no means a bad time. I do like Disney stuff, though, so there's that. The audience is 'People who would get excited about a cool new Mickey Mouse wallpaper' and that's definitely me.

I suppose the biggest 10/10 GOTY element I've encountered so far is crafting that is fast and lets you stack as many jobs as you want, which was always my biggest irritation with Animal Crossing.

I'll be interested to see how the monetisation works later on in the game or next year when it goes proper F2P, though. As it stands, the only thing I can see is buying seasonal passes that let you get time-limited cosmetics, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if some more nefarious stuff comes in later. 

28 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

Had a couple of hours with the daughter earlier (we’re both Disney fans) and yeah it’s pretty much as described above. The performance on XSX is fucking awful though. Super framesy. 

Weird, it's solid on mine. Or I've not noticed. I'll pay more attention and see.

Performance chat is interesting - I read somewhere that it was maybe supposed to be 60fps on X but is only running at 30. 

I’ve been playing it on Series S and can’t say I’ve noticed any glaring performance problems. 

It's definitely not 69 but it seems to run fine for me. Not noticed any significant drops.

Am I right in thinking the moons are the premium currency? If you play the Game Pass version you get a founders pack which gives you like 8000 of them. Seems generous. There's no Fortnite like system of outright buying cosmetics that I can see.

40 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's definitely not 69 but it seems to run fine for me. Not noticed any significant drops.

Am I right in thinking the moons are the premium currency? If you play the Game Pass version you get a founders pack which gives you like 8000 of them. Seems generous. There's no Fortnite like system of outright buying cosmetics that I can see.

That’s the only hint of a premium currency I’ve seen so far. It almost seems too fair, particularly from Gameloft. 

I’ve played a handful more hours and unlocked/found NPC progress that unlocks cosmetics etc. And now I take back my ‘it’s okay’ — I think this might secretly be great!

Having a bit more focus/little quests really gives it a distinct flavour compared to AC. 

It's fucking moreish. The dream thingy currency unlocks more of the world things and overworld area, and you get that by doing a million menial busy work bullshit tasks, and every character has ten ranks go friendship and YOU CAN GET SCROOGE MC-FUCKING-DUCKS HAT. Although he's much shitter than Tom Nook. He's a bit of a cunt, really. But I want that hat.

So I picked this up on the switch, thought it would be a great game to play in front of my daughter, maybe even encourage her to have a go (she's only 3 mind). The performance is not good if I am honest, plenty of frame rate stutters.

That said it's quite a pleasant title, something a bit different to what I usually play and it looks pretty lovely so I am quite enjoying it. Glad I picked it up and hopefully at some point will get the little un to have a go which I am looking forward to :) 

11 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I have three pieces of "mail" from having that game pass version, and all I get is an error when I try to redeem them.

I've done the whole cloud save thing it wanted me to do as well, so I can't work out the issue.

Otherwise, it's been OK to play but fuck me is the fishing controls annoying as hell, I don't mind the holding the button down to make the circle go forward but was it so hard to make it, so it goes into the direction I'm looking?!?!

I unlocked the premium stuff with the free moonbucks, mainly so I could get the various 'Up' items. I then went and gave away one of the Buzz Lightyear items from it in a quest, because I was sure I could re-order it from Scrooge's shop (it was visible in the catalog while I had it in my inventory, but gone after I gave it away). 😭

I've opened the first three realms and got a character from each to come back to the village, need to increase friendship levels and unlock the next biome before I can get anyone else though.

Still need to let the kids see it as well, but worried I might not get a shot afterwards!

18 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

I have three pieces of "mail" from having that game pass version, and all I get is an error when I try to redeem them.

I've done the whole cloud save thing it wanted me to do as well, so I can't work out the issue.

Otherwise, it's been OK to play but fuck me is the fishing controls annoying as hell, I don't mind the holding the button down to make the circle go forward but was it so hard to make it, so it goes into the direction I'm looking?!?!

Hurm, that's odd. Reboot the game/console and see if it works?

And yeah, there's some QOL shit they need to sort. Making paths is horrific, cooking is tedious and yeah, the fishing is absolutely bizarre in how you're supposed to aim to the pools.

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Hurm, that's odd. Reboot the game/console and see if it works?

And yeah, there's some QOL shit they need to sort. Making paths is horrific, cooking is tedious and yeah, the fishing is absolutely bizarre in how you're supposed to aim to the pools.

Aye, I've tried the usual stuff with no joy.

Oh, damn I've not tried the cooking or anything else atm as trying to raise coins for a certain duck...

You'll get more coins if you cook up a few meals with the ingredients rather than just selling stuff outright.

You unlock extra recipes just by cooking them once, and if you select a recipe you'll get an option to auto-fill the ingredients. Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to cook multiples like the crafting does, but it's worth playing around with.

2 minutes in and I'm sure I've stumbled upon my first bug. During the character creation I named my dude "Rayn" as per usual in video games. 

The game has just started and Merlin keeps referring to me as Player Name :D 

4 hours ago, Squigs said:

Yeah but then you can go outside your house and hear WALL•E humming along to 'Put On Your Sunday Clothes' and everything is good again.

And that was all it took. 

Downloading this now. 

4 hours ago, Squigs said:

Yeah but then you can go outside your house and hear WALL•E humming along to 'Put On Your Sunday Clothes' and everything is good again.

12 minutes ago, cassidy said:

And that was all it took. 

Downloading this now. 

I think the soundtrack in general is my favourite thing. Just the little Disney melodies, all well orchestrated. Makes so much difference to the feel of wandering about. 

• moosegrinder changed the title to Disney Dreamlight Valley - Early Access/Game Pass